PDA

View Full Version : Shifting Question

Superkirby
07-18-2012, 09:26 AM
I have a 93 Cherokee with 83k and had a question about shifting. I know all vehicles shift a little different, and this is my first Jeep so it could be perfectly normal. So what's normal for a Jeep?
On mine, going from first to second it seems like it shifts later than it should and always shifts pretty hard. It does this every time. The rests of the gears are pretty smooth when shifting, but it does seem to me like they should shift a lot sooner. It also doesn't seem to want to go to the next gear when driving around town.
Like I said, this could be perfectly normal for a Jeep and that's fine. I've had vehicles that have had transmission problems before and those were never consistant until they got really bad. Also would have CEL on. This one is very consistan with it's shift which makes me wonder if it's just a Jeep thing/
If it does sound like something is a little off, where should I start looking?
Thanks for the help guys.
Vince

oderdene
07-18-2012, 10:54 AM
how recently changed transmission fluid? do she have service book? it maybe solenoid in transmission. if you have a plan to change trans fluid clean 3 solenoids same time.

http://www.xjtalk.com/showthread.php?t=7265

What is the CEL code? Try ON-OFF tricj to get codes.

code retrieval & details:
http://www.xjtalk.com/showpost.php?p=60842&postcount=6

Superkirby
07-18-2012, 11:22 AM
No CEL, sorry for the confusion. I meant that in the past I've had 2 vehicles that had CEL's come on when they started shifting different. This one has no CEL and shifts the same every time.
I don't have any service history on it. I was figuring it was probably due for some new transmission fluid and a new filter. I've been holding off as I would like to add a second filter somewhere in the line and would prefer to do it all at once.

oderdene
07-18-2012, 11:40 AM
sorry for misunderstanding bro,

yeah, fluid/filter change and solenoid clean are super combo. hope it helps.

BlueXJ
07-19-2012, 02:12 AM
Does it act like it is slipping?
I can't remember which year they quit having a power/comfort switch. If it has one put it on the other setting and see if shifting changes.

bigjim350
07-19-2012, 02:26 AM
Mine was low on fluid once and would shift hard from 1-2 and would hold gears longer than it should. I'd check the fluid.

Superkirby
07-19-2012, 09:19 AM
I will double check fluid. I checked it the other day and it looked ok, but it's also possible the jeep wasn't entirely level. It seems like everything out here is sloped just enough to make things difficult.

There's no power/comfort switch. It doesn't really seem like it's slipping, just as bigjim described it - shifting hard from 1-2 and holding gears longer than it seems like it should.

Superkirby
07-20-2012, 08:23 PM
I took the Jeep out today and drove it around, got it good and warm then parked it on a level surface, left it in park per the dipstick and checked the transmission fluid. Good and red, doesn't smell burnt, and about a half inch too full. Whatever that interprets to. So my question - I know too full is bad. Can it cause the symptoms I described earlier? What's the best way to drain it slowly?

Mudderoy
07-20-2012, 11:14 PM
I took the Jeep out today and drove it around, got it good and warm then parked it on a level surface, left it in park per the dipstick and checked the transmission fluid. Good and red, doesn't smell burnt, and about a half inch too full. Whatever that interprets to. So my question - I know too full is bad. Can it cause the symptoms I described earlier? What's the best way to drain it slowly?

I can't say if it would cause the symptoms, but having the right amount of fluid in there is the right thing. So drain some out. You might want to start with draining 1/2 a quart. Then drive it around getting the fluid hot again and check it.

4.3LXJ
07-20-2012, 11:41 PM
I haven't found having a little too much is much of an issue. Having too little though is a big deal.

BlueXJ
07-21-2012, 08:21 AM
I agree with 4.3LXJ a little over is not too bad but a little under is very bad.