PDA

View Full Version : XJ overheating???

95xj
07-16-2012, 07:36 PM
just wondering if my jeep is overheating or is it the temp its suppose to run at?
the other day i noticed it was running a little over 210 degrees, so i drained the coolat and put a new thermostat in and its still running 210 and over. anybody have any input???

WyoXJ
07-16-2012, 07:56 PM
Thats where mine runs all the time, unless the dang thing is over heating that is.

95xj
07-16-2012, 08:03 PM
alright i wast sure thanks, and its been running that hot for a while so i guess its not overheating then :beer:

Carves
07-16-2012, 08:32 PM
just wondering if my jeep is overheating or is it the temp its suppose to run at?
the other day i noticed it was running a little over 210 degrees, so i drained the coolat and put a new thermostat in and its still running 210 and over. anybody have any input???

Its fairly typical for any vehicle to run at about 5* or 10* over the thermostat temp rating.

As long as the computer doesnt need to regularly turn the electric aux fan on at 220* ... your cooling system is probably fine.

If the fan is being turned on regularly ... You need to consider whether the driving load and/or high ambient weather temps are a cause - and drive accordingly ;) ... or ...

... whether one - or all of the cooling system components are not doing the job properly and the climbing temp - is a request for some cooling system maintenance ..

The XJs cooling system is a bit more finicky than most vehicles in that it needs, all, the cooling system components - to be in good condition to ensure the running temp doesnt get hotter.

Additionally ... and in IMHO ... the factory cooling system is really only suited for a grocery getter on a cool day .....

So some worthwhile improvements are ...;

a better performing rad ....

... and/or improved airflow which can help maximise, the limited cooling potential of the undersized radiator dimensions.

BigBear
07-19-2012, 05:23 PM
Low coolant?

89Laredo
07-20-2012, 01:16 AM
Should be 210 or under. Sounds like you need to drop 5-10°

bluedragon436
07-20-2012, 01:23 PM
Mine randomly runs at roughly 210... and that is after a full flush, and replacement of radiator, antifreeze, thermostat and both hoses.. I don't like it... but it is the same temp it's been running at since I bought it, as well as a couple other friends' XJ's, ZJ's run... so won't say it is ideal... but seems to be the norm

Carves
07-20-2012, 05:58 PM
Something else to consider in regard to running temps .... is the operating specs of the t'stat.

In a few of the earlier XJ factory manuals ... it mentions the fully open temp of the fitted 195* t'stat is 220* ...

Now whether that's a misprint ... or chrysler requested a 195* t'stat with 205*/210* t'stat characteristics ... I dont know ...

.... but that high a temp and the poor characteristics of the XJs sized rad - is not conducive to happy running temps IMHO.

I do know that the aftermarket 195* t'stat I use - is specced to normally begin opening at 194* and be fully open at 207* .... altho the one fitted at the moment is behaving like a 190* t'stat ... which is a good thing IMHO.

.... and even tho weather temps were only 60*, during the great mall run of Jul 2012, highway and town driving .... The running temp was a rock steady 194*, with 192* and 196* displaying occaisionly. Gets a coupla degrees warmer in summer months.

4.3LXJ
07-20-2012, 08:13 PM
My tstat, although for a Chevy seems to open a little before that. My fan switch switches on at 200 and off at 190. The fan cycles even on a hot day. Also, just for giggles I drilled a small hole in the base of it. It allows a small amount of coolant to pass, but not enough to not let it warm up. It evens out the operation