PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use Dupli-color??

apeXJudge824
07-16-2012, 05:33 PM
Spent half the day prepping the roof of my XJ to get ready to spray on the American flag..:D

dont worry i will post pics later in the week of the finished product:patriot:

Anyways.. i bought duplicolor paint shop finishing stuff and had high hopes, also had an HVLP gun with regulator..

well paint was coming out like crap.. and i troubleshot the gun as much as i could.. to try and better describe how the paint came out of the gun... well lets just say it was not misty it was blotchy, half mist half heavy

i was just wondering if anyone ever tried thinning it with acetone cause im not sure what else it could be, unless the regulator on my gun is not regulating.. ha ha

thanks for any info

PS i will keep painting blotchy or not, it evens out alright, besides im not a professional :spongebob:

bigjim350
07-16-2012, 06:19 PM
I would thin it with lacquer thinner since its a lacquer based paint.

XJMJeep
07-17-2012, 12:34 AM
Ive used it quite a bit but only in the rattle can style.
Had good luck with it so far.

I painted my Wife's YJ half doors with it, I think it turned out ok

http://i1205.photobucket.com/albums/bb432/XJMJeep/Tank%20Mod/100_1376.jpg

LizardRunner
07-18-2012, 04:04 PM
Lacquer thinner is the correct thinner for that paint. If you don't thin it, it will shoot like crap, as will all automotive paints. Now if you want the spider web effect of the late 60's and early 70's then you use no thinner and stand back about 3-4 feet and spray. It will come out in threads. It's also a good idea to add a little fish eye inhibitor so it won't flash too fast.