PDA

View Full Version : Recent Offroad trip

wixomga
07-16-2012, 04:11 PM
Myself and a few comrades ran Bulldog canyon near Phoenix, AZ over the weekend. Since the last time I was there, the road has changed to almost a super highway (by rough comparison). The first time I ran Bulldog early last year, I had to be spotted over some very rough areas. Granted my XJ has had some modifications that made it much easier to do the run, but it was so easy it took some of the fun away (still great to get out with family and friends no matter what). I was surprised to get checked by a Forest Service ranger for the required permit. (I did have it, but only because I was reminded twice by my son). One of our party didn't have his, and he almost got asked to leave. He talked the ranger into letting him off because he had old permits in his possession and knew some of the rangers from past times. So a heads-up; they do check. This was a night run with very little moonlight, so maybe the rough spots weren't visible, and I was too dumb to pay attention?

I did have trouble with my AW4. I could never get it to go to 2nd from 1st, and it only rarely downshifted to 2nd from 3rd (I was in Low range). It was awkward transitioning from 1st for a steep downhill and steep uphill, as it almost always shifted from 3rd to 1st (manual shift) with a jerk. Is this the way this transmission is supposed to behave?

Mudderoy
07-24-2012, 01:47 AM
Myself and a few comrades ran Bulldog canyon near Phoenix, AZ over the weekend. Since the last time I was there, the road has changed to almost a super highway (by rough comparison). The first time I ran Bulldog early last year, I had to be spotted over some very rough areas. Granted my XJ has had some modifications that made it much easier to do the run, but it was so easy it took some of the fun away (still great to get out with family and friends no matter what). I was surprised to get checked by a Forest Service ranger for the required permit. (I did have it, but only because I was reminded twice by my son). One of our party didn't have his, and he almost got asked to leave. He talked the ranger into letting him off because he had old permits in his possession and knew some of the rangers from past times. So a heads-up; they do check. This was a night run with very little moonlight, so maybe the rough spots weren't visible, and I was too dumb to pay attention?

I did have trouble with my AW4. I could never get it to go to 2nd from 1st, and it only rarely downshifted to 2nd from 3rd (I was in Low range). It was awkward transitioning from 1st for a steep downhill and steep uphill, as it almost always shifted from 3rd to 1st (manual shift) with a jerk. Is this the way this transmission is supposed to behave?

I didn't respond to this initially because I wasn't sure. It's pretty rare that a post doesn't get a response around here so this should wake up this thread. :D

I guess you've already checked the fluid level, color, and smell?

LizardRunner
07-24-2012, 08:47 AM
sounds like a bit of a clog, time to change the fluid and filter.

wixomga
07-25-2012, 01:42 PM
Actually, I haven't checked the fluid level, color, etc. since the last service (several months ago), so duh thanks, I will do that before I get too excited. On a normal road test (2WD), I started out in 1st gear, and it finally up-shifted to 2nd at around 4000 rpm; a little much for most off-road conditions. I understand the shift points are controlled by the PCM, so I am looking into what I can do with that as well.

Mudderoy
07-25-2012, 01:47 PM
Actually, I haven't checked the fluid level, color, etc. since the last service (several months ago), so duh thanks, I will do that before I get too excited. On a normal road test (2WD), I started out in 1st gear, and it finally up-shifted to 2nd at around 4000 rpm; a little much for most off-road conditions. I understand the shift points are controlled by the PCM, so I am looking into what I can do with that as well.

Yeah I think mine shifts closer to 3000, I'll pay more attention on the way home.