PDA

View Full Version : Switch on back of 242 question

workgoats
07-16-2012, 12:01 AM
I looked at a wiring diagram and it appears that the switch on the back of the 242 case works like a neutral start switch, going to ground when in 4x.

I've installed the case in a project and would like to be able to tell when the transfer is locked but cannot seem to get a ground or continuity between the two wires in any range selection.

Does this switch have problems or need to be cleaned or am I barking up the wrong tree? I have been there before.

cantab27
07-16-2012, 12:06 AM
are you talking about nss switch...if so this is how ya clean it

http://www.xjtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1747

4.3LXJ
07-16-2012, 12:13 AM
Ron, I don't have a wiring diagram for it, but I do have an instrument cluster from a rig with a 242 tcase. The two lights both have shared grounds with other lights. So I am guessing there has to be a positive hot to the switch in and out with no ground at the switch.

workgoats
07-16-2012, 07:10 AM
Ron, I don't have a wiring diagram for it, but I do have an instrument cluster from a rig with a 242 tcase. The two lights both have shared grounds with other lights. So I am guessing there has to be a positive hot to the switch in and out with no ground at the switch.

Okay, I don't have the instrument cluster. It left with what was left of the donor XJ. I have the transfer mounted to a 727 and the instrument cluster I am using is for a CJ. I guess I will take the thing apart and see why it won't make contact.

oderdene
07-16-2012, 11:40 AM
Ron, have you checked switch operation and/or is it worked on donor XJ?

Unbolt switch from tcase and check operation. Push rod like thing and measure short between contacts. if it 0 ohm, it works and you may check lever adjustment, maybe open tcase for future investigation.

http://www.moparsparesaustralia.com.au/images/56006755.jpg

4.3LXJ
07-16-2012, 11:43 AM
Also, on this cluster, Full Time is yellow on black. Part time is red on black.

workgoats
07-16-2012, 12:21 PM
I pulled the switch. It doesn't do anything.

I don't know how long the donor truck sat. It had a salvage title out of Kansas and the guy we got it from said it would run. He was obviously mistaken.

It was missing enough stuff that he could not have possibly made it run.

Any way, NAPA can get me a switch.

I've started building a hood for the project so I won't mess with this for a few days.

Thanks for all your help.

workgoats
11-18-2012, 01:26 PM
Just for informational value, I bought a new switch from NAPA. It took it a couple of days to get here.

I wired it as a ground to two separate lights on my dash. One shows when it is in full time mode and the other shows when the transfer is locked. I don't remember what I paid for the new switch, but it was worth whatever it cost.