PDA

View Full Version : Rear Leafs?

XJexpedition
07-14-2012, 01:14 AM
I'm looking at BDS. The leafs aren't short/long arm dependent right? I think the 4.5" RC Lift the XJ I might be trading for just has the "add a leaf" lift for rear. I'm wanting 5.5" to 6.5" rear leafs.

Is there better companies out there to go with? What is involved with going with that much lift? Longer Drive Shaft? SYE Conversion?

Just going over options to see if I should stick with 4.5" in the rear, looks like it's a little lower than front though.

XJ Wheeler
07-14-2012, 01:30 AM
Leaf springs aren't a short/long thing like control arms, although some have spun them around 180° to add a few inches to their wheelbase.

For 6 inches of lift a sye is pretty much mandatory. It replaces the tail shaft on the t-case with a much shorter one to add length to the driveshaft so the angles aren't so steep that it binds. Thus with a sye a longer driveshaft is necessary. A lot of people choose to use a xj front driveshaft for the rear then, now what the parameters are to be able to do that i'm not sure.

With lifting with leaf springs, as you seem to know, its always better to go with a full leaf replacement instead of add-a-leafs. Its also much better to incorporate lift shackles into the lift. The longer shackles provide a better ride and more flex. So if your planning on about 5.5", use a 4.5" spring and a 1" shackle.

Hope this info is helpful.

bigjim350
07-14-2012, 02:52 AM
Yes a sye is a good idea. However I am at 6.5" with only a tcase drop and rear axle shims with no vibes. And I would also agree, go with 4.5" leafs and get the rest of the lift from shackles

Sent from my nerdy smartphone

XJ Wheeler
07-14-2012, 03:13 AM
Yes a sye is a good idea. However I am at 6.5" with only a tcase drop and rear axle shims with no vibes. And I would also agree, go with 4.5" leafs and get the rest of the lift from shackles

Sent from my nerdy smartphone

Really, didn't know it was possible. Ya learn something new everyday... just remembering it. I do think it is harder on the newer xj's to keep them from vibin' when they're lifted more than 3".

XJexpedition
07-14-2012, 07:01 AM
OK so 4.5" Leafs, 1" Shackles. Who should I go to for each? I know BDS from all the CJs I've had. I've also had Skyjacker lifts on a few of my CJs and was satisfied.

I have a welder and want to build a roof rack and put full size spare there. I was thinking swing away rear bumper but it has 31s now, and I'll be going to 33x11.5 BFG KM2s when I wear the 31s out.

Sent from my Rooted and Custom Motorola Photon using TapaTalk2 Pro

4x4Dalton
07-25-2012, 03:04 PM
I did a j/y lift on mine 5 inch and did no changin underneath.(Yeah I know Jim...Redneck lol)Rides good and no vibes.