PDA

View Full Version : Trans fluid change, synthentic or not?

dagod16
07-12-2012, 10:18 PM
Ok, so tom or sat I am getting my trans fluid changed, drop pan, new filter and refill. No power flush.

Some are saying no synthetic and some are saying to use synthetic.

I need some comments?

Thanks

Rob

4.3LXJ
07-12-2012, 10:23 PM
If you go synthetic, you will need a flush to do it. Expensive. But it does make a difference in the life of the trans. It handles the heat better than paraffin based oils.

dagod16
07-12-2012, 10:28 PM
Ive done a power flush on other vehicles and will never do one again.

So what your saying is I might have regular non synthetic in it now and when I drain and fill I might only get half synthetic back into the system and then I will have a 50/50 mix of old and new.

Is that going to hurt anything?

The synthetic going in is going to be pennzoil automatic tranny fluid synthetic.

4.3LXJ
07-12-2012, 10:29 PM
I don't think they mix too well

dagod16
07-12-2012, 10:32 PM
Well HELL,

Now what do I do, I want the synthetic fluid arggggg.

I have no problems with my tranny, the fluid is about 40K and I thought I would change it. The fluid is not a nice cherry red, It's not brown but its not red so it's time. Don't smell bad at all.

4.3LXJ
07-12-2012, 10:35 PM
Synthetic is better. I have had mine in for four years now, still nice and red. Plus I use a slightly higher viscosity designed for motorhomes and such so it will take more heat.

dagod16
07-12-2012, 10:37 PM
My 2001 jeep cherokee xj has 175K on it and runs great, original trans and engine. I just replace the thermostat, water pump, fan clutch, new serpentine belt and put some greese on door. IT runs great. DId all the work myself and did a good job, went slow and let the rtv sealer dry 24 hours like the instructions say and no leaks after one week. About to go on a 3 hour trip.
I also replaced the upper and lower hoses, I did find one hose had a warn spot.
Runs with AC on at about 205 and with AC on while sitting at a red light it's about 210 on the nose.

dagod16
07-12-2012, 10:41 PM
Well I think it will be ok if I add some synthetic and then just keep using synthetic. Doesn't synthetic reduce the heat?

How long can my tranny last? Heck how long will this jeep last, I take good care of it. In six years my son will be 16... I was kinda hoping that maybe it would be a good starter vehicle for him.

Any other trans fluid advice?

dagod16
07-13-2012, 07:52 AM
Steve,

Some people say the seals that keep it from leaking aren't designed for it and when I add synthetic it will leak.

I called the dealership and they said synthetic is fine.

and you say you have been using it for a few years, and slippage problems after having synthetic put in or did it shift better??

dagod16
07-13-2012, 08:28 AM
Ok how do I know what type of transmission I have?

Do I have an aw4 or a 727/999 transmission?

Hmmmm

4.3LXJ
07-13-2012, 09:53 AM
Steve,

Some people say the seals that keep it from leaking aren't designed for it and when I add synthetic it will leak.

I called the dealership and they said synthetic is fine.

and you say you have been using it for a few years, and slippage problems after having synthetic put in or did it shift better??

You will get a little seep with synthetic. I have. But not enough to measure. I have a seal on the pan that is supposed to be for synthetic, but it seeps a little anyway. Just enough to let the dust stick. Also, my Atlas has Amsoil in it and it gets a little moist too. However, I have found some stuff called "The Right Stuff" that sems to work well. No seepage yet on the Subaru oil pan.

89Laredo
07-13-2012, 09:54 AM
If its a cherokee the only auto ever used in them behind the 4.0 was the aw4...

I dont think synthetic is a good idea, but I'm on my phone and dont want to type that much.

4.3LXJ
07-13-2012, 09:55 AM
All 4.0 XJs had the AW4

Mudderoy
07-13-2012, 10:59 AM
I trust Steve and what he says, especially since he's done it, but personally I'm not going to use anything in the AW4 but the Dex III/Merc. I know Chrysler dealers stopped carrying it but I read that was because they were saving $$$.

I can't rebuild the AW4 so I'm not taking any chances with my transmission. They last 200k+ miles with the DexIII/Merc. I'd add a transmission cooler if you want to extend the life.

XJ Wheeler
07-13-2012, 11:40 AM
All 4.0 XJs had the AW4

Just so you could re-read it.:rolleye0012:

dagod16
07-13-2012, 04:52 PM
Ok guys,

I went to
Speed Lube Cost would be 74.95 + tax but they don't have my filter.

I called the jeep dealership in bloomington IL, they want $179 + tax.:yack:

I called performance transmission located in town which only does transmissions
they will do a trans fluid and filter change for $100+ tax. And they will show me the pan and the fluid after they take it out so I know what I am looking at and what is good and bad.

I asked them how many miles I can get on this AW4 transmission.

he asked how many highway miles I had on it.... I said about 90% of the 175,000...... He said I could go into the 200,000 miles or more range if I have been gentle with it and had regular fluid changes. He said some people bring in their vehicle and the fluid has never been changed and it's black. I said well that's not me, I follow the manual and do regular maint. He said then you are getting the benefits of it lasting this long.

He also said they don't make Dexron II and Dexron III is now used and will work fine.

I decided I am not switching to synthetic. The transmission is working fine, doesn't shift hard, why fix something or change something when it works fine.

any thoughts.

Ok so leave some comments.

89Laredo
07-13-2012, 05:26 PM
Good choice with regular DIII.
AW4 will do 350+ if taken care of, I know someone with 375k.

dagod16
07-13-2012, 10:59 PM
Not in my wildest dreams could I imagine a tranny that makes it to 300K, seriously that would be amazing. Well I will be at 200K in about a year and a half so full steam ahead.

dagod16
07-13-2012, 11:00 PM
I forgot to say my jeep is garage kept, winter and summer!!!!! All year long really!

4.3LXJ
07-13-2012, 11:12 PM
Robert, the biggest favor you can do for your tranny is put a good cooler on it. Heat is the enemy of paraffin based oils.

kidrock666
07-14-2012, 04:10 AM
My XJ came with a stock cooler, but I am going to upgrade it to a bigger b&m cooler and fit a temp gauge so I can keep an eye on it!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dagod16
07-14-2012, 06:19 AM
I wouldn't have the slightest idea of how to do that.

gary63
07-14-2012, 09:02 AM
lucus tran conditioner helps and put alittle in your t-case it helps fight off the vornishing tran. fluid dos when it gets hot.

kidrock666
07-14-2012, 05:30 PM
lucus tran conditioner helps and put alittle in your t-case it helps fight off the vornishing tran. fluid dos when it gets hot.

Sounds good, if only they sold stuff like that over here....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4.3LXJ
07-14-2012, 06:12 PM
Where is "over here" Simon?

gary63
07-14-2012, 09:04 PM
he has down southend-on-sea,essex,England but were is that tryed to google it.

kidrock666
07-15-2012, 02:34 AM
https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?client=safari&oe=UTF-8&q=southend&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Southend-on-Sea,+United+Kingdom&gl=uk&t=m&z=13&vpsrc=0&iwloc=A

its here :D

we never get useful stuff like that over here....

gary63
07-15-2012, 08:16 AM
found you

4.3LXJ
07-15-2012, 09:52 AM
OK, gotcha. I am surprised you don't have Lucas products there. You might check a place that carries for instance Fel Pro gaskets. I know that one of our members here in the Netherlands can order them, but not sure through whom. My theory is that if they can get those US products, they may be able to get others.

kidrock666
07-15-2012, 03:10 PM
OK, gotcha. I am surprised you don't have Lucas products there. You might check a place that carries for instance Fel Pro gaskets. I know that one of our members here in the Netherlands can order them, but not sure through whom. My theory is that if they can get those US products, they may be able to get others.

I have to order most stuff from the US...

i can get some bits over here, but a lot of it is REALLY expensive, especially Royal Purple

4.3LXJ
07-15-2012, 04:07 PM
Royal Purple is really expensive here too. I use Red Line products for synthetic oil. Also, you might check and see if Amsoil is available for a decent price there.

gary63
07-15-2012, 07:08 PM
United Kingdom
Lucas Oil Products UK Ltd
Unit 4 Cunliffe Drive
Llangefni Industrial Estate
Llangefni
Anglesey
LL77 7JA
Tel : 01248 723 666
Freefone: 0808 100 3259
Fax: 01248 723 275
E-mail: [email protected]
Web: www.lucasoil.co.uk

try this address it is the uk branch good luck

Carves
07-15-2012, 07:12 PM
Robert, the biggest favor you can do for your tranny is put a good cooler on it. Heat is the enemy of paraffin based oils.

X 2 ... :thumbsup:

My XJ came with a stock cooler, but I am going to upgrade it to a bigger b&m cooler and fit a temp gauge so I can keep an eye on it!!

Have a good look at the routing of the tranny lines.

RHD ones down here - have the external, factory fitted, cooler too ... but whereas the LHD model, tranny lines, run through this little thing in the cold end of the rad ....

http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n629/carves-oz/Vehicle%20Bits/In-RadiatorHeatExchanger.jpg

.... on the RHD models it runs through the hot end of the rad :bang: ... Which basically makes the external, factory fitted, cooler on a RHD model ... non effective - as additional, cooling to the overall tranny temps.

Electronic gauges with bolt on thermocouplers are real handy ... for being able to keep tab on a variety of the XJs temperature "hotspots" ... without a cabin full of individual gauges ......

Something like this ... :link: --> http://www.xjtalk.com/showthread.php?t=8703

dagod16
07-15-2012, 11:18 PM
Im not sure I even know what those things in the pictures are? Is that an alien anal probe? JK ummmm where did those parts come from? are those from my xj? Is this something I can do? Am I upgrading those pictures?

Carves
07-16-2012, 01:41 AM
Im not sure I even know what those things in the pictures are? Is that an alien anal probe? JK ummmm where did those parts come from? are those from my xj? Is this something I can do? Am I upgrading those pictures?

Thats whats already inside your radiator ... that the tranny lines connect to.

In your case its dangling in the "cooled" coolant ... whereas R.H.D. XJs have them dangling in the other end of the rad ... i.e. the "hot" coolant.

dagod16
07-16-2012, 09:16 AM
So if i upgraded i would take that out of the hot side and it gets installed on the cool side?
How much would this lower my temp?

dagod16
07-23-2012, 05:59 PM
Ok update.....

The trans fluid was done a few hours ago.

They dropped the pan, and the fluid sure did look more brown when it was coming out the bottom than when I pulled the dip stick. Almost no metal fragments on the magnet tab. More like small dust particles that bunched together. The guy doing the work said that looks good and he said the fluid is supposed to change color a bit towards brown as it gets used. They also changed the filter. Runs great, isn't shifting any better but it wasn't shifting bad to begin with.

I had them add dex III just like the book says. Not a problem. why try something different when nothing is wrong with it and everything is working great.

I love it that I have a toyota transmission.