PDA

View Full Version : Welcome NoCoScarlett46!!!

cantab27
07-12-2012, 09:22 PM
Hi NoCoScarlett46, welcome to the xjtalk forum!

We would love to know more about you and your Jeep. How you found us, etc...

Check out "Announcements" "How to post an image" for help posting images.

Got a Wrangler? Maybe a friend with one? http://www.WranglerTalk.com/

NoCoScarlett46
07-12-2012, 10:28 PM
Hi, my name is Kate. I moved to Northern Colorado around a year ago, and had always wanted a Jeep. Shortly after my 1st gen neon died I decided i might as well take the plunge since I was in awesome 4x4 country. I started to get into 4x4ing and while i'm still a beginner, I love it. I bought Scarlett with 157,000 miles and she now has almost 178,000 in under a year. She's seen Moab including parts of Metal Masher, I've taken her to great Sand Dunes national park, the North Sand Hills in Walden CO, and she's seen a little of some backwoods in Northern Wyoming outside of Yellowstone. Safe to safe I refuse to get rid of her anytime soon and I have a lot of projects planned for her. She does need some help though and that's the main reason I decided to join a forum. I'm pretty certain she has some major transfer case issues, along with various other issues i need to sort out. I'm Really hoping to get some insight, just go easy on me when I say I'm a beginner that's an understatement.

Problems I think are involving the transfer case include dull grinding noise...rpm jumps in first in second gear...noise worse at a stop.. and on the highway if i don't a clean shifts in (keep in mind it's automatic) it doesnt shift to OD and tries to stay at 3100 RPM instead which makes my gas mileage worse than usual, I did figured out that if I pull over and turn it off wait a sec and go again sometimes it will shift right. Any thoughts?:pray:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-joYTimn4Ee4/T_-SkykkRbI/AAAAAAAABJQ/8IlMJ-BEZZc/s144/464454_10150878096158704_133354362_o.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-RFXzF29M8NQ/T_-VzrHZgHI/AAAAAAAABJs/Jxk8lMLNOvY/s144/411116_10150878092728704_1716372371_o.jpg

prerunner1982
07-12-2012, 10:31 PM
Welcome from Oklahoma. Colorado is great wheeling country. If you ever get the chance to do some of the mining trails around Telluride I would suggest Black Bear Pass. It is not for the faint of heart....

Welcome to our addiction!

NoCoScarlett46
07-12-2012, 10:36 PM
Thanks I'll definitely have to check that out, I haven't been to the telluride/ouray area yet but I've been meaning to. :)

cantab27
07-12-2012, 10:42 PM
grinding in tc may be the chain...couple on here have done there recently so will chip in soon.....try ya tps with the trans not working right........trans is full with oil.....nice looking xj

XJ Wheeler
07-12-2012, 11:15 PM
Hello Kate, welcome to Xjtalk.

Spent a lot of time in Colorado. You gotta go to Ouray, one of my favorite places I've been to in the country.

prerunner1982
07-12-2012, 11:18 PM
If you are in SW Colorado and need Jeep parts, let me know. My pops is a Jeep parts guy at "the" dealership in Durango.

Mudderoy
07-15-2012, 06:40 AM
Hi, my name is Kate. I moved to Northern Colorado around a year ago, and had always wanted a Jeep. Shortly after my 1st gen neon died I decided i might as well take the plunge since I was in awesome 4x4 country. I started to get into 4x4ing and while i'm still a beginner, I love it. I bought Scarlett with 157,000 miles and she now has almost 178,000 in under a year. She's seen Moab including parts of Metal Masher, I've taken her to great Sand Dunes national park, the North Sand Hills in Walden CO, and she's seen a little of some backwoods in Northern Wyoming outside of Yellowstone. Safe to safe I refuse to get rid of her anytime soon and I have a lot of projects planned for her. She does need some help though and that's the main reason I decided to join a forum. I'm pretty certain she has some major transfer case issues, along with various other issues i need to sort out. I'm Really hoping to get some insight, just go easy on me when I say I'm a beginner that's an understatement.

Problems I think are involving the transfer case include dull grinding noise...rpm jumps in first in second gear...noise worse at a stop.. and on the highway if i don't a clean shifts in (keep in mind it's automatic) it doesnt shift to OD and tries to stay at 3100 RPM instead which makes my gas mileage worse than usual, I did figured out that if I pull over and turn it off wait a sec and go again sometimes it will shift right. Any thoughts?:pray:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-joYTimn4Ee4/T_-SkykkRbI/AAAAAAAABJQ/8IlMJ-BEZZc/s144/464454_10150878096158704_133354362_o.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-RFXzF29M8NQ/T_-VzrHZgHI/AAAAAAAABJs/Jxk8lMLNOvY/s144/411116_10150878092728704_1716372371_o.jpg

:welcome: to the site!

My 1998 with 170k miles AW4 transmission started throwing check engine lights (CEL) because of the over drive not engaging. I was able to get around the issue for a few months by clearing the CEL and the over drive would start working again. I mean it would start working on the fly, as I could clear the code while driving.

This worked for a couple of months, then it just stopped working all together.

I tried and over drive solenoid, pretty easy to get to. Nothing. Eventually (December 2011) I had it rebuilt. I went over in detail with them what was wrong. The transmission was just worn. That is necessarily your issue but it was mine.

4.3LXJ
07-15-2012, 10:10 AM
Hi Kate, welcome to the forum. Even though I rebuilt my own auto tranny, I don't consider myself an expert (ever heard that joke?) Anyway one thing is certain. Transmissions need to have the oil changed. If you pull the stick and put the oil on a whit piece of paper, what color is it? As for the chain in the tcase, yes it sounds like it might be worn. Do you know which tcase you have? Do you have full time or part time 4WD?