PDA

View Full Version : Got my Jeep

Superkirby
07-11-2012, 09:44 AM
Hi everyone. I finally sold my car so last night I went and got my Jeep. It's a 93 base model with 82,xxx miles. Overall it's in pretty good shape. With those kind of miles on it, it's obviously sat for awhile. Letting a vehicle that's been driven in MN winters sit isn't so good for it, so there's some rust, but someone at least tried to stop it so it's a good start. There's no holes in the floors so that's good.
It needs a little work but that's to be expected. I'm pretty excited about it. I'm sure I'll have a lot of questions for awhile but hopefully y'all are patient.

prcjeep
07-11-2012, 10:07 AM
Looks like the same condition mine was in before I bought it! Kinda early in its life with you, but where's the flex pics??? I know you tried already :D

4.3LXJ
07-11-2012, 10:10 AM
That is low miles for a 93. Nice find

Brasscatz
07-11-2012, 10:14 AM
Very nice! Lookin forward to seeing the progress on it!

Superkirby
07-11-2012, 11:00 AM
Believe it or not, I actually haven't tried anything with it yet. I spent all day yesterday shoveling sand and by the time I got this home it was close to 9 and I still had to come home and change a well pump. To say the least I was spent and just didn't try anything. I'm sure I will though.
I have to replace the muffler first, then after that I would really like to get some gauges for it. Right now I have a speedometer, a fuel gauge, and three dummy lights that only tell you when it's too late. I would like to try to avoid problems, so plan to add a transmission temp, water temp, and probably oil pressure gauge? Any recommendations? Should I go with electric or mechanical?

4.3LXJ
07-11-2012, 11:04 AM
Gauges are easily done. Get a gauge cluster from the wrecking yard along with the temp sending unit and oil pressure unit that goes with it. It is all plug and play

XJ Wheeler
07-11-2012, 12:42 PM
Gauges are easily done. Get a gauge cluster from the wrecking yard along with the temp sending unit and oil pressure unit that goes with it. It is all plug and play

X2 and since yours is a '93 the donor cluster will have to be from a '91-'96.

cantab27
07-11-2012, 01:53 PM
ah they are so cute before they are cut up and lifted.....nice find and welcome

oderdene
07-12-2012, 03:04 AM
very nice find, waiting a progress photos. good luck bro. :D

Cheromaniac
07-12-2012, 10:14 AM
That'll be a great project car. My advice would be to fix its faults to begin with, give it a service, and do some preventive maintenance so you can build a solid foundation for modding later on.

Superkirby
07-12-2012, 09:50 PM
Thanks guys. I put a muffler and tailpipe on this evening. Tomorrow it gets a cd player and switching out the tall metal antenna for one of the short black ones. I was disappointed to see the rust underneath. I knew there was some, I guess I'm still not used to what MN winters do to a vehicle. Oh well. In my frustration, my wife says at least mechanically it's pretty good and I can always just fix the other stuff as I need to. I guess I've been needing to take up welding, so...

4.3LXJ
07-12-2012, 09:53 PM
So what is rusted?

Superkirby
07-12-2012, 10:02 PM
Nothings really rusted through yet. Just a lot of bubbling where it's started. The tank straps probably need to be replaced as they're starting to flake. There's a few other places but it's also hard to tell what's metal and what's ? I don't know what it is, but somewhere along the line somebody sprayed some sort of coating on the bottom. I don't know if it's a cheap spray on bed liner or a rubber coating or what.
Anyway, I'm sure it will be ok. Just a little frustrating to find out I have more projects than I thought.

Brasscatz
07-14-2012, 12:11 AM
You could always look at it like every new project you find is like getting a Christmas present! Jeep: The gift that keeps on giving!

XJ4IV
07-14-2012, 12:22 AM
Jeeps are like ex wives... always wanting more and NEVER being satisfied with what you already have LOL

that coating is applied to the underside of cars at the dealership prior to new car delivery, its a good thing for northerners HOPEFULLY it will have protected the undercarriage

and yes I do believe that the cluster from another cherokee SHOULD just drop on in and all the plugs will find itself! knowing how cherokees can get with cooling problems I cant understand WHY jeep would have EVER let one hit the pavement without a temp gauge