PDA

View Full Version : Park wont engage!!!

CassieF
07-11-2012, 09:42 AM
Im having a major issue with my 88 cherokee. It started yesterday ... when u put the shifter into park it doesn't seemed to go all the way into park, the jeep roles forward & if u kill it or it dies it wont start back until it fully engages. Can someone please help me I'm at my whits end with this jeep. Feel free to text me its easier 918 304 4293

Thank u so much

4.3LXJ
07-11-2012, 10:13 AM
Cassie it sounds like you might have a cable bracket loose. You are right, it won't start unless it goes into park, or neutral. For the time being, if won't start from not being in park, try neutral instead until you get it sorted out. But since it sometimes goes in all the way, I don't think it is an adjustment issue, but something easily fixed like tightening up a bolt on a bracket.

Cheromaniac
07-12-2012, 10:21 AM
Yeah, it's a near certainty that your shifter cable needs to be adjusted. You'll probably need to drop the oil pan to get at the bracket in order to loosen the bolt and adjust the cable. Not a difficult job but a bit messy, and it's easier if you have another person to operate the shifter while you're adjusting the cable in the bracket.