PDA

View Full Version : Tread Wright shoes

denverd1
07-10-2012, 02:22 PM
Anyone bit on these? I like their backbone 2 tread pattern. Crawler too...

Oh they're retreads! We used to run retreads on our big rig back in the day. I don't *think* we ever had a problem with them, running 80K lbs at 70mphs. Why wouldn't they hold up on the trail? or the street? BTW the tire I want is $120. lot better than 250.

With the price of mud treads and bigger tires, i'd have to think these could be of interest to some. The ones I want are backordered and they're out of CO. I'll call 'em later. Anyone heard of/running these?

bluedragon436
07-10-2012, 02:51 PM
I have set of the A/T's on my wife's Ram 1500 and we have gotten some good mileage and service out of them so far. I want their Guarddog's for the XJ, but unfortunately they don't offer them in 33's for 15" rims anymore... So trying to debate if I want to spend the money on a new set of rims in 16" form and then get the Guarddog's or pay the higher rate for other 33" for my current rims.. I know of a few folks running treadwrights on their rigs on and off road and they love them, a few of them have run them multiple times after the old set finally wore out..

prerunner1982
07-10-2012, 03:07 PM
Saw a thread on another forum that said Treadwright was discontinuing all 15" tire sizes. However, I didn't see that on their website.

bluedragon436
07-10-2012, 03:15 PM
I keep seeing that around the net, and I know they have a limited selection of what sizes they do carry or offer for the 15" rims, but haven't seen anything about them dropping them completely..

denverd1
07-10-2012, 03:50 PM
just spoke with them. They're a few weeks out on 285/75/16 Backbone tread. Got Guarddogs in stock (or they did when I called). $520 a set + 86 in shipping from FedEx.
https://treadwright.com/images/product/medium/55_2_.jpg

they offer a 1 year warranty on the retread; 2nd yr is prorated by tread - if they're properly inflated, cared for, yada yada.

4 tires at my door for 600, i'm interested. Mud tires have gotten out of control. And honestly, the 2 week wouldn't bother me, its not like a set of tires are an impulse buy anyway.

James, she said they have 31's in stock. and wasn't sure about other 15's... very friendly to deal with

bigbuk29
07-10-2012, 06:35 PM
I keep seeing that around the net, and I know they have a limited selection of what sizes they do carry or offer for the 15" rims, but haven't seen anything about them dropping them completely..
they have only stopped the 33/12.5/15's when i called they said they were having a hard time getting the old tires to retread, 305/70/16's is the next upgrade on my rig lol

prerunner1982
07-10-2012, 07:09 PM
they have only stopped the 33/12.5/15's when i called they said they were having a hard time getting the old tires to retread, 305/70/16's is the next upgrade on my rig lol

Yeah those have been discontinued for awhile, but it only seems recently that there is talk about 15" tire sizes all together. Perhaps someone saw the Discontinued on the 33" and over exaggerated it...

olds-cool
07-10-2012, 09:56 PM
I was looking at them a few months back and would have bought them if I hadn't found a used set of tires locally for a decent price. I only read 1 bad thing from an actual user of them. He said that one of the tires had the tread seperate from the sidewall. He also said that it was replaced under warranty with no fuss. My buddies neighbor had a set on his plow truck. He lost a lug or two and called them up. Since they didn't have a matching carcass in stock, they offered him a loaner tire untill they could find a match. That sounds like good customer service in my book. You'll find a lot of naysayers and you'll find that none of them actually run them. Most of the naysayers are scare of the word retread. They have some videos of the retread process on Youtube I think. Pretty neat to watch.

bigbuk29
07-10-2012, 10:30 PM
the process that they use for these isnt like in the old days with retreads. it has come a long way. they get a bad rap because of that, but i remember my dad running retreads when i was a kid and never had any problems

nickxj94
07-10-2012, 11:48 PM
I wonder if I sent them 4 33s if they would cap them for me? Anyone think so? I have a few guys in my offroad group that run there caps they love them one runs a all terrain cap and another runs the mtr design on his they wearing good and stick great offroad.

bigbuk29
07-11-2012, 12:42 AM
I wonder if I sent them 4 33s if they would cap them for me? Anyone think so? I have a few guys in my offroad group that run there caps they love them one runs a all terrain cap and another runs the mtr design on his they wearing good and stick great offroad.
Its worth calling the worst they can do is say no

Sneedle Vision
07-11-2012, 01:02 AM

Directly from their website....

Can I send you my tires to be retreaded?

We will take a customer’s casings to retread only if they are local to the production facility and meet our criteria. Due to the cost of shipping it is not cost effective to ship your tires, have them retreaded, and then shipped back. We can only retread the tire sizes shown on our website.

XJ Wheeler
07-11-2012, 08:30 AM
A guy i bought a sub from had the at's on his zj, he seemed to like em.

That's all i got.

nickxj94
07-11-2012, 09:31 AM
Directly from their website....

Can I send you my tires to be retreaded?

We will take a customer’s casings to retread only if they are local to the production facility and meet our criteria. Due to the cost of shipping it is not cost effective to ship your tires, have them retreaded, and then shipped back. We can only retread the tire sizes shown on our website.

Guess that's out of the question lol I just buy new ones when time comes

sent from my dead Samsung i dropped in the ice chest!

denverd1
07-11-2012, 10:58 AM
I'm curious how the recap does at low tire pressure? at 50psi i'm sure they're great, but what about 18 or 20? Seems like there could be some friction there.

Glad to hear about their customer service. Seems like they're a stand up company.

nickxj94
07-11-2012, 11:52 AM
I'm curious how the recap does at low tire pressure? at 50psi i'm sure they're great, but what about 18 or 20? Seems like there could be some friction there.

Glad to hear about their customer service. Seems like they're a stand up company.

Long as your not driving on pavement at low tire pressure and running 50 mph or higher they should be fine, my friend runs 315s mtr style recap on his tj DD he airs them down to about 8lbs when off road there holding great been on his Jeep for 6months so far

denverd1
07-11-2012, 01:47 PM
well these are sounding better and better!

nickxj94
07-11-2012, 01:55 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/18f8c232-cc1d-8e75.jpghere is a pic of my buddy Dave's tj with tread Wright's on the trail

denverd1
12-23-2015, 11:24 AM
forgot to update this thread. Bought a set of TW tires for my trail rig. They've been great! parked the jeep for 6 months with 9 lbs of air in them. I fully expected 2 of them to be flat. all 4 still held perfect air. So I decided I needed a full size spare....

I pull up treadwright and can't find my size 285/16 or 33"/16. so i email, when are you molding some 33/16 claws or crawlers (formerly backbone and backbone 2). They're not making them. smallest 16" tire they're making is a 35! They're making 16, 17 and 18" rim sized tires. I'm guess the 31/33s they have are leftovers? at any rate, I love my set of 4. but can't buy another...

they do offer a few other tread patterns. just not the aggressive MT tread I was looking for....

Dredwolf
12-24-2015, 01:41 PM
forgot to update this thread. Bought a set of TW tires for my trail rig. They've been great! parked the jeep for 6 months with 9 lbs of air in them. I fully expected 2 of them to be flat. all 4 still held perfect air. So I decided I needed a full size spare....

I pull up treadwright and can't find my size 285/16 or 33"/16. so i email, when are you molding some 33/16 claws or crawlers (formerly backbone and backbone 2). They're not making them. smallest 16" tire they're making is a 35! They're making 16, 17 and 18" rim sized tires. I'm guess the 31/33s they have are leftovers? at any rate, I love my set of 4. but can't buy another...

they do offer a few other tread patterns. just not the aggressive MT tread I was looking for....

Thanks for the info, but that is discouraging. 33-34" is pretty much the limit on my XJ's lift to flex decent, be stable enough on the Interstate, etc. And I really don't want to go higher, definitely no higher without a cage.

As my local friends would point out, "get a JK, you can run 35's easy!". :P

Okay, I am convinced, I'll go to the Chrysler dealer today.....who is providing the funding?....oh, wait, I am. Well, fudge. Next idea? :bang:

bluedragon436
12-24-2015, 03:36 PM

That's interesting, cause I had just ordered 5 33" 285/16's for my XJ a few months back, and when I talked to them about them, they said they weren't planning on dropping that size/line any time soon... wonder what changed.. I am looking forward to sometime in the next month they are going to putting out some 33" tires for 20" rims, so I can finally put some decent meats on my Ram's stock 20's (as much as I hate them)... and have heard rumor they may start making more sizes for 15" variety... guess we'll have to see on that... Can't wait to really get my TW's out on the trail and get em dirty to see how they really do!!

denverd1
12-27-2015, 05:25 PM
My understanding is new ownership. Quality went up, but apparently available sizes is going down. You're welcome on the 20s. I wrote them probably 15 emails asking for tires in 20" rim! Sold that truck and running 18s now.... which tread are you looking at?

sent from my Samsoon S5 from the bottom of a mud hole

bluedragon436
12-29-2015, 12:44 AM
My understanding is new ownership. Quality went up, but apparently available sizes is going down. You're welcome on the 20s. I wrote them probably 15 emails asking for tires in 20" rim! Sold that truck and running 18s now.... which tread are you looking at?

Oh trust me... I've been writing them about 33" tires for 20" rims for quite a few years, when my ex-wife and I were still together for her Ram, then ended up going to 18" rims for it... and have been writing about them for my Ram since I got it a few years back... Now I'm kind of thinking about going to some 18's as well.. but it sucks, cause now they don't really have any 18 sizes... so we'll see what happens... I'm not a huge fan of 20's, even factory rims, personally... but figured I'd run some beefy tires on the factory rims, just to bye some time till I get other things taken care of, and can afford a new rims/tire combo setup... As far as the tread pattern, they said they'd only be available in the Claw tread pattern... so guess that will be the one I'm looking at, if I stick with 20's... lol

denverd1
12-29-2015, 09:30 AM
Oh trust me... I've been writing them about 33" tires for 20" rims for quite a few years, when my ex-wife and I were still together for her Ram, then ended up going to 18" rims for it... and have been writing about them for my Ram since I got it a few years back... Now I'm kind of thinking about going to some 18's as well.. but it sucks, cause now they don't really have any 18 sizes... so we'll see what happens... I'm not a huge fan of 20's, even factory rims, personally... but figured I'd run some beefy tires on the factory rims, just to bye some time till I get other things taken care of, and can afford a new rims/tire combo setup... As far as the tread pattern, they said they'd only be available in the Claw tread pattern... so guess that will be the one I'm looking at, if I stick with 20's... lol

I never thought I'd be one of those guys with mud tires on 20s. Truck came with them and they looked good.

See that just doesn't make any sense. The most aggressive tread pattern on 20" rims, can't find any claws/crawlers for anything else. nothing but ATs on 16, 17, 18s. What the hell are they thinking?

bluedragon436
12-30-2015, 06:17 PM
I never thought I'd be one of those guys with mud tires on 20s. Truck came with them and they looked good.

See that just doesn't make any sense. The most aggressive tread pattern on 20" rims, can't find any claws/crawlers for anything else. nothing but ATs on 16, 17, 18s. What the hell are they thinking?

That is a good question... Apparently I got my MT's for 16" rims @ the perfect time then.... Glad I didn't put it off longer....

denverd1
03-15-2016, 03:34 PM
I didn't order from these guys, but found www.tirecappers.com looking another retread company. I think I'm pushing my rig a bit hard to run retreads, sidewall was pretty thin were it gashed.

Now I've got 55 tire plugs and all the tools to go along with them

bluedragon436
05-15-2017, 03:35 PM
I didn't order from these guys, but found www.tirecappers.com looking another retread company. I think I'm pushing my rig a bit hard to run retreads, sidewall was pretty thin were it gashed.

Now I've got 55 tire plugs and all the tools to go along with them

So far with the little bit of light wheeling I can do where I'm at, my TW MT's have held up alright.. Heard their new B2B design is supposed to take care of the thin sidewalls.. but who knows.. .and I Don't plan on cutting into mine to find out.. Still haven't ordered the new tires for the Ram yet.. But will most likely be doing that here in the near future... as the current tires (same as stock) are starting to get a little low on tread... and are starting to spin with little input of the skinny pedal in the rain... so definitely don't want to be sliding around with the little one in the back seat.. I've been holding out for as long as I can, so that if I manage to find a good income and can trade my Ram in on the CTD Ram I want... then I won't be loosing the brand new tires.. But as I haven't had any income luck yet.. guess I'm going to go ahead and pickup some new tires for her.. so I can keep her safely in her own lane.. Now I'm just torn between their not killer aggressive MT's, the same style tread I have now.. or the AT's that they have.. guess I'll have to see what is available at the time when I make my purchase..

denverd1
05-16-2017, 09:42 AM
yea this was way before they did B2B. I was hoping they would explain the process a bit better than they do. definitely don't need thin sidewalls

the other retread people are: www.tirerecappers.com