PDA

View Full Version : Gauge cluster ground

prerunner1982
07-09-2012, 12:33 PM
Can anyone confirm where the ground for the gauge cluster is?

My gauges have quit working, which is something I have fought with in the past, however I really need to know how much gas I have right now. :rolleyes:

I have messed with the plug on the back and there is a bit of corrosion that I am working on, on my breaks at work. But I would like to check the ground as well just to rule that out.

If anyone can tell me where the ground for this circuit is that would be great.
Thanks

4.3LXJ
07-09-2012, 12:41 PM
The gas gauge gets a hot wire from ignition. From there it goes to the sending unit which meters the amount of ground which regulates the gauge. I would suggest that it is not a grounding problem, but the hot wire not working. Same situation with the oil pressure gauge.

Mudderoy
07-09-2012, 12:51 PM
When my cluster loses ground, the speedometer, rpm gauges go to zero, and the airbag light comes on. Volts, oil pressure, gas, coolant temp keep working.

prerunner1982
07-09-2012, 01:00 PM
Tony.. I have that problem as well. At least prior to all gauges quitting. The speedo and tach would flutter or stop completely but all other gauges worked. I could typically smack the top of the dash and it would stay on for awhile.

But now it sounds like a power in problem. I will keep working on the plug then. Of course I can't find my multi-meter when I really need it but my rig up a test light.

Mudderoy
07-09-2012, 01:21 PM
Tony.. I have that problem as well. At least prior to all gauges quitting. The speedo and tach would flutter or stop completely but all other gauges worked. I could typically smack the top of the dash and it would stay on for awhile.

But now it sounds like a power in problem. I will keep working on the plug then. Of course I can't find my multi-meter when I really need it but my rig up a test light.

Karma paying you back for "inflating" your mpg numbers. :rolleye0012:

prerunner1982
07-09-2012, 02:36 PM
The gas gauge gets a hot wire from ignition. From there it goes to the sending unit which meters the amount of ground which regulates the gauge. I would suggest that it is not a grounding problem, but the hot wire not working. Same situation with the oil pressure gauge.

What color is the hot wire from the ignition? I figured red, but only found a red with orange stripe.

4.3LXJ
07-09-2012, 03:53 PM
Mine is red, but it is an 86. You can figure it out on the back of the gauge cluster by tracing what terminal goes both to the gas and oil gauge. Don't be fooled by the ground which will all the stuff. My gauge cluster has more than one ground, black.

prerunner1982
07-09-2012, 03:55 PM
I tried to trace the ones marked IGN but the way the plug is I couldn't see which pin they went to. I may have to "umount" the plug to see if I can get a better look.

4.3LXJ
07-09-2012, 05:17 PM
I have a spare cluster. I will snap a pic tonight and show you how to figure it out. I had to do the same on my cluster to see if this one was compatible.

prerunner1982
07-09-2012, 10:22 PM
The longer plug that plugs in behind the lights (check engine, part time, full time, etc) on the left has power. There was a solid red wire. However the plug that plugs in behind the speedo and tach...I still could not find a wire that had power.

Mudderoy
07-11-2012, 06:53 AM
Maybe this will help.

http://xjtalk.com/images/special/commandoalarm-91to93.png

:link: (http://www.commandocaralarms.com/wiring/1991-1993/Jeep/Cherokee/857.html)

prerunner1982
07-11-2012, 12:49 PM
Also just a note, the lights on the left of the cluster also do not light up, however the turn signals indicators and the bright indicator works fine. The gauges also light up when the lights are turned on.

prerunner1982
07-11-2012, 05:39 PM
Thanks Tony.. but besides the tach I don't see much else relating the the gauge cluster.

maybe the Ignition 1 Blue (+)....

4.3LXJ
07-11-2012, 08:09 PM
Jon, please tell my you have checked the fuse for your instrument cluster

prerunner1982
07-11-2012, 09:45 PM
Yep.....first thing.

cpttuna
07-13-2012, 09:37 PM
I have the same problem with the guage cluster. I usually bang on the dash and it goes back to normal. My wife does not want me to do any more because we had the same kind of problem with our dodge van and now it won't run at all.(after I messed with it)

Mudderoy
07-15-2012, 06:18 AM
I have the same problem with the guage cluster. I usually bang on the dash and it goes back to normal. My wife does not want me to do any more because we had the same kind of problem with our dodge van and now it won't run at all.(after I messed with it)

lol. Mine is getting worse. It used to only shut off when it was cold out. I found out by accident (resetting the trip odometer) that I can just press on the cluster to make it start working again.

4.3LXJ
07-15-2012, 10:13 AM

Women, just don't have much of a sense of humor anymore.:rolleye0012: