PDA

View Full Version : Welcome kgstevens!!!

bigjim350
07-08-2012, 08:49 PM
Hi kgstevens, welcome to the xjtalk forum!

We would love to know more about you and your Jeep. How you found us, etc...

Check out "Announcements" "How to post an image" for help posting images.

Got a Wrangler? Maybe a friend with one? http://www.WranglerTalk.com/

1Akevin
07-09-2012, 08:02 AM
Welcome to the forum!

kgstevens
07-16-2012, 08:33 AM
Hello, I have a 98 Classic that has been used for many many years as a backup vehicle during winter driving here in Utah for my four kids going to school. They have all moved on now. So I am reclaiming my Jeep. Need to freshen it up a bit. Started with a new heater core, radiator, water pump. Next is a light lift (2-inches). I am all ready running 30x9.5 BFG KOs. Will be putting same size but KMs on it now as it won't be on the road much anymore. Also have a cracked exhaust manifold that will need replacing.

So I will be using this forum to help in my research of best options for lots of things and learning from what everyone else has done.

Mudderoy
07-16-2012, 08:43 AM
Hello, I have a 98 Classic that has been used for many many years as a backup vehicle during winter driving here in Utah for my four kids going to school. They have all moved on now. So I am reclaiming my Jeep. Need to freshen it up a bit. Started with a new heater core, radiator, water pump. Next is a light lift (2-inches). I am all ready running 30x9.5 BFG KOs. Will be putting same size but KMs on it now as it won't be on the road much anymore. Also have a cracked exhaust manifold that will need replacing.

So I will be using this forum to help in my research of best options for lots of things and learning from what everyone else has done.

:welcome: to the site. There is nothing wrong (I just don't want to come across wrong) with going with a 2" lift, but time and time again people will go with "x" inches of lift, try a few things then want to go an inch or two more.

I was different. I wanted to go big, but found the limited factor was the slip yoke on the rear driveshaft. So I went as big as I thought I could get away with without having to spend $$$ on a slip yoke eliminator. That was 4.5" lift with a 1" transfer case drop.

With a 4.5" lift you can run 32x11.5x15.

Now with all that said you could be different and be perfectly happy for years and years, but I thought it only right to give you a heads up. :D

4.3LXJ
07-16-2012, 11:17 AM
Welcome to the forum Kelly. Now you get to have some fun with the Jeep. When you get ready for the lift, just ask. There are lots of options available. When you get those tires, a 3" lift would allow you to run 31' tires on the stock rims. So you see, there are options to consider. Both Tony and I run the KM2s and like them.

kgstevens
07-16-2012, 11:26 PM
Thanks for the advice. My focus is not necessarily on bigger. Just want a bit more clearance for the weekend outing with my wife. Not into radical trails or extreme crawling. However we do spend a lot of time in American Fork canyon here. I have been toying with doing 31s but don't necessarily want to lose turning radius with bump steer adjustments. If I went with say a 3 inch lift and 31s what am I giving up?

XJ Wheeler
07-17-2012, 01:10 AM
:welcome: to the site. There is nothing wrong (I just don't want to come across wrong) with going with a 2" lift, but time and time again people will go with "x" inches of lift, try a few things then want to go an inch or two more.

I was different. I wanted to go big, but found the limited factor was the slip yoke on the rear driveshaft. So I went as big as I thought I could get away with without having to spend $$$ on a slip yoke eliminator. That was 4.5" lift with a 1" transfer case drop.

With a 4.5" lift you can run 32x11.5x15.

Now with all that said you could be different and be perfectly happy for years and years, but I thought it only right to give you a heads up. :D

I did the same thing. When i got mine i had the brilliant idea i wanted to run 35s, so i was looking at 8" lifts. Then reality set in and i tried to find a way to swing 33s and a 6". No go, do to the added cost of the sye and driveshaft. So i unwillingly settled for my 4.5" on 31s.

Now i plan on one day going to 37s, see I've learned a lot since then.:D

Welcome to the site Kelly, hope ya enjoy all it has to offer.

Mudderoy
07-17-2012, 03:03 AM
Thanks for the advice. My focus is not necessarily on bigger. Just want a bit more clearance for the weekend outing with my wife. Not into radical trails or extreme crawling. However we do spend a lot of time in American Fork canyon here. I have been toying with doing 31s but don't necessarily want to lose turning radius with bump steer adjustments. If I went with say a 3 inch lift and 31s what am I giving up?

I run 33's and I never have adjusted the steering stops. The trick is to get the right backspace on the wheels.

Mudderoy
07-17-2012, 03:06 AM

Mine is a daily driver. I don't do anything radical with it, as I want to make it to work the next day. I built capability.

3" lift on 31's, gas mileage is the only thing I can think of, and I think you can control much of that with tire width.

1ATony
07-17-2012, 01:56 PM
Welcome to the site