PDA

View Full Version : A/C not working

defibvt
07-08-2012, 04:05 PM
Well, it finally happened. My A/C went out on my '93. The system has been converted to r134a. The clutch will engage if I jump it to a 12 volt source but even when engaged it blows hot air. My mechanic friend and I spent 4 hours outside in 100+ degree heat trying to figure out the issues. It comes down to the compressor is not working correctly.

I am taking it in tomorrow. Fortunately it is not my daily driver. Besides the compressor being changed out for new one, what else can I expect to be changed out.

4.3LXJ
07-08-2012, 11:03 PM
If the compressor doesn't come on, it is generally because the low limit safety switch won't let it. It is a safety device to protect the compressor from not having enough lubrication due to low refrigerant. So, charge it and it will probably work. However it will leak off again eventually because you have a leak.

defibvt
07-09-2012, 12:09 AM
The thing is it reads fully charged. Not only did read fully charged for my inexperienced hands but my friend who is good with vehicles got the same readings.

4.3LXJ
07-09-2012, 06:36 AM
Fully charged while running and checking pressure on the low pressure side?

defibvt
07-09-2012, 12:09 PM
Yes sir. Did that too. It just crazy confusing.

4.3LXJ
07-09-2012, 12:38 PM
Probably better take it to the shop. I would need it here to figure it out.

defibvt
07-09-2012, 01:32 PM
Just got a call from the shop. Compressors shot, metal shavings throughout the system. 1900 dollars to fix. Not getting it done. Time to gather parts for OBA.

4.3LXJ
07-09-2012, 01:35 PM
I have a thread on hear in the How To Section on that. Good luck

XJ Wheeler
07-09-2012, 02:21 PM
Just got a call from the shop. Compressors shot, metal shavings throughout the system. 1900 dollars to fix. Not getting it done. Time to gather parts for OBA.

Took mine to a shop for a/c work a few years ago, the guy said $900. It had a clog and he said instead of replacing parts and taking time trying to find it he would just replace a bunch and be done. I told him i would learn to do it myself. Funny thing is he then told me its really easy and told me to call him if i had any questions. Although i still haven't dealt with it. :crazy:

You might try to fix it yourself, would be a LOT cheaper than $1900.

defibvt
07-09-2012, 02:56 PM
Oh, definitely cheaper for me to fix. Just to darn hot outside for me to consider it right now. Either I will go OBA or fix the A/C. I don't have a lot of free time until March of next year. Then I will done with my Masters program and I play around with projects like this. That doesn't mean I can't collect parts though.

4.3LXJ
07-09-2012, 05:23 PM
If you go to a wrecking yard to collect parts for the AC, pick evap and condenser cores that still have the hoses attached. After you remove the hoses, cap the ends immediately with some tape or something to keep the air and contaminants out. My suggestion would be to get new hoses that are made for R134a so you won't have any bleed through the hoses by the lighter components of it. You should however get a new accumulator.