PDA

View Full Version : Plastic water pump fins??

apeXJudge824
07-06-2012, 06:18 PM
Well this week im taking a break from the over whelming floor pan job of mine:bang: haha but its all going well..

anyways, i was running her the other day, was about 90 out, just idling, and well, i started creeping up on the red on the thermostat gauge and i dont mean like 215, more like 250, borderline red on the gauge. luckily i was checking it.

I have an 87, aka dreaded renix, however, the previous owners did do a radiator swap, i believe they told me from a 93 cherokee. Okay thats great and all but i still almost over heated. NO leaks what so ever, 150% positive on that.

I was reading around and i heard about some older motor with plastic water pump fins??? which is probably one of the stupidest things ive heard of ever, besides car makers trying to make engine blocks out of plastic... guess they didnt learn their lesson.

Eventually, i cooled down, previous owners added an aux electric fan, i had to manual turn on... but what ever it works.

getting to the point.. Im hoping that i just need a new water pump, you know with metal fins.. im sure the fan clutch is nearly shot, and i also know that my coolant absolutely needs a flush..

hopefully once i get a chance to purchase the pump and have the time, im hoping ill stay cool with out even needed the aux electric fan..

any other suggestions? or have i hit the nail on the head? haha

Renix is new to me since ive bought my jeep, H.O's ive gotten down pretty well, id like to think

apeXJudge824
07-06-2012, 06:21 PM
Well this week im taking a break from the over whelming floor pan job of mine:bang: haha but its all going well..

anyways, i was running her the other day, was about 90 out, just idling, and well, i started creeping up on the red on the thermostat gauge and i dont mean like 215, more like 250, borderline red on the gauge. luckily i was checking it.

I have an 87, aka dreaded renix, however, the previous owners did do a radiator swap, i believe they told me from a 93 cherokee. Okay thats great and all but i still almost over heated. NO leaks what so ever, 150% positive on that.

I was reading around and i heard about some older motor with plastic water pump fins??? which is probably one of the stupidest things ive heard of ever, besides car makers trying to make engine blocks out of plastic... guess they didnt learn their lesson.

Eventually, i cooled down, previous owners added an aux electric fan, i had to manual turn on... but what ever it works.

getting to the point.. Im hoping that i just need a new water pump, you know with metal fins.. im sure the fan clutch is nearly shot, and i also know that my coolant absolutely needs a flush..

hopefully once i get a chance to purchase the pump and have the time, im hoping ill stay cool with out even needed the aux electric fan..

any other suggestions? or have i hit the nail on the head? haha

Renix is new to me since ive bought my jeep, H.O's ive gotten down pretty well, id like to think

oh and of course a new thermostat and most likely ill buy a new housing as well

4.3LXJ
07-06-2012, 07:09 PM
If that clutch is shot, then that is the first place to start. The next thing, are the shrouds intact? And of course that flush

BigBear
07-06-2012, 09:03 PM
If you will change the water pump stay away from GMB high flow water pump it's a knock off from FlowKooler but even flowkooler has problems.
If you got some money to put into it get a hesco water pump or if not then just get a quality stock unit.

apeXJudge824
07-06-2012, 09:37 PM
If that clutch is shot, then that is the first place to start. The next thing, are the shrouds intact? And of course that flush

well the fan is spinning, but honestly im not sure if it shot or not im just assuming.

apeXJudge824
07-06-2012, 09:39 PM
If you will change the water pump stay away from GMB high flow water pump it's a knock off from FlowKooler but even flowkooler has problems.
If you got some money to put into it get a hesco water pump or if not then just get a quality stock unit.

thanks for the recommendations!!

4.3LXJ
07-06-2012, 09:40 PM
well the fan is spinning, but honestly im not sure if it shot or not im just assuming.

Try to turn it with the engine off and cold. If it has some resistance, fine. But if stuck, replace it.

apeXJudge824
07-06-2012, 09:41 PM
Try to turn it with the engine off and cold. If it has some resistance, fine. But if stuck, replace it.

alright thank you, and yes my shrouds are intact as well