PDA

View Full Version : Electric fan conversion

bigrob420247
07-05-2012, 08:47 PM
So i'm trying to decide whether or not to change out my clutch fan to an electric fan.I have found a couple different one's online for around $275-$350 but i don't know if i really need it.I off road now and then but would like to start goin out with a club in the future and i do live in Nevada,it gets pretty hot here. I wanted to put an HD clutch fan on my XJ but it appears they don't make one and i don't want to jerry rig a Taurus fan or any other mods like that.I have also heard of goin with a bigger radiator as an option too, so i'm torn between modifying,witch i really don't want to do, or shellin out $300 bucks for a 3 electric fan kit with 4000 cfm's witch seem's like overkill for what i'm doin,and last would be to go to a bigger radiator.So what do you think?what would be the best bang for my buck?any feed back would help,thanx.

4.3LXJ
07-05-2012, 09:09 PM
The best bang for the least bucks for an improvement is use a fan spacer instead of a clutch. It will increase your CFMs for the mechanical fan by about 80%

That 4000 CFM is a good number. I am running dual electrics at 7000 CFM combined and I don't get hot on a stock brass radiator.

Mudderoy
07-06-2012, 09:47 AM
So i'm trying to decide whether or not to change out my clutch fan to an electric fan.I have found a couple different one's online for around $275-$350 but i don't know if i really need it.I off road now and then but would like to start goin out with a club in the future and i do live in Nevada,it gets pretty hot here. I wanted to put an HD clutch fan on my XJ but it appears they don't make one and i don't want to jerry rig a Taurus fan or any other mods like that.I have also heard of goin with a bigger radiator as an option too, so i'm torn between modifying,witch i really don't want to do, or shellin out $300 bucks for a 3 electric fan kit with 4000 cfm's witch seem's like overkill for what i'm doin,and last would be to go to a bigger radiator.So what do you think?what would be the best bang for my buck?any feed back would help,thanx.

I've been eyeing the 3 fan set up at one of our vendor's sites, DirtBoundOffroad.com for a while now.
http://www.dirtboundoffroad.com/images/products/fankit/1-1.jpg

Also they still have the HD Grand Cherokee fan available. I checked on one the other day when I thought my HD GC fan might need to be replaced. Both NAPA and O'Reily's had it, just had to wait for it to come from the warehouse.

Check out the "Articles" section for the part number.

BlueXJ
07-06-2012, 10:12 AM
The best bang for the least bucks for an improvement is use a fan spacer instead of a clutch. It will increase your CFMs for the mechanical fan by about 80%

That 4000 CFM is a good number. I am running dual electrics at 7000 CFM combined and I don't get hot on a stock brass radiator.

Where do you find that spacer? I was told I would have to make one on a lathe.

4.3LXJ
07-06-2012, 11:04 AM
The space itself should be had at any auto parts store. But you have to change fan blades.

Here is a bunch

http://www.summitracing.com/search/?keyword=fan%20spacer&dds=1

BigBear
07-07-2012, 12:51 AM
A stock clutch fan and stock electric fan with proper shroud should do fine as long as you have 3.5 gallons of coolant mixture. Otherwise your 3 electric fan setup will not do much.

I am going to go with ffdynamics extreme tt electric fan setup.

Mudderoy
07-07-2012, 02:38 AM
A stock clutch fan and stock electric fan with proper shroud should do fine as long as you have 3.5 gallons of coolant mixture. Otherwise your 3 electric fan setup will not do much.

I am going to go with ffdynamics extreme tt electric fan setup.

Three Cyclone Ultra Electric Cooling Fans
Low Drag Cyclone Blades w/ a 3300 Total CFM Rating

Maybe I'm mis-reading this but 3300 CFM total? Out of 3 fans?

:link: (http://www.ffdynamics.com/extremecherokeeB.html)

4.3LXJ
07-07-2012, 10:18 AM
That is how I am reading it too Tony.

Carves
07-07-2012, 05:14 PM
That is how I am reading it too Tony.

bluedragon436
07-07-2012, 05:21 PM
I've got a brand new GC HD fan clutch to throw on mine when I get some time to tilt the radiator forward a bit.. I asked the shop to install the clutch when the radiator got replaced a few months back, but I guess they decided they didn't want to do that for me, like I asked... I got to pull the grill and the header panel off anyways, as when they installed it all after the radiator swap, the hood now rubs on the header panel in the middle.. But my recommendation would either be the GC HD fan clutch or picking up a setup like the one from our vendor Dirtboundoffroad

4.3LXJ
07-07-2012, 08:01 PM
Maybe I'm mis-reading this but 3300 CFM total? Out of 3 fans?

I have some time to comment on this now. 3000 CFM us about what you get from the mechanical fan and efan combined. So in effect, you can get OEM plus 10% at idle from this set up. Most ten or eleven inch fans will move about 1000 CFM. You don't get bigger numbers until you get up into 14" fans with one exception, the Derale fans I have. The one I use as my small fan moves 2200 CFM. The Taurus fan I also use, is supposed to move 4800 CFM. That might in reality be a bit high, but it is what everyone agrees it is on high speed.

Mudderoy
07-08-2012, 05:08 PM
I have some time to comment on this now. 3000 CFM us about what you get from the mechanical fan and efan combined. So in effect, you can get OEM plus 10% at idle from this set up. Most ten or eleven inch fans will move about 1000 CFM. You don't get bigger numbers until you get up into 14" fans with one exception, the Derale fans I have. The one I use as my small fan moves 2200 CFM. The Taurus fan I also use, is supposed to move 4800 CFM. That might in reality be a bit high, but it is what everyone agrees it is on high speed.

Yeah I figured about 1000 cfm per fan but what I was surprised about was the price for this system over dirtboundoffroad, that has over 4000 cfm for $100 less.