PDA

View Full Version : What to look for?

Superkirby
07-01-2012, 04:00 PM
I've got my first Jeep is hopefully all picked out. I found a 93 Cherokee with just under 83k original miles. This jeep has sat for a few years but currently seems to run pretty good.
So my question is, what kind of problems seem to be more common to early 90's Cherokees, and what signs should I be looking for before I buy? After buying 2 Explorers and replacing 2 transmissions, I started doing some research and found out that Explorers burn up transmissions pretty quick. Also, per my financial advisor (read "wife") I'm no longer allowed to own an Explorer. This same advisor already doesn't want me to buy an Jeep, I really don't want to hear "I told you so."
Please help me save my pride.
Thanks.
Vince

XJ Wheeler
07-01-2012, 05:12 PM
You can reassure your "financial advisor" that cherokees are one of the most reliable vehicles i can think of. Mines a '92 which is nearly identical to a '93 and its never stranded me. Plus the transmissions are quite sturdy (excluding the peugoet ba-10). There's just a few small nitpick problems, nothing major.

prerunner1982
07-01-2012, 05:21 PM
Here is a thread I did a while back on what to look for before buying as I wish I knew this stuff before I purchased my XJ.

http://www.xjtalk.com/showthread.php?t=9114

Superkirby
07-02-2012, 08:06 AM
Thanks for that, it does help. When I go back again I'll give it a thorough going over and see make sure I didn't miss anything. I know it needs a couple small things - muffler first and shocks before too long. BUt it's a real good deal so I don't mind putting a little into it.

subsonic
07-07-2012, 09:42 PM
Threads like this make me so thankful for my wife. I have 4 Jeeps!

A XJ is one of the most economical vehicles you can buy. Made for a long time, so there are a ton of parts out there. Fairly simple to work on as well.