PDA

View Full Version : Rear bumper opinions

07Negative
07-01-2012, 02:51 PM
So I had to use a angle grinder to cut off my OEM bumper while replacing my leaf springs. The bolts wouldn't budge on the bumper. Matter or fact. None of the bolts would move.
So now I'm in the market for a rear bumper. I've been putting this off b/c they're all so damn expensive. I've been debating to get a bumper with a tire carrier or not. Living in a city, I find it hard enough to score a parking spot that I can actually fit in. Tire carrier would make it that much harder. And I don't even have a spare. But I suppose I should at some point.
So far the AJ's bumper is looking appealing. It has the nut strip part to bolt down. But maybe I'm over looking key features.
Throw opinions around.

TrystanZ24
07-01-2012, 05:35 PM
DETOURS I love my tailbone. Great quality, man just pure awesome. :thumbsup:

Mudderoy
07-02-2012, 06:52 AM
So I had to use a angle grinder to cut off my OEM bumper while replacing my leaf springs. The bolts wouldn't budge on the bumper. Matter or fact. None of the bolts would move.
So now I'm in the market for a rear bumper. I've been putting this off b/c they're all so damn expensive. I've been debating to get a bumper with a tire carrier or not. Living in a city, I find it hard enough to score a parking spot that I can actually fit in. Tire carrier would make it that much harder. And I don't even have a spare. But I suppose I should at some point.
So far the AJ's bumper is looking appealing. It has the nut strip part to bolt down. But maybe I'm over looking key features.
Throw opinions around.

Yeah I only have experience with DETOURS but I looked a long time before I found a bumper from a vendor I liked. You can go much cheaper if you get something like the simple Wrangler bumpers, but I wanted a rear bumper that wrapped around to the sides. My DETOURS bumper fit like a glove and actually held itself in place while I bolted it on.

LizardRunner
07-02-2012, 02:28 PM
I vote Detours as well, You can find more expensive, but you won't find better built or better service.

XJ4IV
07-02-2012, 10:47 PM
I built my own with receiver and its done me well... but PLEASE for future reference save yourself the trouble and DO get one that bolts all the way into the frame a ways, I did mine to the OE locations and with a hitch basket on there and minimal thing on it I ended up drooping my bumper... I had to jack the back up and bolt it in place through the frame rail using angle irn and grade 8 bolts!