PDA

View Full Version : Swamped Cherokee, Help!

GreggyXj
06-28-2012, 05:46 PM
recently, i swamped my 99. got a little to carried away and thought it had more than it did. it died once it came to it place in the hole slowly after bogging down. started it once again after this and it just bogged down again. then the next attempted it wouldnt turn over. i came about two inches from hydro locking it and before i tried starting it again i checked the airbox and intake and ther wasnt any water. after sitting in a hole for about an hour, i got pulled out by a diesel and tried cranking it and it woulnt turn over. all the electronics still work though and listened to the radio the whole way getting towed home lol. but i let it sit a day and change some relays and still it wont. its not seized because i can crank it manually but i guess theres no power going to starter. im guessing thats whats fried because that was like the only thing underwater and cranking it under water is what fried it. does anyone have any input?

http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac205/heffernan43/532321_458179957527033_1306315355_n.jpg

bigjim350
06-28-2012, 06:20 PM
I guess it could be the starter. I have had mine under water/mud tons of times and starter still works fine. Although I've never tried to start it while its still under

Sent from my nerdy smartphone

Brasscatz
06-28-2012, 06:31 PM
Try CAREFULLY taking a screwdriver to the starter and arc the positive and negative on the solenoid. If it doesn't do anything I'd take the starter up to the parts store and have it tested. Hopefully nothing else in the ignition system was fried.

4.3LXJ
06-28-2012, 06:37 PM
You were under water and it looked kind of gooey. First thing to do here is check connections. Ground and positive to battery. Get yourself a test light if you don't have one or a meter. Have someone turn the key to start and check the terminals on the starter relay on the fender well behind he battery. There is a heavy wire from it that goes to your starter solenoid. Make sure that terminal is getting power when the key is turned. Make sure the battery is fully charged. Jump it if you have too and let another vehicle charge it. It just might be low enough it won't turn over. Last resort, pull the starter and take to an auto parts store and have it checked.

XJ4IV
06-28-2012, 08:49 PM
same thing happened to mine years ago, I had to remove the plugs and crank it over about twenty times to pus out as much water as possible.... I was able to drive it out of the lake and down the trail bout 1/4 mile before it died again... after that I checked the distributor to make sure it was all good inside there,turns out the rotor was broken in half and it got rusted as well as the points so Id check those items out.

Carves
06-28-2012, 09:01 PM
Looks like cantab has a contender ... for the XJ-Submarine trophy, award .. :D

Lots of stripping and cleaning and oil changing to be done ... by the looks of things.

... and I'd be pulling the sparkplugs first up ... as well.

GreggyXj
06-28-2012, 10:46 PM
good point thanks

cantab27
06-28-2012, 11:29 PM
check all fluids ...check trans oil...they like to drink water as well...do all oils..

first drowning killed my starter..just pull it probably due for a clean anyways...

have a read in here...

http://www.xjtalk.com/showthread.php?t=5790

most things covered with a swim .......pics of what ya diffs may look like in there as well...

linky of starer clean ...

http://jeep-xj.info/HowtoStarterClean.htm

and get a snorkel fella...piece of mind if ya have a oops moment again.......:D

cantab27
06-29-2012, 12:13 AM
sorry dude ..dirty diffs in here...

http://www.xjtalk.com/showthread.php?t=8388&highlight=build&page=9

this was after less than 10 minutes in the puddle...

denverd1
06-29-2012, 11:20 AM
i got an extra starter I'll send your way if ya want it. replaced mine and it ended up being a bad cable. the starter I pulled is fine and I keep stumping my toe on it in the garage..

GreggyXj
06-29-2012, 04:35 PM
hey thanks everyone.....today i pulled the plugged, ended up sucking in a little water, changed all plugs and wires, then got some new relays and got took a starter out of another 99 and she fired right up. still have to change my trans fluid and my diffs look alright. now time to get this rancid smell out of the xj. PU!! haha

cantab27
06-29-2012, 08:01 PM
dude flush ya trans ..if shes sucked in water bad oil will be in oil cooler lines and such....ask me how i know................................bad h20......
glad shes running mate