PDA

View Full Version : Steering measurement please

prerunner1982
06-27-2012, 11:06 PM
If some of ya'll have a good alignment and a moment to take some measurements I would appreciate it. I would like a measurement from the inside edge of the arm where the tie rod mounts on one side to the other.

My idea is to cut a length of steel rod to this measurement and use it to do an alignment. That is if enough people post up with the same/similar measurements. They should all be the same and I would prefer measurements from stock XJs but as long as you have a known good alignment I will take it..

thanks.

Mudderoy
06-28-2012, 10:36 AM
If some of ya'll have a good alignment and a moment to take some measurements I would appreciate it. I would like a measurement from the inside edge of the arm where the tie rod mounts on one side to the other.

My idea is to cut a length of steel rod to this measurement and use it to do an alignment. That is if enough people post up with the same/similar measurements. They should all be the same and I would prefer measurements from stock XJs but as long as you have a known good alignment I will take it..

thanks.

Huh? Are you talking about the toe in measurement? Isn't that like 1/8" closer from the front of the wheel than the back?

prerunner1982
06-28-2012, 11:16 AM
Huh? Are you talking about the toe in measurement? Isn't that like 1/8" closer from the front of the wheel than the back?

Right but rather than having to crawl back and forth and measure, shouldn't the measurement between the arms where the tie rods mount be the same on all XJs? Seeing as how they all use the same axle and lift/tire size has should not change the distance between these two points as long as a true alignment was done.

If the distance between the inside edge of one steering arm to the inside edge of the other steering arm is 55" (just as an example) then I could cut a rod to 55" and when I needed to do an alignment I could adjust the toe until the rod fits snug between the inside edge of each steering arm.

We had something similar when I was in the Army that hung from the frame, but I can't seem to find a picture of it.

4.3LXJ
06-28-2012, 11:18 AM
In theory yes. However there are small differences in castings, machining etc so you still have to measure the wheels themselves.

Mudderoy
06-28-2012, 11:46 AM
Right but rather than having to crawl back and forth and measure, shouldn't the measurement between the arms where the tie rods mount be the same on all XJs? Seeing as how they all use the same axle and lift/tire size has should not change the distance between these two points as long as a true alignment was done.

If the distance between the inside edge of one steering arm to the inside edge of the other steering arm is 55" (just as an example) then I could cut a rod to 55" and when I needed to do an alignment I could adjust the toe until the rod fits snug between the inside edge of each steering arm.

We had something similar when I was in the Army that hung from the frame, but I can't seem to find a picture of it.

Actually why don't you build something that will measure both front and back at the same time, then you can adjust the toe quickly? Of course you could make your stick after you get it adjusted right, the long way.

4.3LXJ
06-28-2012, 12:22 PM
Or you could use something like this. I think I am going to get some myself. Can't seem to get the local alignment guys to get it right.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/QCR-64-704/