PDA

View Full Version : Noise in engine bay

Radar
06-26-2012, 11:39 AM
My 1999 cherokee 2.5d has started to make a whineing noise under the bonnet, I have noticed that the fan is hardly moving even when hot. When i switch the engine off it sounds like a fast spinning fan. but the fan has stopped. Any Ideas.:confused:

Mudderoy
06-26-2012, 11:50 AM
My 1999 cherokee 2.5d has started to make a whineing noise under the bonnet, I have noticed that the fan is hardly moving even when hot. When i switch the engine off it sounds like a fast spinning fan. but the fan has stopped. Any Ideas.:confused:

You have good reason to be confused. I know the electric fan will continue to spin once the engine is off (if equipment with an electronic fan). The mechanical fan could still be spinning, but that might indicate a problem with the fan clutch, unless the engine and air temps, were cold.

You said that the fan wasn't spinning though. The only thing left that I can think of is the blower motor. If the engine was off and you had the key to on, or acc, with the A/C or heater on then you might hear the blower motor spinning.

Radar
06-26-2012, 11:56 AM
I dont think the clutch on the fan is working, because I can rev the engine when hot and the fan hardly moves. Is there an electric fan behind the ordinary fan. If there is it would account for the fan noise.

Mudderoy
06-26-2012, 12:03 PM
I dont think the clutch on the fan is working, because I can rev the engine when hot and the fan hardly moves. Is there an electric fan behind the ordinary fan. If there is it would account for the fan noise.

On left hand drive Cherokees the electric fan is located next to the mechanical fan on the driver's side of the radiator.

When the engine is hot, turn it off then try to turn the mechanical fan by hand. It should be hard to turn, and if you spin it, it should not spin more than 1 revolution (at least that's what I seem to remember). I checked mine yesterday and it wouldn't spin more than about 2 inches, but it was nearly 200 degrees under the hood yesterday.

4.3LXJ
06-26-2012, 01:51 PM
He has the diesel. I think they only have a mechanical fan and use the 4/V6 radiator. Start with that fan clutch. Sounds like the problem.

Radar
06-26-2012, 03:06 PM
It is the fan, loads of play in it. I am going to fit an electric fan instead what do you think?.

Mudderoy
06-26-2012, 03:13 PM
It is the fan, loads of play in it. I am going to fit an electric fan instead what do you think?.

Seems like I read that you need about 4,000 cfm to equal the mechanical and electric fan. Maybe 2900 cfm for just the mechanical(?). Typically fitting an electric fan to replace the mechanical, is an issue because the height of the radiator is pretty short, makes the electric fan expensive. Also you'll need a shroud.

Personally I'd replace the fan clutch. Add an electric if the diesel allows the room like there is on the gas engines.

Radar
06-26-2012, 03:19 PM
Over here the clutch costs about £80, an electric equivalent with surround and fittings is £40. There is plenty of room for one.

Mudderoy
06-26-2012, 03:23 PM
Over here the clutch costs about £80, an electric equivalent with surround and fittings is £40. There is plenty of room for one.

You're lucky it didn't get into the radiator.

4.3LXJ
06-26-2012, 04:24 PM
Ray

Not all electric fans are created equal. I don't know if you have them there, but the Ford Taurus with the 3.8L has a great fan. 4800 cfm on high speed. Pulls 37 amps. I have mine hooked to a sensor on the base of the thermostat housing.

Carves
06-26-2012, 08:08 PM

Ridiculously expensive things outside of America ... :bang: .. :mad:

Anything between $80au - $130au for something worth the time to fit - down here.

Is that Jeep Dealer pricing for the fanclutch ?? ... A good parts store will probably have one cheaper - if you take it in and match it.

Just dont mention its for a Jeep ... so as to protect your wallet .. :D

If you look at fitting electric fans ... Look Carefully ;) ... coz as 4.3LXJ stated ... They arent all created equal.