PDA

View Full Version : Gauges Mechanical or Electrical

One_Big_Midgett
06-22-2012, 10:13 AM
Ok folks, most of you may be familiar with the CEL light problem I was having. Well got that all sorted out, but in the thread it was suggested that i check my oil pressure. It is actually running a bit low. A new pump fixed that. I never really cared for the dummy lights, so i decided to redo my dash and install gauges for everything. My question is which should I go with mechanical, electrical or a combination of both? I am not to keen on having fluids coming into the cab, but i have heard that electrical can give you false readings if there is a voltage problem. Thoughts comments, please.

Mudderoy
06-22-2012, 10:21 AM
Ok folks, most of you may be familiar with the CEL light problem I was having. Well got that all sorted out, but in the thread it was suggested that i check my oil pressure. It is actually running a bit low. A new pump fixed that. I never really cared for the dummy lights, so i decided to redo my dash and install gauges for everything. My question is which should I go with mechanical, electrical or a combination of both? I am not to keen on having fluids coming into the cab, but i have heard that electrical can give you false readings if there is a voltage problem. Thoughts comments, please.

Well my personal opinion is mechanical, but that opinion was formed back when I was young and rebuilt a 327. I wanted to know exactly what the oil pressure was and not some guess. That was in the 80's so technology has improved.

The 4.0L that Matt is rebuilding for me will use the stock "electrical" oil sender and gauge, and I'm fine with that.

4.3LXJ
06-22-2012, 10:38 AM
One problem that happened to me on a Jeep with a mechanical oil pressure gauge is the the little oil line got a hole in it. I use electrical now.

bigjim350
06-22-2012, 11:08 AM
I'd use electric oil, and mechanical temp.

LizardRunner
06-22-2012, 11:18 AM
I'm with Jim, for fluids I use electrical gauges for the others I use mechanical ones. I have plans for a fuel pressure gauge in the future but you always mount those outside.