PDA

View Full Version : I Need Help! NEWBIE

SeniorGustas
06-21-2012, 07:02 PM
Hey guys so i'm new to the forum, and jeeps. I have a 1987 jeep cherokee base model i know its a little four banger no idea how many liters it has I'm guessing 2.1 or 2.5 but any way i was wonder if anyone knows where i can find a new header for it. I've been looking all over the place and iv'e found nothing! also i'm looking to get a lift, i want to be able to run 32's and i'm okay with cutting my fenders but would 3 inchs do? if so what kind of lift is best? thanks guys! Sorry if these are silly questions :crazy:

xjrev10
06-21-2012, 08:00 PM
Yes 2.5. I know pacesetter makes headers for the early 4.0s, not sure on the 2.5. 3" of lift will clear 31s with fender trimming.

2.5s are great engines, just as reliable and tough as the 4.0s . Power is only gained by gears for the most part...

4.3LXJ
06-21-2012, 09:19 PM
You can do 32s with fender trimming. As far as the header goes, are you looking for a tube header to pick up horsepower or are you looking for OEM?

nateyz2000
06-21-2012, 09:33 PM
As far as header, I have Gibson, love it. I have a 4" lift, and can stuff the 31' s nicely, front could use trimming, but only needed for off camber situations (3 wheelin) cuz fully flexed, I am just starting to touch fender when rear tire lifts off ground... Love the set up...

Nate
<><

XJMJeep
06-21-2012, 11:04 PM
I'm not sure where to get a header for the 2.5 but when it comes to the lift I'd go with Ron at http://store.4wheelingplus.com/ he's one of our venders and gives xjtalk discounts plus he's in Washington so you would be keeping it local!
:thumbsup:

xjrev10
06-22-2012, 04:55 AM
You can do 32s with fender trimming. As far as the header goes, are you looking for a tube header to pick up horsepower or are you looking for OEM?

Fatfingered 31 on my phone, meant 32s. If you decide to disconnect your front swaybar, you will damage your fenders. Leave the swaybar alone and just minor trimming would be fine. I would let the tires clearance themselves but that just me! Haha! Seriously tho, the only problem you may have is popping the fender flares off, specially if you have extra weight in the back of jeep and wheeling in rough terrain.

SeniorGustas
06-22-2012, 06:43 PM
Thanks for all the replies guys, I've already got the fenderflares off so it just the metal now but i have trimmed anything. what do you mean i'll damage my fenders without my sway bar? because of too much flexing or? I was going to get some quick disconects

Mudderoy
06-23-2012, 12:56 AM
Thanks for all the replies guys, I've already got the fenderflares off so it just the metal now but i have trimmed anything. what do you mean i'll damage my fenders without my sway bar? because of too much flexing or? I was going to get some quick disconects

Without proper bump stops the wheel can flex too far up and bend the fender. That's when the fender becomes the bump stop.

bigjim350
06-23-2012, 01:04 AM
I run no bumpstops and have hit my fenders plenty of times. as long as you have a smooth edge or some fender trim on your fenders, you should be fine. Unless you slam into you fenders at high speeds, then there will be damage.

Mudderoy
06-23-2012, 03:00 AM
I run no bumpstops and have hit my fenders plenty of times. as long as you have a smooth edge or some fender trim on your fenders, you should be fine. Unless you slam into you fenders at high speeds, then there will be damage.

I think there will be damage, I don't think rguignard was bending his fenders at high speed. :poke: 33's on a 3" lift...

bigjim350
06-23-2012, 03:03 AM
I think there will be damage, I don't think rguignard was bending his fenders at high speed. :poke: 33's on a 3" lift...

hmmm must have been a while since you wheeled with rene ;)