PDA

View Full Version : Well crap! Drive shaft twisted out...

XJ4IV
06-20-2012, 07:28 PM
soooooo I was out driving after I replaced the radiator cap to try and get the temp up and after about 4 miles it stayed at 210 so I decided to head home.... and the trail was calling my name so I headed over there drop it in lo and hit the rocks... well this time the rocks hit back I noticed a little bit of axle wrap soooo instead of stopping right there I decided to keep heading on and SURE NUFF *SNAP* goes the ujoint...
I stop get out and take a look and the axle is pointing at a 45 degree angle that all being said here are the pics

jacked up the yoke!
http://i1133.photobucket.com/albums/m590/XJ4IV/2012-06-20074522.jpg
damaged the cup holder beyond reuse
http://i1133.photobucket.com/albums/m590/XJ4IV/2012-06-20074542.jpg
And I gotta say Ive NEVER seen a ujoint fail in this manner
http://i1133.photobucket.com/albums/m590/XJ4IV/2012-06-20074644.jpg

SOOOOO today I dropped by the local transmission shop and asked if I could dip into their scrap pile having seen TONS of jeeps out there and sure nuff owner said have a blast so I was able to scrounge up two TJ driveshafts which work fine I just cut it in half and I need to get some more pipe from the pipe yard this way I can make two one to use and one to keep as a spare!
I have a wheelin trip nex week so making an anti-wrap bar between now and then is NOT happening however as SOON as I get back depending on what else breaks I will start making that!

4.3LXJ
06-20-2012, 07:37 PM
No problem Scott, you just need one of those extra wide around the corner U joint thingies. Looks like you need to get that axle wrap under control

XJ4IV
06-20-2012, 07:40 PM
I THINK that SMALL portion of the blame was that I forgot to lock my hubs meaning that the FRONT was hitting a pretty large rock and NO force was coming from the front axle to pull me through it therefore the REAR axle was pushing allllll the weight therefore it put out some SERIOUS axle wrap!

XJ4IV
06-20-2012, 07:48 PM
No problem Scott, you just need one of those extra wide around the corner U joint thingies. Looks like you need to get that axle wrap under control

Do tell.... what are you speaking of?

4.3LXJ
06-20-2012, 10:00 PM
Do tell.... what are you speaking of?

Custom applications only. Take the old pieces and put then in place and get out the JB Weld :pray:

Mudderoy
06-21-2012, 02:45 AM
I'm trying to catch up "understanding wise". Are you running full width dana 60 axle on XJ leaves? If so, since this is all new to me, is that how it's done? I guess I just assumed that if you put a much heaver axle you also use much heaver leaf springs. No?

XJ4IV
06-21-2012, 08:45 PM
I'm trying to catch up "understanding wise". Are you running full width dana 60 axle on XJ leaves? If so, since this is all new to me, is that how it's done? I guess I just assumed that if you put a much heaver axle you also use much heaver leaf springs. No?

uh no.... cause your still only lifting the jeep... the AXLE is NOT under sprung load... gravity still applies the ONLY difference is if I ROLL the jeep the new axle would rest heavier on the spring over the OE axle...

4.3LXJ
06-21-2012, 09:13 PM
Scott, if you have a trail rig you need to increase spring rate to match axle weight. That is so it will rebound after the bumps at at proper speed. I realize you are thinking flex, but unless all your trail work is a crawl, some increase in spring rate is called for when increasing axle weight.

XJ4IV
06-21-2012, 09:24 PM
it pretty much is all crawl not sure WHY id need a much stiffer spring as that would make the ride VERY stiff the solution is to make a anti-wrap bar
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQXF1tpD38Lyq3dKWbwv1v2jnRFcMu6v UgBQ8iZwPA5rId10Cxo
it will rotate with the angle of the driveshaft and it will flex with the suspension and it will STOP the axle from rotating forward by axle wrap!

4.3LXJ
06-21-2012, 09:26 PM
I'm all for antiwrap.

XJ4IV
06-21-2012, 09:28 PM
Also Im gathering the goodies to make a 4 link rear and run coils... already have the coils and the equipment to make the long arms need to save up some bucks to make for the brackets n such

4.3LXJ
06-21-2012, 09:29 PM
Working on that myself

XJ4IV
06-21-2012, 10:31 PM
that being said... I HAVE a pair of OE front springs... I heard that gives 3 inches of lift for the rear? is this true?

bluedragon436
06-21-2012, 10:42 PM
Sorry to hear about the breakage Scott... just means time to upgrade and move up.. Can't wait to see as the XJ progresses...

4.3LXJ
06-21-2012, 11:00 PM
that being said... I HAVE a pair of OE front springs... I heard that gives 3 inches of lift for the rear? is this true?

Not sure on that. I have been meaning to measure that and figure it out, but haven't gotten around to that yet. However, TJ rear coils work better, read flex. Check Iron Rocks site for rear linked suspension. I cannot remember if that was plus or minus 2 inches on those.

Mudderoy
06-22-2012, 08:45 AM
Scott, if you have a trail rig you need to increase spring rate to match axle weight. That is so it will rebound after the bumps at at proper speed. I realize you are thinking flex, but unless all your trail work is a crawl, some increase in spring rate is called for when increasing axle weight.

Okay so the leaf springs SHOULD be replaced, or at least beefed up to help offset the larger axles?

4.3LXJ
06-22-2012, 09:44 AM
Yes, if you want the suspension to behave normally on dirt roads and such. We are not talking one ton springs here, but some increase in rate is desirable. If all you do is crawl rocks, it doesn't matter.

Mudderoy
06-22-2012, 10:11 AM
Yes, if you want the suspension to behave normally on dirt roads and such. We are not talking one ton springs here, but some increase in rate is desirable. If all you do is crawl rocks, it doesn't matter.

But obviously you would need to add something to stop the spring wrap, even for rocks?

4.3LXJ
06-22-2012, 10:13 AM
Oh yeah

XJ4IV
06-23-2012, 09:38 PM
Not sure on that. I have been meaning to measure that and figure it out, but haven't gotten around to that yet. However, TJ rear coils work better, read flex. Check Iron Rocks site for rear linked suspension. I cannot remember if that was plus or minus 2 inches on those.

it all depends on WHERE on the AXLE you set your buckets for the coils, on the TJ the sit right under the frame and the upper mount is attached to the frame, what my intentions are is to build a coil bucket that sits under the frame like the TJ does so I can make longarms more easily attainable by way of attaching to a cross member similar to Ironman4x4 has set up, id PREFER to do a triangulated setup but the exhaust is in the way of the uppers and cutting the exhaust is NOT an option im willing to partake in. that all being said I need to make a track bar as well for the rear... LOTS to do round here these days!

XJ4IV
06-23-2012, 09:42 PM
But obviously you would need to add something to stop the spring wrap, even for rocks?

well again I dont have jeep leafs either... I have a dodge dakota leaf pack which gives better payload than the s10 setup that most folks opt for, I suppose I can swap that all out for an f150 pack though! either way I am pretty sure Im switching to coils anyhow but if the f150 coils will make the wrap go away im more interested in doing that at this point since this heat is killing me already!... Ive lost ten lbs in three weeks... NOT TRYING TO EITHER!

4.3LXJ
06-24-2012, 01:16 AM
Your right, the exhaust is a problem. So let's think outside the box a little. Put the uppers on the lower side and weld brackets on the tubes next to the casting. Then take the lowers and put them on the lower side of the cross member also, but move the far ends out to near the brake drums. This should give you a near constant angle on the pinion ujoint and also help protect your driveline. You can make any arrangement like that you want, as long as they triangulate

XJ4IV
06-24-2012, 01:23 PM
yeah I gotta get out the ole plumbob and check everything prior to welding anything! BACK to the drawing board LOL I bet I can still get awesome travel though If I go with radius arms like I did up front! and still ad have to run a track bar though.