PDA

View Full Version : Help my A/C died.

Bryan_o
06-15-2012, 08:07 PM
Okay it actually didn't die(stop working), it never worked when I got the jeep. Normally not having Ac doesn't bother me. However, I'm also a new dad and I can't afford to buy a new car. Having said this I need to fix my jeeps Ac. Any ideas were to start looking to fix my problem. And this year is hot in Texas.

Brasscatz
06-15-2012, 08:12 PM
Assuming everything works (compressor, blower, etc.) and it's just not blowing cold... See if you're low on refrigerant. If so, fill 'er up and put dye in it so you can find your leak later on.

Bryan_o
06-15-2012, 08:30 PM
Well I'm goin to try this retro fit kit to convert to r134a I've been looking at them online. Anything else I should look for. I can build anything I put my mind and hands to. However I've. Ever attempted to fix Ac. I hear it's hazardous to your health

4.3LXJ
06-15-2012, 09:08 PM
Well I'm goin to try this retro fit kit to convert to r134a I've been looking at them online. Anything else I should look for. I can build anything I put my mind and hands to. However I've. Ever attempted to fix Ac. I hear it's hazardous to your health

It is not any more hazardous that any of the other things we always do. Filling your gas tank is far worse for you. Refrigerant will give you a very short high, but you have to inhale a lot of it. The most common thing is low on refrigerant. If your compressor is not coming on, that is it 99% of the time. Of course this means you have a leak. At some point you will want to fix that. 99% of the time it is O rings at the fittings. Be advised however that you will periodically need to recharge with R134A since some if it will leak out the R12 hoses.

Mudderoy
06-15-2012, 09:11 PM
Well this may not be great information since it is for a R134 system.

About a year ago we bought a 1999 XJ for my wife. The A/C didn't work but I was hopeful it was just low on R134 and perhaps a can of stop leak and some R134 and she'd work well enough.

After dumping 2 cans into the system I could smell it in the cab. I had a big leak.

I drove up to a buddies that knows about A/C to see what we could figure out. He quickly identified it as the leak in the dreaded evaporator. I say dreaded not because a new one is $120, but because you have to remove the steering column, and dash before you can get to the pod where the evaporator, heater core and blower motor are.

He was parting out a 2000 XJ so he grabbed the compressor off of it and then took evaporator out. In record time, he removed all the stuff on the 1999 to get to the evaporator. The entire time I was saying in a low monotone voice, "no Matt. don't do that. let me help." I don't think he heard me "whew!"

Pretty soon it was all back together and we were pulling a vacuum on the system. The vacuum held, so we charged it. The A/C worked! Although it wouldn't get down to the 39 - 41 degree temp that my 1998 did. Still it was much better than HOT +1.

A few days later Matt and I were discussing what the problem may be and since the system was open to the atmosphere for a long time the drier was probably useless, full of water. Also if the orifice tube was blocked, or a little blocked the system may not cool as good as it could.

So a few months later I got on RockAuto.com and ordered the line that contains the orifice tube and a dryer. I think they were both under $60 after shipping.

Many months went by but with summer coming up I decided it was time to get the parts in, so I drove back up to Matt's place with the idea that it would be a good place for him to charge the system after I was done installing the new parts, also since he's replaced this stuff before I could ask him questions.

Okay so if you don't Matt, you just kind of get out of the way, eventually. In a low monotoned voice I say "no Matt, let me do that, stop" pretty soon he was done installing the drier and the hard line with the orifice tube. Vacuum, and charge. It runs about 41 degrees now.

A few years ago our 1995 Ford Aerostar was quoted for $1200 to repair the A/C. Unless they evaporator had to be replace, then it would be $2400.

We rolled the dice and the evap was okay, so it was only $1200.

A new compressor is about $200 to $300. Cheaper or more expensive ones are available, but... The evaporator is $120 from local auto parts. Drier was about $20 (I think) and the hard line with the orifice tube was $40(?)

A big thing of "O" rings is like $20 and enough for 100 repairs. A can of R134 is about $14 now, pricey! You'll need 1.25 cans (at least that what it says on my 1999 sticker)

So I think you could replace the ENTIRE A/C system with new stuff for under $600. ** Note; I forgot about the condenser, but I don't think they are over $150.

My 1998 has a slow leak and with summer upon us I put a little R134 in the other day...

I had to put a heating pad on my left testicle after getting home the other day cause it was just too darn cold driving home! :rolleye0012:

Brasscatz
06-15-2012, 09:14 PM
I'm really not an expert on these sort of things, so I'm trying to do some research for you that may help. Here's a link. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/converting-1990-cherokee-r134a-1012373/

It would appear that you would use some of the same parts you currently have, so you will still probably have the leak if that is in fact your problem. 134a is much cheaper than r12, so finding the possible leak will be better with 134a

http://www.cherokeetalk.com/forum/f20/1991-134a-conversion-4117/

http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums/showthread.php?t=393430

Also, if you haven't already bought that kit, junkyard may be a good place to find some parts for 134a systems.

Brasscatz
06-15-2012, 09:18 PM
Lol, so I was in the process of typing up my post and such and it seems like you got some much better advice! Lol! Thanks Tony and Steve!

Bryan_o
06-15-2012, 09:50 PM
Man thank you all very much. I'm pretty sure I'm going in head first on this project. I really don't think any of the parts are good like the dreaded condenser and what not. I really am thinking of replacing it all myself. I just need to hold out the rest of this month and stock up on the things I need. Also whilst I'm at it I'll put up a thread on the rebuild of my head.

Bryan_o
06-16-2012, 08:16 PM
Okay so I learned that my Ac clutch is not coming on. My plan is to check all the fuses and replace anything that is bad. I also bought the retro fit kit today. And put the new fittings on. I tried to charge it, but I'm assuming that since the compressor clutch wouldn't kick on it wouldn't allow me to presurize the system. I don't know. I'm heading to a book store to buy a book on Ac repair right now.

4.3LXJ
06-16-2012, 08:52 PM
Bear in mind that R134A is a blend of heavy and light refrigerants. You need to charge with the can upside down so you don' get a flash evaporation and cool the surface of the liquid and not allow the rest to evaporate.

Also, you should have a site glass on your filter drier on the frame rail. Clean it off, it is green. When running it should look like foggy green liquid is going by underneath it. Then it is fully charged

Mudderoy
06-17-2012, 12:25 AM
Okay so I learned that my Ac clutch is not coming on. My plan is to check all the fuses and replace anything that is bad. I also bought the retro fit kit today. And put the new fittings on. I tried to charge it, but I'm assuming that since the compressor clutch wouldn't kick on it wouldn't allow me to presurize the system. I don't know. I'm heading to a book store to buy a book on Ac repair right now.

Ahhh this reminds me. We replaced the compressor because the clutch was sticking on the original one. I could hit it with a hammer and make it come on but it would stick again.

Bryan_o
06-18-2012, 02:43 PM
I changed every fuse on the vehicle, literally. I still could not get the clutch to kick on. I'm looking into replacing every peice of the Ac system. Found a lot of good deals on eBay. I purchased the Haynes manual on automotive Ac once it gets here i will read it and see exactly what I need.

4.3LXJ
06-18-2012, 03:39 PM
I would like to make a suggestion here on this. Get a test light and see if you are getting current to the compressor clutch, and then work backwards. You might even try to jumper it for a second or two only until you figure out if you have refrigerant in the system.

Mudderoy
06-18-2012, 04:53 PM
I changed every fuse on the vehicle, literally. I still could not get the clutch to kick on. I'm looking into replacing every peice of the Ac system. Found a lot of good deals on eBay. I purchased the Haynes manual on automotive Ac once it gets here i will read it and see exactly what I need.

Maybe I missed it, but did you jumper the low pressure cut off switch? If you don't do that and the refrigerant is low, the compressor will not come on. Also an inexpensive volt meter will let you see if you are getting 12v to the compressor. If you see the 12v come on and the clutch doesn't engage, could mean you just have a bad clutch like I did on the 1999.

Bryan_o
06-19-2012, 10:30 PM
This might sound dumb, but how do I jump the lower pressure cut off switch? I don't even know where it's at. Sorry to ask so much of all of you.

oderdene
06-20-2012, 12:49 AM
http://0.tqn.com/d/autorepair/1/0/L/c/78600199.gif

under hood, passenger side, near to PDC, back of A/C compressor

4.3LXJ
06-20-2012, 01:04 AM
If it is a R12 system, the low pressure safety switch is on the accumulator on the frame rail. To jumper it pull the plug and bend up a paper clip and stick both ends into the plug.

Mudderoy
06-20-2012, 02:08 PM
This might sound dumb, but how do I jump the lower pressure cut off switch? I don't even know where it's at. Sorry to ask so much of all of you.

Not dumb at all.

On my 1998 the line runs to a sensor on the drier. You just remove that clip on line, and I use a paper clip to jumper the two connectors in the plug connected to the wire (line).

Don't leave it that way, because it can burn up the compressor. The low pressure switch automagically cuts off the compressor when the refrigerant is low.

Bryan_o
06-22-2012, 02:06 AM
Ahhhh thank you guys. First thing when I wake up today I'm going to try and jumper it and see if I can fill the Ac.

Bryan_o
06-22-2012, 06:05 AM
Okay I paper clip bypassed the lower pressure cut off sensor and the clutch finally kicked on. However when I tried to recharge the system it still does not take the refridgerant. I put the bottle upside down so it would not freeze and still nothing went into the pump. It's like the lower valve stem is stuck

OrangeXJ
06-22-2012, 07:23 AM
On my 91 there was a valve on the back of the compressor that had to be opened before it can take the coolant

4.3LXJ
06-22-2012, 09:48 AM
Can you push on the stem and get refrigerant out?

Oh, I forgot. Is there a king valve there? A right angle type of thing. If so, unscrew the cap and twist the stem clockwise to open. It works like the cold water side of a faucet.

Mudderoy
06-22-2012, 10:24 AM
Okay I paper clip bypassed the lower pressure cut off sensor and the clutch finally kicked on. However when I tried to recharge the system it still does not take the refridgerant. I put the bottle upside down so it would not freeze and still nothing went into the pump. It's like the lower valve stem is stuck

You did connect it to the right hose? It should be the one closest to the drier.

4.3LXJ
06-22-2012, 10:36 AM
Is that the large diameter hose?

Mudderoy
06-22-2012, 10:38 AM
Is that the large diameter hose?

That's what SHE said.

4.3LXJ
06-22-2012, 10:39 AM
That's what SHE said.

She has to ask?

Bryan_o
06-22-2012, 04:13 PM
Are you talking about the valve on the right hand side of the compressor it has a plastic cap on it and if I take off that cap there is a square head that looks like it can be turned? And I plugged in to the lower of the two connections on the compressor. And yes that is what she said!

4.3LXJ
06-22-2012, 04:15 PM
Post me a pic of it

Bryan_o
06-22-2012, 04:18 PM
Can you push on the stem and get refrigerant out?

Oh, I forgot. Is there a king valve there? A right angle type of thing. If so, unscrew the cap and twist the stem clockwise to open. It works like the cold water side of a faucet.

Sorry I didn't read this but yes that is exactly the valve I'm looking at.

4.3LXJ
06-22-2012, 04:20 PM
You have to open that valve before you can get refrigerant in.

Bryan_o
06-22-2012, 05:29 PM
I. Thought so but I was tired when I got off work this morning. Sucks working nights. I am gonna try this on my lunch break. Look for an update around 10 ish tonight. Oh btw if any one in Houston has spare jeep parts like a front axle or anything like that let me know.

msmoorenburg
06-22-2012, 09:36 PM
Well it seems i'm a day late and a dollar short here :bang:. I've been swamped at work. I'm just up the road (Conroe) pm me and we can setup a time to give it a once over if your still having issues.

Matt

Bryan_o
06-23-2012, 12:35 AM
Cool I live in the woodlands spring area. I used to live right there off north loop 336. Anyways I went out on my lunch break and tried to open up that king valve. I rounded off the head of that thing. Probably going to see if the local auto parts has that whole valve brand spanking new.

Bryan_o
06-23-2012, 04:05 PM
Any one know where I can buy new Ac service valves or king valves. For a 1993 jeep Cherokee.