PDA

View Full Version : Mix and Match Seats

Sneedle Vision
06-13-2012, 09:40 PM
I bought a pair of WJ front seats to put in my 2000 XJ and after I got the rails and everything switched over, I wasn't happy.

The seat part extends out much further than stock and isn't all that comfortable, but the seat back is super comfy. Anyone think it's possible to put the WJ seat back on my stock XJ seat bottom?

I know they'd be mismatched fabrics/colors, but that's not a big concern.

4.3LXJ
06-14-2012, 12:13 AM
No idea on that one

bigjim350
06-14-2012, 12:26 AM
Oh im sure its possible. But i think you'd be the first to try it.

Sneedle Vision
06-14-2012, 11:14 AM
Well hopefully it's something I can make work. I need some sort of fix since my XJ seat frame broke and it looks like I'm driving for P. Diddy in a rap video cause I'm leaning back so hard.

Well, I'll try to rip into these seats, update definitely to come...

Mudderoy
06-14-2012, 02:16 PM
Well hopefully it's something I can make work. I need some sort of fix since my XJ seat frame broke and it looks like I'm driving for P. Diddy in a rap video cause I'm leaning back so hard.

Well, I'll try to rip into these seats, update definitely to come...

Where did it break? If it's the front and the bracket hole pulled through (seems to be a common issue) you might be able to use a big washer like I did after my single vehicle accident.

Body shop said it couldn't be repaired, had to be replaced. I spent 15 minutes fixing it 5 years ago. Never had another problem. :thumbsup:

Sneedle Vision
06-14-2012, 07:25 PM
It turns out that it was the actual seat base that had broke. In the back right corner, there were 3 little tack welds holding ring that is the seat floor and then the base that actually mounts to the sliders.

Those 3 welds had broken and was causing the lean, so it wasn't the actual seat back that was the problem. So we used the acetylene torch to braze it back together. (don't have a mig or tig).

But.....since I had already bought the WJ seats, we went ahead and ripped 'em apart and married the 2. Here's the proof!

http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/j388/sneedlevision/IMAG0276.jpg

Now just to test and see if it's comfortable enough to switch to the driver's side.