PDA

View Full Version : Hybrid lift: coils and spacers

denverd1
06-13-2012, 01:58 PM
I'm sitting at 4.5" on RE coils w short arms. Would like to go up a few more inches to be at 6.5". Last time we were at BMRA I could tell I needed some bumpstop work. Kept rubbing the inner front fender when flexed out. So my question is this: since I could use more uptravel, wouldn't spacers give me a little more room? Being two inches higher would be great by itself but it seems the 2" spacers combined with 4.5" coils could be a good mix?

I know spacers are the cheap way to get some lift and not ideal by themselves. Are they ideal at all?? Maybe I should keep my eyes out for some 6" coils? Got shackle relocaters for the back. Was looking forward to getting the spacers/shackle kit installed then - bigger tires!! woohoo!! :drool:

4.3LXJ
06-13-2012, 02:02 PM
Sure it can be done. However, there are two issues here. And it all depends on what you want out of it. First, the angle of the lower links will be severe and it will transmit a jarring to the unibody when you hit things like tar strips. Second, you will need to pay attention to your castor angle. As the axle lowers it changes on short arms. Too little castor can contribute to wandering and death wobble.

bigjim350
06-13-2012, 07:05 PM
If you have adjustable upper and lowers I say go for it. It will ride rougher but not unbearable.

Sent from my nerdy smartphone

Firemanray
06-13-2012, 09:53 PM
Im at 6.5" with 3.5" springs and home made 3" spacers using stock uppers and pro-comp lowers. Ride is not to harsh and it tracks good with no wander or dw. It flexes very good and doesnt need bump stops. The fenders are extreem cut though.

olds-cool
06-13-2012, 10:51 PM
Im at 6.5" with 3.5" springs and home made 3" spacers using stock uppers and pro-comp lowers. Ride is not to harsh and it tracks good with no wander or dw. It flexes very good and doesnt need bump stops. The fenders are extreem cut though.

Home made spacers? Do tell...

xj4life2
06-13-2012, 11:14 PM
I had the 4.5 RE then used a 2" spacer and 3/4" isolator cut the fenders and could run 35's. I know cutting isn't for everyone but it is an option. Oh and I had no bump stops at all and could stuff my tires all the way into the wheel wells.

denverd1
06-15-2012, 11:29 AM
I had the 4.5 RE then used a 2" spacer and 3/4" isolator cut the fenders and could run 35's. I know cutting isn't for everyone but it is an option. Oh and I had no bump stops at all and could stuff my tires all the way into the wheel wells.

Short arms or long? I'd to do long arms eventually. My fenders have few inches off the front and a little off the back. I'm not afraid to cut more. found this long arm upgrade kit:
http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep_xj_689U.html

So i think i'm going to give it a whirl. Will need to get the SYE put in for sure. Also do you guys think I'd need a new DS for front or back? Does the SYE give any extra length? Just trying to figure out what else I'm going to need.

nateyz2000
06-15-2012, 12:00 PM
Short arms or long? I'd to do long arms eventually. My fenders have few inches off the front and a little off the back. I'm not afraid to cut more. found this long arm upgrade kit:
http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep_xj_689U.html

So i think i'm going to give it a whirl. Will need to get the SYE put in for sure. Also do you guys think I'd need a new DS for front or back? Does the SYE give any extra length? Just trying to figure out what else I'm going to need.

You will need a new ds for the rear for certain. I just put my sye kit in. I just got a stock xj front dl, had it rebuilt and lengthened. Mine measured out to 33 1/2 with new housing and yoke.

Nate
<><

denverd1
06-15-2012, 12:13 PM
So the double carden shaft is what i should look for? How much did the shop charge to lengthen it?

nateyz2000
06-15-2012, 01:35 PM
So the double carden shaft is what i should look for? How much did the shop charge to lengthen it?

Depends, I didn't have to pay, he owed me a favor. I think anywhere from $100 to $400 depending on what needs to be done, honestly, I think you would be better off buying a tom woods... They are almost cheaper than rebuilding one at a local shop. You can always ask.

Nate
<><

denverd1
06-15-2012, 02:18 PM
Cool Thx Nate

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

nateyz2000
06-15-2012, 02:21 PM
Cool Thx Nate

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

No prob!

Nate
<><

denverd1
06-26-2012, 01:33 PM
still kicking this around...

will i need a longer DS in the front?

4.3LXJ
06-26-2012, 01:53 PM
No you can use the same one

Firemanray
06-26-2012, 02:28 PM
Home made spacers? Do tell...
I almost missed this, been a few days but here it is:
http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd11/firemanray21/Jeep004.jpg
I used a 3" schd 40 pipe cut to the length of lift I wanted an welded a plate on bottom with a hole just big enough for the bump stop arm to fit through. The top of the bump stop arm flares out and just fits the I.D. of the pipe holding it in place. Been working great!!

bigbuk29
06-26-2012, 03:23 PM
I'm running a hybrid lift, with no major issues. Running 3.5 rustys springs in the front with 2" coil spacers, and adj. uppers and lowers from rc. also running rustys leafs in the back with a 2" block.:rolleye0012: now I know everyone says dont run blocks, because of axlewrap, it could fly out, they break, yadda yadda yadda. Ive been running it like this for 2 years, and never had an issue. Its been in everything from mud to boulders the size of vw's and no issues. But if you dont have adj. arms, I wouldnt do it, your front axle will be way to offcentered to ride good without. And as far as axle wrap with the blocks.........................if your running 400 plus horsepower and torque to match it, yea it could be an issue but with good springs our rigs dont have enough balls for that to be a major concern. Just my 2cents worth.:beavis:

Mudderoy
06-28-2012, 11:53 AM
I'm running a hybrid lift, with no major issues. Running 3.5 rustys springs in the front with 2" coil spacers, and adj. uppers and lowers from rc. also running rustys leafs in the back with a 2" block.:rolleye0012: now I know everyone says dont run blocks, because of axlewrap, it could fly out, they break, yadda yadda yadda. Ive been running it like this for 2 years, and never had an issue. Its been in everything from mud to boulders the size of vw's and no issues. But if you dont have adj. arms, I wouldnt do it, your front axle will be way to offcentered to ride good without. And as far as axle wrap with the blocks.........................if your running 400 plus horsepower and torque to match it, yea it could be an issue but with good springs our rigs dont have enough balls for that to be a major concern. Just my 2cents worth.:beavis:

Always great to hear what people have experienced vs. the general knowledge. Thanks for sharing it! :thumbsup: