PDA

View Full Version : Death wobble... I think?

rikahaem
06-06-2012, 06:26 PM
So I feel like an idiot, but I'm not totally sure if I have death wobble or if something else is the problem...

The first time I felt it was a few months ago as I was doin 60 down a moderately bumpy/run-down highway. I hit some major crackage in the road and the jeep started vibrating hardcore. I hit my brakes, nothing happened, so I pulled over and stopped. Tires looked fine so I was confused.

A few weeks ago, the same thing happened as I was goin about 45/50 in town on a horrid road (Thanks Southern AZ for taking care of your roads so well... :bang:).

Earlier today, had the EXACT same problem. Hit some cracks in the road while going 45/50 and I was vibrating like crazy so I pulled off the road.

I KNOW that my brakes need to be replaced and that my tires are due for a rotation. Is it likely that I have death wobble or does this sound like something else and I'm just overreacting? Is it possible that my shocks/suspension are just shot?

prerunner1982
06-06-2012, 10:25 PM
I would certainly rotate your tires and see if that helps. I was having horrible death wobble but I had two different sized tires on the front due to have some non-repairable flat tires. I finally was able to put two equal sized tires on the front and it made a ton of difference, though I can still feel it wanting to wobble when the speed increases.

There is still something going out in my front end, but for the moment I am good to go. I would imagine you have something that needs to be replaced and it is possible that the tires are emphasizing the problem. I have looked at everything on mine and think that I need to replace the control arm bushings, however worn tie rod ends, ball joints and track bar can cause the shakes as well.

You will hear people say to replace your steering stabilizer and while it may be shot, it is not the cause or the cure for death wobble. It may help control the bump steer that could be triggering the death wobble, but regardless there is still something else wrong.

Bump Steer: When hitting a bump in the road your vehicle will veer to one side or another.

Carves
06-06-2012, 10:53 PM
X 2 on prerunners comments.

Rotating tyres first up, is a good move ... in case its a balance issue.

Otherwise its either - one part has a major wear issue ... or all of them have minor wear issues - substantial enough to cause a problem.

A new steering damper may alleviate the problem ... but its not a fix.

Brasscatz
06-06-2012, 11:01 PM
Do you feel it mainly in the suspension? Could it be shocks?

XJ Wheeler
06-07-2012, 12:35 AM
Back when i had death wobble a new bright shiny alignment was the fix. When was the last time it was aligned?

4.3LXJ
06-07-2012, 10:29 AM
Sounds like classic death wobble.

After the tire swap, get someone to saw the steering wheel back and forth while you look underneath. Look for things that move that shouldn't. Pay particular attention to the track bar. Also check the steering box adjustment while doing this. The pitman arm should move immediately when the sector shaft rotates.

xj4life2
06-07-2012, 10:35 AM
X2 on the track bar bushingss , 99.9% of the time thats the issue. The track bar is designed to keep the axle aligned under the Jeep and when the bushings are shot it fights against itself and "death wobble" happens. I also agree that the steering stabilizer will mask the signs of death wobble but will not fix it. One thing we do here is remove the stabilizer after the repair for death wobble to insure we got it. Oh for those of you wondering what idiot actually goes out and tries to envoke death wobble..... yup that would be me !!!! Didn't know I was a stunt driver too, did ya ?

bluedragon436
06-07-2012, 11:10 AM
X2 on the track bar bushingss , 99.9% of the time thats the issue. The track bar is designed to keep the axle aligned under the Jeep and when the bushings are shot it fights against itself and "death wobble" happens. I also agree that the steering stabilizer will mask the signs of death wobble but will not fix it. One thing we do here is remove the stabilizer after the repair for death wobble to insure we got it. Oh for those of you wondering what idiot actually goes out and tries to envoke death wobble..... yup that would be me !!!! Didn't know I was a stunt driver too, did ya ?

I am going to order new bushings for my Trac bar today from Kevins offroad, as he has the thicker better quality materials for his bushings... to see if I can't stop my death wobble that has just started... I am really hoping that this is the issue, as I don't really have a whole lot of spare money to throw at it, due to just replacing the radiator and hoses to stop it from overheating... at least that issue is taken care of..

LizardRunner
06-07-2012, 12:28 PM
I agree with Steve. Death wobble is almost always caused by Track Bar issues. I would check all the bushings in the front end and replace the questionable ones. Kevin's off road has very good stuff, including a section on Death Wobble and how to fix it.

dagod16
08-08-2012, 04:28 AM
I have the same problem and I think I am going to get an alignment first, not an emergency.

Ya know I started doing my own repairs and now I'm addicted to trying to improve my XJ. another 2K added to the mile total and I just hit 177,000 and still ticking. No reason I can't hit 200,000 and go on to 300,000. The miles just add up fast and keep on going.

4.3LXJ
08-08-2012, 09:53 AM
Sounds like the bug has bitten. There is no cure for it except indulging it.

bigbuk29
08-08-2012, 06:14 PM
Sounds like classic death wobble.

After the tire swap, get someone to saw the steering wheel back and forth while you look underneath. Look for things that move that shouldn't. Pay particular attention to the track bar. Also check the steering box adjustment while doing this. The pitman arm should move immediately when the sector shaft rotates.

spent 3 months chasing death wobble on my rig, finally got it straight, and then the front pinion blows on me, so I change the whole axle, to get death wobble back again:bang:, seems everytime I think I have the trac-bar tight enough it isnt. Thats always the first thing I go after with a vengence:sniper:. I havnt ran a steering stabilizer in 2 years, seems like I can tell sooner when something is going that will cause DW

dagod16
08-08-2012, 10:53 PM
I think I have the death wobble although it's a minor case of it. I am going to replace the steering damper,$35 bucks and it will be done.

Sounds fun. Heck I might find all kinds of stuff that needs to be fixed.
hahahahahahah

prerunner1982
08-08-2012, 10:57 PM
I think I have the death wobble although it's a minor case of it. I am going to replace the steering damper,$35 bucks and it will be done.

And only a bandaid......

bigbuk29
08-09-2012, 01:01 AM

Sounds fun. Heck I might find all kinds of stuff that needs to be fixed.
hahahahahahah

check everything over if it just minor, do it right before it gets real expensive ask me how I know this:rolleye0012:

dagod16
08-09-2012, 07:45 AM
Well I didn't have any issues until I replaced all the shocks. After that I realized I have more feeling sensitivity in my tires and the bumps and so on.
I looked underneath and everything is tight and working fine.
After I replace the steering damper can someone give me another idea as to what is the problem?

Do they sell an over all bushing kit for the underside of the vehicle. For the entire front end.

prcjeep
08-09-2012, 08:43 AM
http://www.quadratec.com/products/product_search.php?pg=2&mn=Daystar
Well I didn't have any issues until I replaced all the shocks. After that I realized I have more feeling sensitivity in my tires and the bumps and so on.
I looked underneath and everything is tight and working fine.
After I replace the steering damper can someone give me another idea as to what is the problem?

Do they sell an over all bushing kit for the underside of the vehicle. For the entire front end.

Yes, they do sell one, let me see if I can remember where... I think quadratec listed Daystars bushing sets

http://www.quadratec.com/products/product_search.php?pg=2&mn=Daystar

4.3LXJ
08-09-2012, 09:28 AM
Daystar makes bushings for the whole Jeep. You can get fronts and rears. But if you are getting death wobble the most important one in that kit will be the trac bar bushing. When you get ready, we can give you more details. I believe we will be having a pod cast on that subject.

dagod16
08-10-2012, 07:51 AM
Does someone sell an overall bushings kits kit for the entire front end?
Just wondering because I would like to replace all of that.

Going to buy the steering damper today. $29.99

I really only drive 90% highway miles on my xj so I think it can handle a bit more ware on the vehicle in general. That sentence doesn't make sense but I'm going with it!

4.3LXJ
08-10-2012, 09:12 AM
Yes, generally that is how they are sold. Daystar, Prothane and probably some others.

dagod16
08-10-2012, 08:34 PM
I bought the steering damper and will install it tomorrow after my nap sometime later in the afternoon. I can't properly work on my jeep without a nap.
hahahahah