PDA

View Full Version : Walmart, cheap tires installed by monkeys

Mikentucky72
06-05-2012, 07:13 PM
I just spent 2 hours at Wally World watching 3 techs try to put my new BF Goodrich TA/KO's on my stock rims. They failed! Anybody know the secret to getting a size 235/75/r15's on a 15" stock rim. Their prob was the bead would not seat. We even tried a ratchet strap to smoosh the tire but I think the sidewalls are too thick for their machine to inflate and pop that bead on. I am going back in a.m. to see if their old timer knows how to do it. Could really use some good advice to bring with me. Thanks

JENSSEN
06-05-2012, 07:16 PM
Was the valve in the valve stem when they tried? If so remove it more pressure and lube is your fiend

Mikentucky72
06-05-2012, 07:21 PM
No they werent in. I wonder if the old ether and match trick would work.

xj4life2
06-05-2012, 07:23 PM
Please dont take this wrong , but seriously ,Wall-mart ? What did you expect ? they couldn't pour piss out of a boot with instructions on the heel. Go to a real , reputible tire shop and have it done . They will be correct and balanced right so you have trouble free driving.Think of it this way, most burger flippers make more than Wall-mart tire guys. Do you really want them messin' with what you ride on??
Stock size on the rig is a 225x75-15 your only going up one size, it should fit just fine. If nothing else at least call another shop and ask them.

4.3LXJ
06-05-2012, 07:55 PM
I know some Mexicans that can mount anything and do it cheap.

Seriously, if you are buying tires from Walmart, you might want to think about it. Walmart buys enough tires, they can name their own specs. There have been some trouble with the Walmart Goodyear Duratracs. They fall apart with weight on them.

Firemanray
06-05-2012, 09:57 PM
Ether and a match or gasoline and a match:D Used to seat truck tires with those dangerous combos, then again I have always liked to blow stuff up.

On a serious note, a shop that handles big tires will have an apparatus that can inflate those stuborn tires. Not sure what it's called but it blasts a large amount of air into the seat from the outside causing the tire to expand rapidly thus seating the bead.

I think"blow stuff up" is on the homeland security watch list. Hope I don't have blackhawks circling my house in a while.

msmoorenburg
06-05-2012, 10:14 PM
its called a bead blaster, hints the huge surge tank on the back of the unit. All they need to do is pull the tire up and stomp the air infiltrator valve for a sec and let off and poof its seated and airing up. short video of the volume of air a bead blaster can produce

http://youtu.be/qoOfdn7Bu4Y

panama red
06-05-2012, 10:16 PM
Thy just need a cheater. High pressure air gun. Looks like a large hair drier.

Mudderoy
06-05-2012, 11:37 PM
Please dont take this wrong , but seriously ,Wall-mart ? What did you expect ? they couldn't pour piss out of a boot with instructions on the heel. Go to a real , reputible tire shop and have it done . They will be correct and balanced right so you have trouble free driving.Think of it this way, most burger flippers make more than Wall-mart tire guys. Do you really want them messin' with what you ride on??
Stock size on the rig is a 225x75-15 your only going up one size, it should fit just fine. If nothing else at least call another shop and ask them.

That was pretty graphic, I don't think ANYONE could take that wrong. :smiley-scared002: :rotfl2:

nickxj94
06-06-2012, 12:23 AM
If all else fails get some Murphy's tire soap and cram in the beads and it will air right up, or take it to a shop with a cheetah blaster, I'm a tire man/ mechanic for a livin that's what I do when I have stubborn Tires and also try setting the tire outside in the sun for 20 minutes or so till its hot to touch it may air right up,

Mikentucky72
06-06-2012, 06:19 AM
Try to find that tire cheaper anywhere else, you won't. They are also gonna discount them because of all the hassle so far. I was gonna suggest the "put them in the sun trick" today to them, but of course it's raining. Stand by :)

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

xj4life2
06-06-2012, 10:41 AM
That was pretty graphic, I don't think ANYONE could take that wrong. :smiley-scared002: :rotfl2:

Just trying to keep a member from making a big mistake!!! I could make a living fixing Wall-mart repairs.

As for pricing ..... Buy the tires from them if you would like but let a "real" tire guy mount them for ya. I have used chemtool and a match several times in my life, yes it works but as has been mentioned here before its very dangerous and we only use it on trail repairs when we have to to get home.Have you checked tire rack on line for priceing? Just a thought...... Best of luck Mark

cantab27
06-07-2012, 05:46 AM
aw man i wanna see the monkeys fitting the tires.......with mark ,,buy em there , take to a tire shop to fit....;)