PDA

View Full Version : Installing AT transmission cooler

wixomga
06-01-2012, 06:38 PM
While attempting to install an auxiliary AT cooler, I discovered I was not getting much flow through the radiator. Tracked down the lines and found both lines coming from the transmission were kinked (almost bent double) right where they begin to form around the engine, due to who knows what. I was surprised they weren't leaking, but gratefully they were not. Nothing obvious that could have caused it. I ordered new hard lines, but found that there seems to be some confusion in the parts list as to which line is the supply and which the return. I will figure it out, but want to make sure I plumb the aux cooler into the right line.:headshake:

Carves
06-01-2012, 08:53 PM
Squashed hardlines are caused by the control arm at full flex/discoed swaybar ... so Im led to believe.

There should even be a kink in the edge of the sump cover ... If mine is anything to go by ... :mad:

Cut the hard lines short and reroute it all - with some rubber, tranny hose and clamps ... is the easiest solution.

Not surprised theres some confusion ... the parts book labels the same line - either Supply ... or Return, depending on yr model, or rhd or lhd .. :bang:

I might need correcting ... but Ive always taken it for granted that the line to the cooler, comes from the front tranny connection ... and the line from the cooler goes to the tranny, rear connection.

denverd1
06-02-2012, 10:32 AM
Are these lines high pressure? Is there specific hose to use like steel braided or anything? I really like the idea of splicing in rubber where its kinked instead of replacing the hardline.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

4.3LXJ
06-02-2012, 10:40 AM
They are not high pressure. But I used braided hose just for durability

XJMJeep
06-03-2012, 01:49 AM
The way I installed mine was cut the top line running into the radiator, add the soft line to that and run it to the top of the trany cooler.
Then from the bottom of the trany cooler, soft line back to the top of the radiator.
May be overkill but works for me.

http://i1205.photobucket.com/albums/bb432/XJMJeep/IMG_20110821_175656.jpg

wixomga
06-04-2012, 01:37 PM
Great comments from everyone. I like the idea of braided lines especially for rough terrain. The method to cut the return line from the radiator cooler is probably what i will do for my aux cooler; after i get my new hard lines and figure out a better way to route (mentioned in a comment above), I will nail down the plumbing for the aux cooler. Thx for all the good comments.

TimmyTXJ
03-22-2013, 11:40 AM
Time to revive an old thread :)

I'm going to be installing a trans cooler this weekend. I'd like to install it in-line after it's already been routed through the radiator.

Transmission -> Radiator -> Trans Cooler -> Transmission

My question, then, is which line do I need to tap into? I'm assuming the bottom one?
Thanks!

msmoorenburg
03-22-2013, 01:02 PM
Time to revive an old thread :)

I'm going to be installing a trans cooler this weekend. I'd like to install it in-line after it's already been routed through the radiator.

Transmission -> Radiator -> Trans Cooler -> Transmission

My question, then, is which line do I need to tap into? I'm assuming the bottom one?
Thanks!

the line on the rear of the tranny is the return line

http://i1135.photobucket.com/albums/m639/sellitx/aw4cooler_zps8ecf52a2.jpg

XJ Wheeler
03-22-2013, 01:54 PM
That's how i'm going to route mine, once i get the right fitting.:rolleyes:

TimmyTXJ
03-22-2013, 04:56 PM
the line on the rear of the tranny is the return line

http://i1135.photobucket.com/albums/m639/sellitx/aw4cooler_zps8ecf52a2.jpg

Thank you sir! :)

Joliet Johnny
03-23-2013, 03:54 AM
When I installed my trans cooler to fix a leak I just went top to top bottom to bottom. Its been 2 winters and no issues so far. Ive included a link to the write up I did. Feel free to add pics of yours to it. http://www.xjtalk.com/showthread.php?t=7973