PDA

View Full Version : Replacing SkyCrapper UCA heims

olds-cool
06-01-2012, 09:38 AM
I've got SkyCrapper UCAs with heims on the body side. One of them is failing which is causing a lot of squeeking and random clunking. Customer service gave me part #'s NG34R-10 or NG34L-10. From searching and breaking down the part number, I believe this is a 3/4-16 heim with a 10mm hole. I am not happy with heims and at $65 a piece, they can cram them up their cram hole! Ideally, I'd like something that still offers a lot of flex for off-road but will absorb some of the bumps and vibrations of on-road driving. This leads me to Currie Johnny Joints. The closest thing I can find is this one (http://www.currieenterprises.com/cestore/Product.aspx?id=1262).
So I have a few questions... First, is that a valid replacement? Will it only require me to drill out the holes in the mounts? Am I correct in assuming the JJs will absorb some of the harsh ride that I have now? Does anyone have any better suggestions for a replacment joint?

I'm not expecting a Cadillac ride but I'd rather not have to wear a kidney belt just to drive down the highway.

Mudderoy
06-01-2012, 09:51 AM
lol "Skycrapper" Don't look up!

olds-cool
06-01-2012, 10:21 AM
lol "Skycrapper" Don't look up!

PriceJacker might be another good name for them. Have you seen the price of their lift kits? I'm glad I didn't throw down the change on this junk, I'd be even more pissed with them than I already am. I won't even use their shocks, I hate them so much now. Overpriced garbage.

Mudderoy
06-01-2012, 10:39 AM
PriceJacker might be another good name for them. Have you seen the price of their lift kits? I'm glad I didn't throw down the change on this junk, I'd be even more pissed with them than I already am. I won't even use their shocks, I hate them so much now. Overpriced garbage.

Gosh I guess it was 5 years ago now, that I started researching lifts for my XJ. Rough Country was really the only thing in my price range, so I looked for reviews and did searches like "rough country sucks". They had their share of issues, but none of it I could attribute to either bad customer service, or a bad product, so I went with them. I've been very happy, and when it came time to lift the TJ, I didn't blink, I didn't search, I just looked to see what Rough Country had available for the TJ. Then I contacted Ron at 4wheelingplus.com and ordered it. Great lift, rides better than stock.

4.3LXJ
06-01-2012, 11:43 AM
When high articulation suspensions first came out, they went to heims in spite of their weaknesses, wear and stretching. It was an industry standard and you had to live with it. Now, after lots of complaints by average wheelers like you and me, the rebuildable spherical rod end was developed. Johnny Joints led the way and Rough Country followed the basic design. Now Parts Mike has improved that with the adjustable/rebuildable joint. But unfortunately they don't have the smaller joint available at this time. But if you do use a solid joint of some type, the trick is to use a more pliable joint on the other end.

Mudderoy
06-01-2012, 12:20 PM
When high articulation suspensions first came out, they went to heims in spite of their weaknesses, wear and stretching. It was an industry standard and you had to live with it. Now, after lots of complaints by average wheelers like you and me, the rebuildable spherical rod end was developed. Johnny Joints led the way and Rough Country followed the basic design. Now Parts Mike has improved that with the adjustable/rebuildable joint. But unfortunately they don't have the smaller joint available at this time. But if you do use a solid joint of some type, the trick is to use a more pliable joint on the other end.

What is this joint?

http://roughcountry.com/images_large/jeep_1079.jpg

This is the track bar I have now (since they replaced the bent one). Should I be concerned at how long this joint will last?

xj4life2
06-01-2012, 12:25 PM
Rubicon Express does have thier re buildable joints also called HDSF1 ASSEMBLY and come in two different sizes.They offer 28* of movement . The joint you have there is spherical rod end and is not rebuildable but inexpensive to replace.

olds-cool
06-01-2012, 12:26 PM
4.3, the other end of the UCAs has poly bushings, although probably just as worn out as every other junk bushing they use. Trying to attack them one piece at a time, starting with that heim cause the squeeking sound coming from my floorboards is driving me nuts. So am I understanding correctly that a spherical rod end of some type will help solve some of the harshness but still allow the articulation I am used to?
I'd love to replace this whole bloody lift but it's not in the budget right now and when I do, it'll prob be IRO or home brew long arms.

4.3LXJ
06-01-2012, 12:34 PM
What is this joint?

Here is the link

http://www.partsmike.com/store/store.php?crn=239

http://i649.photobucket.com/albums/uu215/warriorsuspension/IMG_1099.jpg

http://i649.photobucket.com/albums/uu215/warriorsuspension/IMG_1100.jpg

wolfsxj
06-04-2012, 02:04 AM
I have a skyjacker lift and havent had a problem at all with it. I got it 10 years ago and it was the best at the time. Knowing what I know now I would build my own for much less. That said I also thought I had clunking from the joints for years but in the end I found out it wasnt the joints but the trany shift links I would check them it is a comon problem. I have had 6 cherokees now and have found it to be the problem with clunking several times after a lift and trany drop because it changed things. You should check those because it sounds just like a joint. Good luck

bigjim350
06-04-2012, 02:59 AM
Rough Country's flex joints are rebuildable, and the new ones have adjustable preload.

olds-cool
06-04-2012, 07:39 AM
I have a skyjacker lift and havent had a problem at all with it. I got it 10 years ago and it was the best at the time. Knowing what I know now I would build my own for much less. That said I also thought I had clunking from the joints for years but in the end I found out it wasnt the joints but the trany shift links I would check them it is a comon problem. I have had 6 cherokees now and have found it to be the problem with clunking several times after a lift and trany drop because it changed things. You should check those because it sounds just like a joint. Good luck

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll give them a look but I'm 90% sure it's the pass side UCA. I reached in there one day and was able to give it a shake. It's only loose when it's sitting on all fours though. Once I jack up the front and the axle is hanging, it doesn't wanna move.

wolfsxj
06-04-2012, 09:00 AM
Maybe adjust it a tad and give it some more load when its setting might help too