PDA

View Full Version : "Cool"ant idea... would this idea work?

XJ4IV
05-31-2012, 08:46 PM
so after a friend of mine designed a custom tube buggy and BUILT it he found that his idea was a success... he made several portions of his tubing an extension of his cooling system... basically he took his output from the radiator in the back of the vehicle and ran a pipe the length of the vehicle up to the block and then where it came out of the motor he ran ANOTHER line on the other side if his vehicle back to the radiator....
MY idea is to get some tubing and run it the lengthof the vehicle and come across the INSIDE of the rear bumper and come back up the passenger side and tie it back into the cooling system!

bigjim350
05-31-2012, 08:53 PM
Why?

Sent from my nerdy smartphone

XJ4IV
05-31-2012, 11:01 PM
to help the coolant cool down better... mine overheats time and time again... I have the three row I have new very good fans I have a new water pump I just had the coolant flushed and STILL she gets hot so I decided to extend the distance traveled to help ease the heat!

bigjim350
05-31-2012, 11:05 PM
I could see going through all that trouble if you were mounting a rad in the rear, but just doesnt seem like you'd see much gains from doing that. Sounds like you have a issue somewhere else. There are lots and lots of XJ's that run cool without doing that. Just seems like it would be easier to find out what the issue is and fix it.

cantab27
05-31-2012, 11:07 PM
chop it and throw the rad in the back.....

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?p=12172315

we have heaps do it down here on yotas and such when they v8 em......

Carves
06-01-2012, 12:41 AM
You might want to consider an electric waterpump in the line to help push the coolant around. ?

My little project come summer will be an extended lower hose with a loop across the front crossmember.

I want to see whether an extra quart or so will make a difference to the front & rear engine temps Ive been logging.

Personally tho ... especially on a buggy like yours ... Im thinking the XJ "cooling fix" ... is moving the crossmember ... and fitting a bigger rad to gain the extra liquid capacity .... and some more, core cooling.

Cooler liquid wont hurt ... it will give the thermostat something to do - besides being in the wide open position all day ... ;)

Mudderoy
06-01-2012, 06:17 AM
I don't think Scott has enough CFM with the two electric fans he is running, if I remember his set up correctly. Check out the setup on DirtBound Offroad Scott.

XJ4IV
06-03-2012, 01:00 PM
I don't think Scott has enough CFM with the two electric fans he is running, if I remember his set up correctly. Check out the setup on DirtBound Offroad Scott.

i have plenty of CFM... I HAVE the dirtbound setup for two fans
I checked the stats out adn mine actually produce more CFM per fan than those do

Mudderoy
06-03-2012, 04:54 PM
i have plenty of CFM... I HAVE the dirtbound setup for two fans
I checked the stats out adn mine actually produce more CFM per fan than those do

You say you HAVE the DirtBound setup, does that include a shroud?

KH96XJ
06-03-2012, 06:58 PM
I haven't looked at your photos real close and my jeep isn't here to try and make a guess. Is there enough space behind the front fenders to add a heater core at each of your vent holes and tie them into your cooling system?

BlueXJ
06-03-2012, 08:22 PM
That is an excellent idea.
The problem is the inlet and output hose sizes.which are way to small to get an adequate flow into the stock system.
A small radiator on the drivers side to add to the coolant capacity might work(one from a motorcycle) as well and the idea of a larger capacity radiator is workable with an altered crossmember.

bigjim350
06-03-2012, 08:44 PM
These are all great ideas. But like I said there must be some other problem somewhere cause your system should be able to keep the jeep cool.

BlueXJ
06-04-2012, 09:36 AM
These are all great ideas. But like I said there must be some other problem somewhere cause your system should be able to keep the jeep cool.

The cooling system is not really designed for the heat of Texas or the southwest. It does OK in Michigan or Ohio but it is less than ideal when it comes this far south. That and the few modifications that are common are still not suited for the heat of the southwest. A larger capacity system seems in order for us in this geographic location. Capacity which is not so large as to overtax the waterpump and not so small as to be insignificant. We need a middle ground that will cool the 4.0L engine in the heat produced by summers in south Texas.
JMHO

msmoorenburg
06-04-2012, 10:44 AM
Scott go get your cooling system checked for exhaust gasses. Also ditch the 3 row radiator and get a big single alum core unit. My 91 has a blown head gasket (proven via exhaust gas test) and i have no cooling issues currently.

4.3LXJ
06-04-2012, 11:28 AM
The cooling system is not really designed for the heat of Texas or the southwest. It does OK in Michigan or Ohio but it is less than ideal when it comes this far south. That and the few modifications that are common are still not suited for the heat of the southwest. A larger capacity system seems in order for us in this geographic location. Capacity which is not so large as to overtax the waterpump and not so small as to be insignificant. We need a middle ground that will cool the 4.0L engine in the heat produced by summers in south Texas.
JMHO

I agree. The 4.0 system is marginal at best

XJ4IV
06-04-2012, 06:39 PM
Scott go get your cooling system checked for exhaust gasses. Also ditch the 3 row radiator and get a big single alum core unit. My 91 has a blown head gasket (proven via exhaust gas test) and i have no cooling issues currently.

matt on that 91 would you put it on the road for a three hours trip with the cooling system the way it is right now?

Carves
06-04-2012, 07:47 PM
JMHO

You can maximise the cooling potential of what was originally fitted ... which for many drivers is enough .... or you can fit a proper cooling system suited to the vehicle and its tasking.

bigjim350
06-04-2012, 09:40 PM
My cooling system is stock, except for a trans cooler, and my e-fan on a switch. I do live in TX with the hot summers. My jeep never gets over 210 while wheeling, driving down the highway, or sitting in traffic. And thats with the A/C on. And thats lifted on 33's.

KH96XJ
06-04-2012, 10:32 PM
My cooling system is stock, except for a trans cooler, and my e-fan on a switch. I do live in TX with the hot summers. My jeep never gets over 210 while wheeling, driving down the highway, or sitting in traffic. And thats with the A/C on. And thats lifted on 33's.

How often do you feel the need to turn on your e-fan?

bigjim350
06-04-2012, 11:05 PM
If im rolling slow for a while or stopped in traffic I turn it on. I dont wait till it gets too warm.

msmoorenburg
06-05-2012, 07:20 AM
matt on that 91 would you put it on the road for a three hours trip with the cooling system the way it is right now?

Having a known blown head gasket no not a 3hr trip I, have driven into Houston numerous times (just under 50 miles one way) with the air on at 75 mph. Scott you need to understand ram air at 75 far exceeds any mech/electric fan shoot even at 35. I forgot the other day and let the Jeep idle for 2hrs (I jumped off a dead car at the shop,and started to build a motor) when I got back to the Jeep it was at 230 and super cool inside (yes the a/c was on) My cooling system is bone stock with a GC fan clutch