PDA

View Full Version : Wheres the heat coming from???

XJ4IV
05-30-2012, 10:21 PM
ok so today I went and did a little wheelin... just to check out the new stuff I did and AGAIN the transmission tunnel where the center console is get FREAKING hot! Im not sure WHY it gets so hot now, I originally thought it was due to a severe exhaust leak at the manifold or having very old oil but after fixing those two issues the tunnel STILL get freaking hot... when I say hot it will leave a red mark on your skin if you rest you hand on it for a second or two, about as hot as perhaps the valve cover! at one point it was SOOOO hot that I decided to shoot some of that spray foam insulation up there but it didnt stick very well cause the underside had a decent layer of oil adhered to it...
so brief recap
new motor oil swapped and under 25 miles on the new oil and filter
new trans fluid same mileage
new exhaust manifold same mileage
coolant flushed same mileage

cantab27
05-30-2012, 10:36 PM
mine was the same scott...no carpet and she gets hot as through there...pull the carpets on some tjs and there's a sticker with a warning about heat on said tunnel...didnt like driving the xj in bare feet got to hot if ya rested ya foot in wrong spot...

Carves
05-30-2012, 11:39 PM
Yep ... once upon a time ... Vehicle carpet/insulation was an option ... Now its a nescessity :rolleyes:

Lack of airflow/heat dissipation space ... would be my guess.

Just thinking out loud ....

- Yours an auto ?? .... Hows your tranny oil temps ??
- Too much air getting out vents ... instead of flowing under & past the gearbox ??
- Exhaust blockage ??

... seems you've solved the problem pretty well already tho ... ;) .. :D

http://i1133.photobucket.com/albums/m590/XJ4IV/IMG_1892.jpg

default83
05-31-2012, 08:19 AM
yup, my TJ was the same way, i ended up using some kind of insulation stuff (forgot the name of it) on the underside and under the carpet, it helped a little but still hot as hell. i think the problem is how thin that metal is and where the exhaust is routed, but thats just a guess..

denverd1
05-31-2012, 04:11 PM
personally, my tranny cooler lines are pinched. Looks like they contacted the oil pan bolts somewhere along the way and Im surprised it hasn't caused any real probs for my trans. Good to know that the bump getting hot is normal cause mine does it too!

4.3LXJ
05-31-2012, 06:17 PM
Mine does it too. Auto trannys get as hot as the engine and are in a tunnel where the heat can get trapped. I beat the tunnel heat with the carpets, but after a couple of hours of wheeling the shifter handle gets hot enough to be uncomfortable to touch just from the mechanism being in contact with the tunnel

XJ4IV
05-31-2012, 06:54 PM
well good to know Im NOT alone in this... I cannot wheel in the summer with this thing LOL I THINK im gonna install a small fan under the vehicle to disapate the heat its ridiculous my son was riding in there with me last year and he yelled at the top of his lungs I was like WTF is you r problem and he said his feet burned on the floor BEFORE carpet removal... when I finally removed the carpet I noticed a small portion on that side that had literally BURNED the bottom of the carpet.
anyone else have any solutions?

cantab27
05-31-2012, 07:39 PM
not for that , but would run a bigger trans cooler......

cantab27
05-31-2012, 07:49 PM
personally, my tranny cooler lines are pinched. Looks like they contacted the oil pan bolts somewhere along the way and Im surprised it hasn't caused any real probs for my trans. Good to know that the bump getting hot is normal cause mine does it too!

my first trans swap i was worried about the heat thing...heat killed it in the first place..so got mates xj and run them both the same speed and distance,,both were as hot as each other...tis a jeep thing......:D

XJ4IV
05-31-2012, 08:39 PM
soooo I guess I run an AUX cooler for the transmission and I anticipate making MUCH longer linesto help disepate the heat as well... I had ALWAYS planned on doing that with my coolant as well... run a pipe down the inside of the frame rail the whole length of the vehicle and come back up front and feed back into the radiator... only drawback is a MUCH higher coolant volume!

nickxj94
05-31-2012, 08:58 PM
Both my xjs tunnel gets hot a heck to every jeep I've been in does it just a poor design I reckon

XJ Wheeler
06-01-2012, 01:29 AM
You could mount up some aluminum plates on the inside of the tunnel, but make sure to space it like 1/2" out to add a layer of equalized (i hope that's the right word) air. Like double pane windows. I've seen that done for mufflers under there.

default83
06-01-2012, 07:40 AM
i think your best bet is to try to insulate it man, im not sure a fan would do much. its not just auto trannys, my tj was a standard.

or you could try to cut some sort of hole on one side of the tunnel and put a fan in the hole it would make it hot in the cab but it would take the heat off the floor i would think, but then you have a hole in the tunnel.

bed line the underside and the top, then throw some sort of insulation on top of the bedliner, that should do the trick, or at least help alot. like that stuff they put under the carpet, the silver crap...

4.3LXJ
06-01-2012, 09:09 AM
soooo I guess I run an AUX cooler for the transmission and I anticipate making MUCH longer linesto help disepate the heat as well... I had ALWAYS planned on doing that with my coolant as well... run a pipe down the inside of the frame rail the whole length of the vehicle and come back up front and feed back into the radiator... only drawback is a MUCH higher coolant volume!

And much more heat into the unibody

denverd1
06-01-2012, 11:32 AM
The "silver crap" is Dynamat or similar stuff. Typically used to insulate sound waves in the cars with the big crazy bass installations!! :D

Would prolly work... but it seems like insulating just pushes the heat back down on to the tranny.

I'm thinking of some type of air flow system but that doesn't help when wheeling at low speeds. Gotta be fan driven. Couldn't we add a fan to the rad/tranny cooler? Bigger tranny cooler? We know that heat kills the tranny more than anything...

XJ4IV
06-01-2012, 10:13 PM
well Im gonna try first things first... others have said to opt for this as well...
AUX trans cooler... it seperates the trans heat away from the coolant heat which means that they dont feed off each others heat, that MIGHT even help the engine temps too

XJ4IV
06-01-2012, 10:23 PM
Im gonna pick this guy up tomorrow and install it perhaps sunday afternoon so HOPEFULLY Ill let everyone know how everything goes!

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Torqflo-7-1-2-x-12-3-4-in-Pro-Cool-transmission-oil-cooler/_/N-25io?itemIdentifier=238921_0_0_

denverd1
06-01-2012, 11:48 PM
Looks good. Let us know how it goes

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

bigjim350
06-02-2012, 01:38 AM
Im running that trans cooler. Havent really noticed any diff in trans or engine temps. Although I dont have a trans temp gauge.

gary63
06-02-2012, 08:15 AM
if you run pipe and add more coolent it will add more lode on your eng. and rais the temp. v8 can do that 6 and 4 need elec. pumps. the heat you are feeling is from 4 things eng., exst., trans., and the one everyone fogets about the tranfore case. In 4wheel the t-case work harder and nothing is cooling it off .
the air that it gets is heated up by the eng. tran. and exst..I will try and get some pix of the setup we did on one xj and I'm going to put on mine. we run a elec. pump from the t-case drain to a inline cooler to the outside of the unibody and back to the fill plug. it drop the temp. in the t-case and the tran. temp. went down alittle and the tunel temp. went down we also run a air vent from the front to the top side of the trans.

cantab27
06-02-2012, 11:14 AM
Im gonna pick this guy up tomorrow and install it perhaps sunday afternoon so HOPEFULLY Ill let everyone know how everything goes!

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Torqflo-7-1-2-x-12-3-4-in-Pro-Cool-transmission-oil-cooler/_/N-25io?itemIdentifier=238921_0_0_

have one for babie sitting in the shed...heat doesn't seem to be a problem in her , unlike the old xj..

XJ4IV
06-03-2012, 12:40 PM
jim on yours where did you install yours? I was looking mine over yesterday and that voided area under the winch looks like a decent idea but I need to fab a bracket for it to help aid in protection... ive wheeled pretty good on rocks and such before and Ive NEVER hit that spot so I think thats a decent location for breathability

XJ4IV
06-03-2012, 07:04 PM
ok so a few hours of work and its all done!
placement
http://i1133.photobucket.com/albums/m590/XJ4IV/IMG035.jpg
modified the location a TAD and made a bracket of will be mirrored on the other side for power steering once I go to hydro assist
http://i1133.photobucket.com/albums/m590/XJ4IV/IMG036.jpg
welded in place
http://i1133.photobucket.com/albums/m590/XJ4IV/IMG037.jpg
final product
http://i1133.photobucket.com/albums/m590/XJ4IV/IMG038.jpg
soooo lets go wheelin to see if it works out!!!

bigjim350
06-03-2012, 08:53 PM
I mounted mine behind the grill. I like the way you mounted yours, but like I said in the other thread I would weld some expanded metal over it to protect it just in case. However if you do bust it, just keep the needed parts and tools in your jeep to hook it back up to the rad.

XJ4IV
06-03-2012, 09:28 PM
yeah I was thinking expanded metal as well I just couldnt think of what I ought to get to still allow flow