PDA

View Full Version : Backup camera or night wheeling rock camera?

KH96XJ
05-30-2012, 09:12 PM
Amazon.com: Koolertron Rear View License Plate Backup CMOS Camera: Car Electronics@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/416iDkWz9KL.@@AMEPARAM@@416iDkWz9KL

I've read the review and it seems that is isn't as waterproof as it claims, but the reviews gave me an idea about the possibility of using it for a rock camera since it has a basic night vision capability so you wouldn't need much light.

The problems I can already see is muddy conditions and placement of the camera to avoid getting mud/dirt thrown up onto the camera. With a power source for the camera and a small screen it could be turned off and on as needed. With the built in "on screen" markers you could know how far away you are from an obstacle. For $13 I picked up two. One is going as a backup camera for my TDI when I get the new pioneer touchscreen head unit in. The other is a replacement if I have an issue with the first. However, I might be tempted to try it out with the jeep if I can find a suitable lcd screen to use. Maybe a portable a/v fold down screen to mount on the roof?

Any other ideas? Just had one that occurred actually was using two cameras with small screens for blind spots if you happen to go doorless driving down the road or trail.

Might be more trouble than its worth and you would need a little better camera w/out the "on screen" markers. If you really wanted to go the extreme. Build a small pc/dvr with a SSD and wire up your jeep to a few cameras with different views and record them all at once while your wheeling. This idea is probably the Wild Turkey's influence though.

Mudderoy
06-01-2012, 10:33 AM
Amazon.com: Koolertron Rear View License Plate Backup CMOS Camera: Car Electronics (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0049LBJ56/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&m=A25BYL6HNZ5MXA)

I've read the review and it seems that is isn't as waterproof as it claims, but the reviews gave me an idea about the possibility of using it for a rock camera since it has a basic night vision capability so you wouldn't need much light.

The problems I can already see is muddy conditions and placement of the camera to avoid getting mud/dirt thrown up onto the camera. With a power source for the camera and a small screen it could be turned off and on as needed. With the built in "on screen" markers you could know how far away you are from an obstacle. For $13 I picked up two. One is going as a backup camera for my TDI when I get the new pioneer touchscreen head unit in. The other is a replacement if I have an issue with the first. However, I might be tempted to try it out with the jeep if I can find a suitable lcd screen to use. Maybe a portable a/v fold down screen to mount on the roof?

Any other ideas? Just had one that occurred actually was using two cameras with small screens for blind spots if you happen to go doorless driving down the road or trail.

Might be more trouble than its worth and you would need a little better camera w/out the "on screen" markers. If you really wanted to go the extreme. Build a small pc/dvr with a SSD and wire up your jeep to a few cameras with different views and record them all at once while your wheeling. This idea is probably the Wild Turkey's influence though.

I see several problems with this being used as a digital spotter.

1. FOV - Field of view, you'd need several of them to get a decent field of view that you would have just looking at it with your own eyes.
One way around this would be having the camera on a pan and tilt base, but then you'd either have to work a joystick or have a way of tracking your head or eye position to move the camera. There is an inexpensive head track system that connects to a PC and works great for flight simulators. IR Track, and I'm sure it could be adapted to be used to control a camera. It's about $170, but you'd also need a PC (laptop probably).

2. Depth perception - You wouldn't have any! I'm sure with practice you could learn how far things were from the camera, but it would be a learning curve. This could probably be solved by using ultrasonics and either show the distance on the screen to the nearest object or perhaps using a increasing/decreasing tone for an audio representation of distance. Probably could do it with the same PC that you were using to control the camera's pan and tilt.

3. Contrast differences - Cameras don't handle differences in contrast as well as our eyes do. You could be in a high contrast difference between say the sky and the rocks and all you'd see is the outlines of the rocks. This would probably mean you'd need a bright light source to help equalize the competing contrasts. Night time with an IR camera would probably be great, since the IR would illuminate the rocks and not the sky. That contrast difference would be great for seeing, unless the IR light was to bright. You may need a way to adjust the IR lighting, again so you can see the obstacle.

4. Damage to equipment - I think you'd be hard pressed to get a set up that you didn't damage from time to time. You need the camera "out there" but you need it protected as well.

Back up camera makes pretty good sense for me since I have the 33" spare tire and 1/2 my view is blocked now.

4.3LXJ
06-01-2012, 11:47 AM
I see several problems with this being used as a digital spotter.

1. FOV - Field of view, you'd need several of them to get a decent field of view that you would have just looking at it with your own eyes.
One way around this would be having the camera on a pan and tilt base, but then you'd either have to work a joystick or have a way of tracking your head or eye position to move the camera. There is an inexpensive head track system that connects to a PC and works great for flight simulators. IR Track, and I'm sure it could be adapted to be used to control a camera. It's about $170, but you'd also need a PC (laptop probably).

2. Depth perception - You wouldn't have any! I'm sure with practice you could learn how far things were from the camera, but it would be a learning curve. This could probably be solved by using ultrasonics and either show the distance on the screen to the nearest object or perhaps using a increasing/decreasing tone for an audio representation of distance. Probably could do it with the same PC that you were using to control the camera's pan and tilt.

3. Contrast differences - Cameras don't handle differences in contrast as well as our eyes do. You could be in a high contrast difference between say the sky and the rocks and all you'd see is the outlines of the rocks. This would probably mean you'd need a bright light source to help equalize the competing contrasts. Night time with an IR camera would probably be great, since the IR would illuminate the rocks and not the sky. That contrast difference would be great for seeing, unless the IR light was to bright. You may need a way to adjust the IR lighting, again so you can see the obstacle.

4. Damage to equipment - I think you'd be hard pressed to get a set up that you didn't damage from time to time. You need the camera "out there" but you need it protected as well.

Back up camera makes pretty good sense for me since I have the 33" spare tire and 1/2 my view is blocked now.

That is why spotting cameras are used for the FOV right in front of the wheels. But as pointed out, they would have an inherent weakness in mud and wet conditions. They are really just an extreme rock crawling thing.

Mudderoy
06-01-2012, 12:15 PM
That is why spotting cameras are used for the FOV right in front of the wheels. But as pointed out, they would have an inherent weakness in mud and wet conditions. They are really just an extreme rock crawling thing.

A cameras in front of the wheels, so at least two cameras? How is it displayed to the driver, two screens, split screen, or a toggle?

4.3LXJ
06-01-2012, 12:36 PM
Not really sure Tony. These guys have tube buggies and I don't wheel with them. I have seen pics in the mags is all

Mudderoy
06-01-2012, 12:40 PM
Not really sure Tony. These guys have tube buggies and I don't wheel with them. I have seen pics in the mags is all

I'll dig around and see what I can find online. Thanks!

4.3LXJ
06-01-2012, 12:41 PM
NAPA had one that was cheap that the locals were using for that purpose. But it wouldn't stand up to the vibes.

KH96XJ
06-02-2012, 06:53 PM
NAPA had one that was cheap that the locals were using for that purpose. But it wouldn't stand up to the vibes.

Did the camera physically fail from the vibes or did they crush it on something?

4.3LXJ
06-02-2012, 06:54 PM
The counter guy told me it was the vibes while I was talking to him about it. He didn't say what specifically. But I put it down and let it go at that.

bluedragon436
06-02-2012, 07:13 PM
I was looking at the ones at Autozone and thought about using it like a rock camera.. But would rather do that using a go pro type, so I can upload the imagery afterwards... Don't think they would hold up to the vibes or the mud and water of wheeling...

4.3LXJ
06-02-2012, 07:48 PM
I really think rock cameras need to be removable if you DD or wheel in the muc.

bluedragon436
06-02-2012, 08:03 PM
I really think rock cameras need to be removable if you DD or wheel in the muc.

I fully agree with that.. Then again not a whole lot of rock options available really around me anyways.. Lol