PDA

View Full Version : So what SHOULD be recalled but WASN'T???

XJ4IV
05-23-2012, 08:31 PM
So I was reading a blurb about my newly purchased 2000 Suburban and found that the ABS control module has a quirk where the relay inside fails and makes the ABS pump stay actuated at ALL times even when the car is OFF and keys are not in the car! I was reading a website where a guy had this issue and he stated that RIGHT next to the pump ... is the fuel filter with plastic fittings having said that he went on to state that his pump STAYED on which cause heating on the pump which in turn caused the fuel filter to explode and take the whole suburban with it... the dealership verified this to be true! chevrolet did NOTHING as far as replacement or reimbursement... Insurance took over but considering this fact it could have EASILY happened while someone was driving it and killed someone!
I checked into this and there is NO recall whatsoever NOR does Chevrolet acknowledge this problem!
on top of all that... the cheapest replacement part I found was 460$ and the install is kinda easy for an experienced person but for the folks not willing to do the work themselves... get flagged for 2 hours of labor!!!
so what kinda of things have YOU seen or experienced that SHOULD have been recalled but never were!

http://www.aboutautomobile.com/Complaint/2001/Chevrolet/Suburban+1500/ABS+Control+Module

cantab27
05-23-2012, 09:47 PM
all the red jeeps

xj4life2
05-23-2012, 09:53 PM
The Renix system used on XJ's, the fedral goverment actually stepped in and made a manditory lifetime replacement on the abs system. but it should have been recalled and replaced.

Oh and all Barbie Jeeps lol lol especially the ones with v8's and live in NZ lol lol

XJ4IV
05-23-2012, 09:53 PM
all the red jeeps

OUCH that was below the belt!

Carves
05-23-2012, 09:58 PM
all the red jeeps

Not off the meds yet huh ??

I can see you took your, silly pills, this morning ... :p .. :D

RHD XJs ... for their bodgy cooling system ....arse about fan locations, tranny oil, heat transfer in the hot side of the radiator, tranny cooler the size of power steering cooler.

One of the late 80's or early 90's diesel landcruiser models that quite a few people found ... liked to throw a rod.

.... and a whole bunch more brands & models that have annoyed me over the years ... :rotfl2:

xjrev10
05-23-2012, 11:04 PM
All V6 XJ/MJs!

XJMJeep
05-24-2012, 12:19 AM
All V6 XJ/MJs!

100% agree
AMC designer: Let's build a great off and on road vehicle
AMC executive: Let's save money by using the crappiest engine GM ever build

Cheromaniac
05-28-2012, 12:02 PM
All '00-'01 4.0L Jeeps should have been recalled to have their crack-prone #0331 cylinder heads replaced with later reinforced castings that have TUPY stamped on the top.

xjrev10
05-29-2012, 04:02 PM
All '00-'01 4.0L Jeeps should have been recalled to have their crack-prone #0331 cylinder heads replaced with later reinforced castings that have TUPY stamped on the top.

This happens alot less in the real world. On forums it's all over, cuz most folks post about it like crazy and that is a tiny percentage of the 00-01 XJs out there.

EekGirl96
05-29-2012, 04:06 PM
All Grand Cherokee's....other than personally hating them they are prone to have their trannys go out on them(everyone I've ever known that has owned one has always had tranny problems).

xj4life2
05-29-2012, 04:27 PM
All Grand Cherokee's....other than personally hating them they are prone to have their trannys go out on them(everyone I've ever known that has owned one has always had tranny problems).

but then how would all the city folk get to the snow ???

EekGirl96
05-29-2012, 04:29 PM
but then how would all the city folk get to the snow ???

Lol,...thats why they all get XJ's...solves everyones problem :)

Mudderoy
05-29-2012, 04:40 PM
Any vehicle with the JEEP logo that isn't a 4x4, and has a front axle. No IFS doesn't count. :poke:

xjrev10
05-29-2012, 04:51 PM
Any vehicle with the JEEP logo that isn't a 4x4, and has a front axle. No IFS doesn't count. :poke:

Highly disagree! I love my 2wd MJs! Great DDs! 20-23 mpg!

nickxj94
05-29-2012, 09:02 PM

X2! Especially the 4.7 liter engines wjs! They are junk

Mudderoy
05-29-2012, 10:08 PM
Highly disagree! I love my 2wd MJs! Great DDs! 20-23 mpg!

lol, okay, you have me there. I'll concede the MJ's in all forms. :timeout:

bigjim350
05-29-2012, 11:23 PM
This thread started out all right, but has turned into something I'd expect to read on CF. Try not to bash too much on jeeps that might be owned by people that visit the site, wouldnt make em feel very welcomed.....

cantab27
05-29-2012, 11:27 PM
shit someone has logged on as jimbo....

good point fella....................

Carves
05-29-2012, 11:55 PM
This thread started out all right, but has turned into something I'd expect to read on CF. Try not to bash too much on jeeps that might be owned by people that visit the site, wouldnt make em feel very welcomed.....

Too right ....

Especially the insulting of red jeeps which is needlessly, callous, vindictive .... and deeply offending ... and moderaters should be more active in dealing with it.

My poor l'il red wagon cries a little - every time cantab logs on xjTalk ... :p

grrrrrrr ..... those dastardly, green ... or funny blue ... jeep owners ... Off with their heads, I say .... :D:D

But yeah ... as bigjim says ... Its more about design issues that could have been improved ... rather than personal preferences for models.

Unlike some brands & models tho ... there doesnt seem to be any major XJ, safety issues that required recalls that Im aware of .... so thats probably a plus :thumbsup:

Mudderoy
05-30-2012, 06:16 AM
shit someone has logged on as jimbo....

good point fella....................

lol

xj4life2
05-30-2012, 10:22 AM
I can understand Jim's concern but, I think its all in good fun. Working in the industry I hear this everyday,Jeep vs Toyota , Zuks vs Scouts etc etc and you should here what they say about my Bronco :) . But comparing this to a CF thread ? now thats just wrong.

Mudderoy
05-30-2012, 10:35 AM
I can understand Jim's concern but, I think its all in good fun. Working in the industry I hear this everyday,Jeep vs Toyota , Zuks vs Scouts etc etc and you should here what they say about my Bronco :) . But comparing this to a CF thread ? now thats just wrong.

Actually Jim is just saying some of the same things I say "behind the scenes" to the staff. It is important that we try to express our opinions and be fair in what we say. I don't dislike the Jeeps with IFS and two wheel drive, but in my opinion they shouldn't be called Jeeps.

xj4life2
05-30-2012, 10:40 AM
Actually Jim is just saying some of the same things I say "behind the scenes" to the staff. It is important that we try to express our opinions and be fair in what we say. I don't dislike the Jeeps with IFS and two wheel drive, but in my opinion they shouldn't be called Jeeps.

I agree my point was simply that in my opinion this "type" of "bashing" is publicly accepted and more of a testosterone outlet than done in harm. As far as the 2wd and IFS.... the military would be sad not to call them Jeeps as most of the base operated Jeeps were two wheel drive and without them our service men would not have gotten there mail. And the IFS Jeeps played a very important part in the war effort. Lastly with out the 2wd Surry what would Tattoo on the Love Boat drove :)

EekGirl96
05-30-2012, 11:04 AM
lol this thread is pretty entertaining

OrangeXJ
05-30-2012, 11:17 AM
I agree my point was simply that in my opinion this "type" of "bashing" is publicly accepted and more of a testosterone outlet than done in harm. As far as the 2wd and IFS.... the military would be sad not to call them Jeeps as most of the base operated Jeeps were two wheel drive and without them our service men would not have gotten there mail. And the IFS Jeeps played a very important part in the war effort. Lastly with out the 2wd Surry what would Tattoo on the Love Boat drove :)

Fantisy Island

xjrev10
05-30-2012, 11:33 AM
Door Hinges!

4.3LXJ
05-30-2012, 11:47 AM

Aw, come on, I drive a military "Jeep" with IFS and come to think of it IRS too :smiley-taunt013:

http://youtu.be/LbBLbtVNK3k

http://youtu.be/aKITEXsSYZw

XJ Wheeler
05-30-2012, 10:14 PM
The fiberglass liftgates on the '84-'96 XJs.

cantab27
05-30-2012, 10:38 PM

whys that...good thing i thought ..nice and light...tis all about weight when wheeling...........:thumbsup:

XJ Wheeler
05-31-2012, 01:13 AM
whys that...good thing i thought ..nice and light...tis all about weight when wheeling...........:thumbsup:

They are prone to cracking around the window, i know mine is.:(

cantab27
05-31-2012, 02:14 AM
They are prone to cracking around the window, i know mine is.:(

aw didnt know that...thanks;)

XJ4IV
06-04-2012, 08:32 PM

if it werent for that one single thing ... my jeep would be sanded down to bare metal and clear coated
delorean look!

4.3LXJ
06-04-2012, 09:46 PM
if it werent for that one single thing ... my jeep would be sanded down to bare metal and clear coated
delorean look!

AW, just paint the glass silver :p