PDA

View Full Version : Not the XJ, but the wife's Patriot

Brasscatz
05-21-2012, 08:01 PM
Hope you guys don't mind tossing some knowledge out on a non-XJ Jeep... Please move to the correct forum if there is one ;)

My wife's Patriot is a 2008 and the a/c seems to be acting up. I need to get in there and actually look at the compressor to see if the clutch is engaging, but we'll have it on full blast and it won't be cold for a long time... like several miles. Once it kicks in, it's perfect. I'm thinking maybe the clutch isn't engaging for a while, or maybe the relay could be going out. Any other suggestions?

I wouldn't think the 134a is low because it does eventually get really cold. Am I wrong on that?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

4.3LXJ
05-21-2012, 09:24 PM
It is possible it is a little low. Is it cold, then warm then cold?

Brasscatz
05-21-2012, 09:41 PM
It is possible it is a little low. Is it cold, then warm then cold?

Nope, once it's cold, it stays cold. It's fairly confusing to me :banghead:

4.3LXJ
05-21-2012, 10:11 PM
Well, better see what the compressor is doing then

Brasscatz
05-21-2012, 10:49 PM
Went out to check... compressor working is properly, but the air was cold too. I'm going to have to wait until the silly thing acts up again before I can verify the compressor.

msmoorenburg
05-22-2012, 06:51 AM
I'd put some money on it being low or the low pressure switch is acting up.

cpttuna
05-22-2012, 02:22 PM
Buy the can at WalMart that has the gage with it for about $15.00. Give it a shot and see what it reads.

Brasscatz
05-22-2012, 06:54 PM
Thanks for the replies guys.

I had her check it this morning on her way to work. Blew warm when first started, checked compressor before she left the garage.... working. She said it took about 15 minutes to get cold.

I'm not sure what the pressure switch is, Matt. After this new update, which are you leaning towards?

msmoorenburg
05-22-2012, 07:27 PM
Thanks for the replies guys.

I had her check it this morning on her way to work. Blew warm when first started, checked compressor before she left the garage.... working. She said it took about 15 minutes to get cold.

I'm not sure what the pressure switch is, Matt. After this new update, which are you leaning towards?

You willing to make a road trip sat to the shop? I can give it a once over.

Brasscatz
05-22-2012, 08:41 PM
You willing to make a road trip sat to the shop? I can give it a once over.

We have possible plans this Saturday, are you going to be up there already, or make a special trip? I'll definitely let you know, thanks for that offer!

Oh, and the cash I had saved up for the ZJ tie rods and lift had to go to buy medical equip for the wife's ankle. It'll probably only take me a few weeks to recover those funds. How's your schedule in the next few weeks on the weekends looking? And ever since Jim and I put that new tranny mount in, I'm getting a bad vibe at a complete stop... have to put it in neutral :confused:. Feels like something moving underneath... motor mounts? Flex plate causing vibes? I should probably make a new thread for that issue, huh?

msmoorenburg
05-22-2012, 08:47 PM
We have possible plans this Saturday, are you going to be up there already, or make a special trip? I'll definitely let you know, thanks for that offer!

Oh, and the cash I had saved up for the ZJ tie rods and lift had to go to buy medical equip for the wife's ankle. It'll probably only take me a few weeks to recover those funds. How's your schedule in the next few weeks on the weekends looking? And ever since Jim and I put that new tranny mount in, I'm getting a bad vibe at a complete stop... have to put it in neutral :confused:. Feels like something moving underneath... motor mounts? Flex plate causing vibes? I should probably make a new thread for that issue, huh?

Pm me i'm sure we can come up with a time, I have been carrying my a/c junk around for 2 weeks now for other folks that have a/c issues i'm also off Monday

Brasscatz
05-22-2012, 08:51 PM
Good deal, Thanks Matt!