PDA

View Full Version : Best Mechanics Tool Set

Kimber6331
05-20-2012, 08:06 AM
Just trying to get some of your opinions on the best tool set to buy for auto mechanics. I was looking into a craftsman 260 piece tool set, it seemed pretty good for an amatuer mechanic. Anybody have that? Any other brands you guys like? I have heard good things about snap-on and kobalt. .

http://s.shld.net/is/image/Sears/00936260000-1?hei=600&wid=600&op_sharpen=1&qlt=90,0&resMode=sharp&op_usm=0.9,0.5,0,0

nickxj94
05-20-2012, 09:55 AM
I bought the craftsman set I. Like it and they hold up just as good as snap on or matco. cobolt tools are Great I want the big stainless box with the stereo and ice box in it!

Sent from my LG-LW690 using Tapatalk 2

4.3LXJ
05-20-2012, 09:56 AM
That is a good starter set. I carry about that much with me when wheeling, plus a 2# hammer and screwdrivers. I like Craftsman tools because they have reasonable quality and price and the guarantee is excellent. You can get a new one even if the chrome is chipped, or in my case going through a shop fire. Also, many NAPA stores will honor the warranty since the NAPA tools and Craftsman are made in the same factory.

xj4life2
05-20-2012, 10:48 AM
Napa , Mac Kobalt, are all to pricey for what you get . I would stick with the Craftsman, good quality reasonably priced and lifetime replacement, Good tip on Napa Steve most don't know that , also Kmart is Craftsman and of course Sears. I do of course have some other brands in my tool box 'cus ya just can't always get to the store you need to. So start with the starter set and add as you need , before you know it you'll have hundreds of dollars in tools you may only use once or twice ........lol lol

PS I would highly recomend a set of racheting box ends , they are invalueable on my opinion.

Kimber6331
05-20-2012, 02:59 PM
The lifetime warranty is a great deal! I just purchased this set from Sears about 2 hours ago and I have already been putting them to work checking my track bar, control arm bushings, washers, and sway bar & links. They definitely are quality tools. Im happy with them. Thanks for the tip about NAPA that's great. And nickxj94 that box sounds like fun! how many dos equis can you fit in there? :) thats definitely on the list. I think my next investment in the tool category will be a 3ton/high rise floor jack tho. Using the stock jack takes forever. what jacks do you guys prefer? especially with a higher lift

4.3LXJ
05-20-2012, 03:03 PM
When you get those ratchet wrenches, check out the Gear Wrench. They have a finer tooth count on the ratchet and are sold by Sears and NAPA. They have the same lifetime warranty.

On the Jack, I use the Craftsman aluminum floor jack. So much nicer than the steel one I have and well worth the money. Get the extra heavy car stands, they are taller and suitable for suspension work on the XJ

Kimber6331
05-20-2012, 03:14 PM
That's actually what one of the Sears employees mentioned. Ill have to go back and get some. I have to leave immediately after a purchase at stores like that or else I will keep finding something I "need" until I go broke. As far as the jacks, I already made the mistake of buying 3ton normal jacks last year instead of the high/SUV models. Of course, that was all they had on the shelf, so i assumed that was all they had in the store. Go me. . .
With the aluminum jack, does it lift your rig high enough for most purposes? would you be good to go with 2ton?

ssandy
05-20-2012, 05:15 PM
blue point is a good one kinda pricey tho in the set my dad has its got 10 to 19 and 3/8 to either 3/4 or 7/8 and then 3/8 drive socket set with a 6in and 3in extensions dykes , pliers and a crescent wrench

Carves
05-20-2012, 06:35 PM
Except for that overpriced SnapOn brand ... I dont have a clue what you fellas are talking about ... :D

However .... X 2 on a medium to good quality tool kit for general knocking about ... lifetime warranty is a bonus. :thumbsup:

If you need breaker bars or have a coupla spanners/sockets in regular ... and sometimes overloaded :o ... use .... Buy those particular items as extras from a high quality, bling brand.

... and theres nothing worse than not being able to use a socket, coz the el cheapo ratchet dont ratchet no more ... :mad:

bluedragon436
05-21-2012, 10:34 AM
I have the Kobalt version of that setup... and have used it quite a bit... The only issues I had was my ratchet got ran over by my XJ on a rock, and then it slid down into the sand and got mashed in with the rear tires.. so needless to say it wasn't working so well with the sand smashed in it, and being slid down the side of a rock with my front tires on it.. Stopped by my local Lowes to pick up a ratchet to put my kit back together and the tool chick that is starting to get to know me way too well (been in to look at and purchase tools way too many times.. I will pick up a new bigger tool box).. asks why I need another ratchet, I told her what happened she asked if I had it with me, and I told her I did, she replaced it under warranty no questions asked... was pretty surprised with that... Apparently their warranty is getting to be just about the same as Craftsmen... I was looking at that Craftsman setup that you posted there, until I was able to pick mine up on a really good deal during Black Friday sale... well almost five days after it anyways.. but they forgot to change the advertised price on the sign in the store.. lol!!

xj4life2
05-23-2012, 09:47 PM
That's actually what one of the Sears employees mentioned. Ill have to go back and get some. I have to leave immediately after a purchase at stores like that or else I will keep finding something I "need" until I go broke. As far as the jacks, I already made the mistake of buying 3ton normal jacks last year instead of the high/SUV models. Of course, that was all they had on the shelf, so i assumed that was all they had in the store. Go me. . .
With the aluminum jack, does it lift your rig high enough for most purposes? would you be good to go with 2ton?

ok , I'm assuming that by jack you mean jack stand, that being said what I have done is welded my stands into old steel rims , this will give you more than enough height for anything you need as for the jack itself look for a extra tall the are available and have a higher reach.And yes 2 ton is fine.
PS for the extras like stands, jacks ect ect look at yard sales , also harbor freight is another great place if there is one local to you.

cantab27
05-24-2012, 12:21 AM
tis all that is needed to fix things....

http://i469.photobucket.com/albums/rr52/cantab27/Image0136.jpg