PDA

View Full Version : Less than smooth

willtodo
05-18-2012, 09:07 PM
Well I know its a jeep,,, and i dont expect it ride like a getto cruzer,, Is there any tricks to gettin a better ride out of my lifted rig,, I installed the supplied shocks that came with the 6.5 RC lift,,, I ask the RC rep if i should upgrade shocks and he asured me that they were good for the application. Im not out to spend unecissary cash but if a good set of shocks would make a noticable differance id doit

XJ4IV
05-18-2012, 09:25 PM
I run procomp es9000 and they run about 35 each... Im satisfied with them... I have heard MANY folks say that the rough country lives up to its name... a VERY rough ride!

4.3LXJ
05-18-2012, 09:41 PM
Shock ratios is the key. You might check the Rancho 9000 series. You are looking for a shock ratio that is 10% on compression and 90% on extension. Shocks like the RC and Rancho 5000 that have a 50/50 ratio will corner well but ride rough with increased spring rates in a lift kit. I personally use Monroe Gas Magnums. I had to modify one end to get them to bolt up. I have about 100K on them now and starting to feel the tar strips, but the big bumps are still good. I have been on long rough off road trips with them too.

Bilsteins and Old Man Emu have good reputations for smooth rides also and will bolt in.

Carves
05-18-2012, 09:59 PM
I've got a fairly hard ride in my 2" lift ... until its full of tools & firewood ... and sagged to 1" lift height :o

In my case ... Its predominantly the spring rate and leaf thickness.

Im also running JK 4dr rr shockies ... which may not have the best dampening action for the leaf springs.

Despite the harshness however ... its way more surefooted than the factory suspension ever was ... I can finally go round a washboard road corner, as fast as a toyota ... :D

willtodo
05-18-2012, 10:30 PM
I mentioned to the rep that i figured they would put the low end shock with the kit , but he once agine asured me that wasnt the case,,,they are the n 2.0,, i dont even see them listed on there site for sell individualy,,, so u know there bound to be crap,,, thanks for the input

Mudderoy
05-23-2012, 10:29 AM
Shock ratios is the key. You might check the Rancho 9000 series. You are looking for a shock ratio that is 10% on compression and 90% on extension. Shocks like the RC and Rancho 5000 that have a 50/50 ratio will corner well but ride rough with increased spring rates in a lift kit. I personally use Monroe Gas Magnums. I had to modify one end to get them to bolt up. I have about 100K on them now and starting to feel the tar strips, but the big bumps are still good. I have been on long rough off road trips with them too.

Bilsteins and Old Man Emu have good reputations for smooth rides also and will bolt in.

My Jeep corners nicely!

willtodo
05-23-2012, 10:21 PM
now that i got the caster right and a few miles in the suspention its meloing out pretty good

nickxj94
05-23-2012, 11:00 PM
I got RC shocks mine rides good