PDA

View Full Version : Wondering if the Torque converter could be my issue...

TeXJ
05-18-2012, 11:06 AM
http://www.jpmagazine.com/techarticles/drivetrain/154_1205_xj_torque_converter_swap_for_mileage_and_ power/index.html

So when I first start my jeep up and put it in reverse, there is nothing there it just coasts downt he driveway. When it warms up just a lil it runs just fine. I do get codes every now and then and they indicate the tranny is at fault.

any thoughts on the article?

Mudderoy
05-18-2012, 11:11 AM
http://www.jpmagazine.com/techarticles/drivetrain/154_1205_xj_torque_converter_swap_for_mileage_and_ power/index.html

So when I first start my jeep up and put it in reverse, there is nothing there it just coasts downt he driveway. When it warms up just a lil it runs just fine. I do get codes every now and then and they indicate the tranny is at fault.

any thoughts on the article?

I find it interesting that a change in torque converter and an obvious change in how quickly the Jeep gets moving with the new one didn't change the mpg.

Personally I think they were damn lucky that the torque converter solved their issue. I bet there is a transmission rebuild in the near future though.

I need to get my tranny cooler installed in mine. Actually need to do it soon as summer is just around the corner. It's 89 right now!!!!

4.3LXJ
05-18-2012, 11:16 AM
I found it interesting. But I don't think your problem is the torque converter. Reverse takes more fluid to make it work, that is the number of planetaries being used. That is why it is so slow to engage when shifted. Check your fluid levels if you haven't already. It might be telling you it needs servicing and fluid change.

Mudderoy
05-18-2012, 11:22 AM
Yeah I really don't know but I think you have a transmission issue.

TeXJ
05-18-2012, 11:33 AM
i kind of thought i have the tranny issues as well, but thought this would be a cheaper fix. Other than the slow uptake on the reverse nothing is really wrong with the tranny... oh yeah it does seem to not want to engage the torque converter when im on the highway, on rare ocassions(sp).

on a side note: i hate my companies internet....

Brasscatz
05-18-2012, 12:05 PM
I have the exact same problem from time to time. I'll put it in reverse, and I might as well have put it in neutral. Sometimes it has SOME power, but it only happens once in a while. I was told that my TCM might be the problem. I've checked all fluids and there's only 20k miles on this tranny. Could be your problem too.

TeXJ
05-18-2012, 12:42 PM
yeah my fluid level is spot on.

XJ4IV
05-18-2012, 05:42 PM
Donovan, mine has done that since I was at your house last year... I figured it was just the transmission going out... one thing I did that helped out was "seafoam transtune" it helped out a little but one thing I did that helped out some in the initial shifting is cleaning the solenoids out... kinda a lengthy process but still a very easy process! drop the trans pan remove each solenoid one at a time and clean it with brakleen then charge the solenoid to open it(apply 12v to it) be very carefull as brakleen is more flammable than gas is ! once you have cleaned the first solenoid put it back in place and carry on to the other ones! then zsince you have the pan down ANYhow replace the trans filter too!

TeXJ
05-18-2012, 11:53 PM
When I had my front trans gasket changed i had randy, blackmud, change my filter as well, and give it a once over. but I probably should do that.