PDA

View Full Version : LS1 motor swap

Metlic53
05-17-2012, 04:34 PM
Ive found a few ls1's I could pickup for pretty cheap, my 4.0 is getting kinda too slow for my highway use and for the price of stroking it to the max 5.0 would cost as much as a v8 and i can upgrade a v8 more. Yes ill be strengthening the entire unibody. anyone know of any places that do engine swaps/installations in Houston? I can do it but id rather pay a shop to do it since I'm so busy. If anyone knows of a place let me know thanks.

msmoorenburg
05-17-2012, 10:17 PM
Eric knows his stuff no questions asked

http://www.texasperformanceconcepts.com/

TeXJ
05-18-2012, 11:27 AM
Wouldnt a swap like this be in the $10k range minus motor/trans?

I would think that if you went with a motor swap that a trans/tcase swap would probably be on the list as well.

Mudderoy
05-18-2012, 12:40 PM
Ive found a few ls1's I could pickup for pretty cheap, my 4.0 is getting kinda too slow for my highway use and for the price of stroking it to the max 5.0 would cost as much as a v8 and i can upgrade a v8 more. Yes ill be strengthening the entire unibody. anyone know of any places that do engine swaps/installations in Houston? I can do it but id rather pay a shop to do it since I'm so busy. If anyone knows of a place let me know thanks.

It's been about a year I guess, but mine will do 95 mph. Driving 70 to 80 mph isn't an issue with a 179k mile 4.0l engine. Not sure what issue you're having.

4.3LXJ
05-18-2012, 02:00 PM
When was the last time you changed the O2 sensor. That would affect speed through a less than optimal fuel/air ratio.

Metlic53
05-18-2012, 02:45 PM
Eric knows his stuff no questions

thanks i'll check him out

http://www.texasperformanceconcepts.com/

Wouldnt a swap like this be in the $10k range minus motor/trans?

I would think that if you went with a motor swap that a trans/tcase swap would probably be on the list as well.

doubt it would be in the 10k range, i wouldn't mind spending 5k on it, ive found a few motors for 2-2500 and ive got a 4l60e tranny sitting in the garage. ive just priced doing a stroker motor and it probably wouldnt give me the power i want for the price. Their about the same price for the 5.0 stroke or just putting a supercharger would cost me 4k. i pull a small trailer with 32's and 3.55 gears, huge bumpers, winch, full size spare and it can barely do 70 on the highway, id rather not change out the gears. i get 10mpg maybe.

It's been about a year I guess, but mine will do 95 mph. Driving 70 to 80 mph isn't an issue with a 179k mile 4.0l engine. Not sure what issue you're having.

mine is just slow, i can keep up with traffic if i floor it everywhere and it downshifts constantly, mine will do 100 mph, but it takes about two miles to achieve that constantly holding it to the floor. I just want something unique and can cruise 80 pulling a trailer with no problems, without buying a truck, i want my jeep to do that, plus i want it to be able to outrun alot of stuff that comes up to me.

When was the last time you changed the O2 sensor. That would affect speed through a less than optimal fuel/air ratio.

o2 sensors were replaced a year ago, new exhaust all the way through, header too. shes just tired, just hit 179k miles and i do a ton of city driving and have to almost floor it with the a/c going to keep up with traffic from stop to stop. my dad has a 02 camaro with the LS1 and hes very knowledgable on that motor, im sure we could make it work, he gets almost 20mpg on his car, so im sure i would get 15 or better on mine. i drive to galveston alot and it feels like im hurting the motor flooring it to keep it at 70. i have a few vehicles so this one being down for awhile wouldn't bother me, i just want something unique ya know? :D

cantab27
05-18-2012, 02:50 PM
v8 in a xj.............do it man......love the 8 in my tj........bit of lite reading for yall

http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/xj_swap.htm

4.3LXJ
05-18-2012, 03:58 PM
Be aware that the AW4 is a different animal from the 4L60E or 4L80E whichever is in the Camaro. The Chevy tranny has a very deep overdrive for milage, 28% vs 14% and a stall converter, the least of which is 1700 rpm for getting off the line quick.

XJ4IV
05-18-2012, 08:33 PM
advanced adapters... or novak would be a site of MAJOR research for mating the ls motor to an AW4 transmission... but just a FYI putting the big ass motor in that means everything is moving such as the trans moves back about 2 inches therefore the t-case does... which means custom cross member... which ALSO means custom driveshaft and also... your putting 300+ HP on a dana 35 or a 8.25... thats kinda iffy at the least... Id stick with either a full rebuild like MSMoorenburg has done and do some internal tweaks like a cam and obviously might consider the stroking aspect... all of this would STILL come out more than 50% cheaper than a LS1 swap... or instead just rebuild with stronger pistons and rods and put a supercharger on it! STILL cheaper than a v8 swap!

4.3LXJ
05-18-2012, 09:34 PM
Like Scott says, the work adds up. The tranny has to be moved forward, so not only crossmember, but tcase linkage must be customized, along with drivelines and one thing not addressed so far, a custom radiator and fans is a must. Don't even think that stocker will cool it. Ask me how I know

cantab27
05-18-2012, 11:41 PM
na do the v8............................

Metlic53
05-19-2012, 01:23 AM
advanced adapters... or novak would be a site of MAJOR research for mating the ls motor to an AW4 transmission... but just a FYI putting the big ass motor in that means everything is moving such as the trans moves back about 2 inches therefore the t-case does... which means custom cross member... which ALSO means custom driveshaft and also... your putting 300+ HP on a dana 35 or a 8.25... thats kinda iffy at the least... Id stick with either a full rebuild like MSMoorenburg has done and do some internal tweaks like a cam and obviously might consider the stroking aspect... all of this would STILL come out more than 50% cheaper than a LS1 swap... or instead just rebuild with stronger pistons and rods and put a supercharger on it! STILL cheaper than a v8 swap!

She has a Dana 44 :) and a supercharger is like right at 3 grand, kinda high for not much gain don't you think? Also, why would the tranny be moved back? I saw one with a LT1 Without all the custom stuff...hmmm I'll research, I just don't want to stroke or supercharge and still want more power

bigjim350
05-19-2012, 01:27 AM
Nah its a simple swap. All you need is:LS rad from novak for xj, LS motor mounts from novak, LS motor, Harness/ECM, Trans(don't even think about using the AW4), adapter from trans to tcase, custom trans crossmember, custom driveshafts, upgrade axles to atleast D44's, lots of mods to fuel system, custom gauges, custom exhaust and headers. Then your done, should take about a day :D. Although I dont think it would cost anywhere near $10k including motor and trans if you did it yourself. Now having a shop do it might cost that much.

cantab27
05-19-2012, 01:29 AM
cant be that hard ,,,theres a few down here and running around in aussie

KH96XJ
05-19-2012, 11:26 PM
doubt it would be in the 10k range, i wouldn't mind spending 5k on it, ive found a few motors for 2-2500 and ive got a 4l60e tranny sitting in the garage. ive just priced doing a stroker motor and it probably wouldnt give me the power i want for the price. Their about the same price for the 5.0 stroke or just putting a supercharger would cost me 4k. i pull a small trailer with 32's and 3.55 gears, huge bumpers, winch, full size spare and it can barely do 70 on the highway, id rather not change out the gears. i get 10mpg maybe.

mine is just slow, i can keep up with traffic if i floor it everywhere and it downshifts constantly, mine will do 100 mph, but it takes about two miles to achieve that constantly holding it to the floor. I just want something unique and can cruise 80 pulling a trailer with no problems, without buying a truck, i want my jeep to do that, plus i want it to be able to outrun alot of stuff that comes up to me.

o2 sensors were replaced a year ago, new exhaust all the way through, header too. shes just tired, just hit 179k miles and i do a ton of city driving and have to almost floor it with the a/c going to keep up with traffic from stop to stop. my dad has a 02 camaro with the LS1 and hes very knowledgable on that motor, im sure we could make it work, he gets almost 20mpg on his car, so im sure i would get 15 or better on mine. i drive to galveston alot and it feels like im hurting the motor flooring it to keep it at 70. i have a few vehicles so this one being down for awhile wouldn't bother me, i just want something unique ya know? :D

Just owning an XJ is unique in itself.

In my opnion I feel your problems would be alleviated with a regear of the axles to 4.11 or 4.56. It will be much cheaper and you could even get a locker put in the front/back and get chromolly axles for the cost of the LS1. Plus I bet you would see an improvement in you mileage since your motor wouldn't be working so hard to get it up to speed in city driving/hwy. Your mileage will only be as good as how you operate the gas pedal anyway.

You really want to be unique, go diesel.

TeXJ
05-19-2012, 11:32 PM
Just owning an XJ is unique in itself.

In my opnion I feel your problems would be alleviated with a regear of the axles to 4.11 or 4.56. It will be much cheaper and you could even get a locker put in the front/back and get chromolly axles for the cost of the LS1. Plus I bet you would see an improvement in you mileage since your motor wouldn't be working so hard to get it up to speed in city driving/hwy. Your mileage will only be as good as how you operate the gas pedal anyway.

You really want to be unique, go diesel.
THIS!

XJ Wheeler
05-20-2012, 03:47 AM
Diesel would be more cool but i would imagine a lot more expensive. There's no parts for the conversion and everybody wants an a few arms and legs for diesels. Plus just normal repairs are gonna be pricey in themselves. Would be awesome though.

Carves
05-20-2012, 08:13 PM
Theres been a coupla LS1 swaps done down here.

Personally I dont see the value in it ... but hey ... it would make an interesting project and sound nice :D

Somebody was doing a toyota version too but I dont remember whether he finished it.

Diff ratios may well be an easier option. ;)

As for diesel conversion / parts ... how many do you want ???? ... :D

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1999-JEEP-CHEROKEE-XJ-2-5-TD-ENGINE-/330704469336?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4cff85bd58

Busted ones are a dime a dozen down here ..... Good little motor unless they got treated rough and the individual heads started warping.

Seems most people thought ... hmmm .... jeeps are tough - and it has a diesel motor :thumbsup:

... and then drove it like it was a toyota landcruiser :bang: .. :rolleyes:

4.3LXJ
05-20-2012, 08:54 PM
Personally I am not a fan of diesel for an off road rig. Too much weight and too little rpm range for the changing conditions of the terrain and the demand placed on the engine. If you put a diesel next to comparable horsepower in a gas engine and do a challenging off road race, the gasser will take it just about every time. If that wasn't the case, there would be lots of diesels in the King of the Hammers race. But if you are looking at a DD grocery getter, then it makes sense.

KH96XJ
05-20-2012, 10:18 PM
Personally I am not a fan of diesel for an off road rig. Too much weight and too little rpm range for the changing conditions of the terrain and the demand placed on the engine. If you put a diesel next to comparable horsepower in a gas engine and do a challenging off road race, the gasser will take it just about every time. If that wasn't the case, there would be lots of diesels in the King of the Hammers race. But if you are looking at a DD grocery getter, then it makes sense.

VW has had some success in the Dakar with their TDI engines, but thats a rally/baja style race and not rock climbing, but still a challenging race none the less.

I think many stick with the gas engines because they are easier to work on, get parts for, have more aftermarket support, and I still feel the U.S. has some irrational dislike of small diesel engines or the auto makers aren't willing to give us that option.

But going back to gas, what is the cost difference between an LS1 and a Hemi swap? I know a local shop that has done several Hemi swaps into TJ/JK's and one XJ at least.

4.3LXJ
05-20-2012, 10:32 PM
A lot. Just the cost of the engine is plenty.

cantab27
05-21-2012, 12:10 AM
v8 v8 v8 v8 v8 v8 v8 v8 IT.........................

TeXJ
05-21-2012, 09:17 AM
v8 v8 v8 v8 v8 v8 v8 v8 IT.........................

:confused: im not following you, what are you wanting him to do?

:D

Metlic53
05-29-2012, 10:07 AM
i'll keep yall posted when i get parts gathered, i found a nice built 4l60E im probably going to get, still debating on a few motors. pics to come :D

bluedragon436
05-29-2012, 10:23 AM
A HEMI swap would be nice due to it being a Mopar engine going into a "Mopar" Jeep... But they are hell of expensive unless you happen to find a kick ass deal in a JY... I was looking at picking up a FSJ truck from a friend of mine that just wanted to get it out of his yard... and thought about doing a HEMI swap into it... but those engines are not at all cheap.. so figured if I ever did it, it would probably be a 5.2 or 5.9 out of an older Ram or something... Another semi cheap V8 swap you could look into is the Toyota/Lexus V8's.. alot of people are starting to use them for swaps as they are pretty good on torque and HP and are fairly cheap to pick up in the JY, as they are in many different vehicles...

EekGirl96
05-29-2012, 11:00 AM
I second the diesel swap...I would do that to my XJ if she was a straight offroad rig and if I had money lol

bluedragon436
05-29-2012, 11:10 AM
If I had the money I would def. do a diesel swap... There was a shop that is doing them to all models of the wranglers... and were looking to see what the interest would be for a kit for the XJ's... I filled that out in a heartbeat... in hopes that one day it will pick up and there will be a kit put out for the XJ's...

EekGirl96
05-29-2012, 11:15 AM
If I had the money I would def. do a diesel swap... There was a shop that is doing them to all models of the wranglers... and were looking to see what the interest would be for a kit for the XJ's... I filled that out in a heartbeat... in hopes that one day it will pick up and there will be a kit put out for the XJ's...

Yeah I know theres a kit for it but how difficult would it be to do the swap? Ever since I heard that there was a kit ive been deciding whether i should save up and do the swap or not

TeXJ
05-29-2012, 02:08 PM
ya know, the chrysler motors suck. I dont like any of them. Id stick with a sbc/f or a LSx. The LSx is better due to the weight savings, and plus you can really turn up the HP if wanted.

Metlic53
05-29-2012, 11:38 PM
i will most definately not put in a hemi or any chrysler v8 in my jeep, i do not like them at all, or a toyota or lexus motor lol, im a chevy guy and the LS1 is pretty much indestructable, the LSx is nice but expensive, i'm still shopping around, i'll keep ya'll updated. diesel is out of the question, it would be cool to do but i want horsepower and i don't want to pay for the diesel fuel price, i don't offroad this jeep anymore, i have two other XJ's i do that too.

default83
05-30-2012, 07:03 AM
there is a guy that was in my 4wd club that did an LS1 swap in his TJ, i beleive he said it cost somewhere around 7-8k for everything. ill try to get his email address for you, he might have some tips on what you need and dont need.

Mudderoy
05-30-2012, 08:38 AM
there is a guy that was in my 4wd club that did an LS1 swap in his TJ, i beleive he said it cost somewhere around 7-8k for everything. ill try to get his email address for you, he might have some tips on what you need and dont need.

How does he like it? Any regrets?

TeXJ
05-30-2012, 09:23 AM
LSx is not just the ls1-9, the LQ9 6L and the 5.3, truck motor, are also really good candidates. On I believe NAXJA there is a LONNNNGGG thread of a guy putting a 5.3 into his XJ. Pretty cool if ya ask me. 5.3s are much cheaper and more plentiful.

default83
05-31-2012, 08:13 AM
How does he like it? Any regrets?

from what ive heard he loves it, but the LS1 is a very small addition to his rig, his deal is like almost a show jeep. i have a pic of it somewhere, but anyway yeah the LS1 looks and sounds really good in it.

Metlic53
06-03-2012, 02:17 PM
Ok so I've been talking it over with my dad and for now I'm just going to stroke my own motor to a 4.8 liter, I found a kit for 1800 bucks plus the head work, then when I'm out of college I'll drop in a LS1. So in 3 years I'll do the v8 swap. The 4.8 will put out 290 Hp and more when I put in my nitrous kit.

4.3LXJ
06-03-2012, 02:25 PM
That is a better plan. The other will take too much time for a college student to do and stay in school

cantab27
06-03-2012, 02:56 PM
Ok so I've been talking it over with my dad and for now I'm just going to stroke my own motor to a 4.8 liter, I found a kit for 1800 bucks plus the head work, then when I'm out of college I'll drop in a LS1. So in 3 years I'll do the v8 swap. The 4.8 will put out 290 Hp and more when I put in my nitrous kit.

how many times have i told ya not to listen to ya folks....will put up a v8 build on a Aussie forum ya may like to read........i don't know if i will be around in 3 years.....think ya being a wee bit selfish............:D:D:D

Metlic53
06-04-2012, 01:14 AM
the link im giving is where i found a kit to make my motor a 4.8, seem like a good price? any other ideas would be appreciated as well, im still researching. oh and mine is a 97 model

http://jakesracingengines.nstemp.com/jeep%20page%202.htm

cantab27
06-04-2012, 01:26 AM
heres that linky.....

http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=98153

bigjim350
06-04-2012, 01:26 AM
If you really do plan to run a bottle on it, you will want the low compression ratio that they offer. Low comp motors work best with N20.