PDA

View Full Version : Check Gauges, Battery Reading 12V then jumps to 9V

GreggyXj
05-10-2012, 06:30 PM
I noticed yesterday on my 99 daily driver that the check gauges light came on and my battery was only reading 9V. Now when i first start it up it will 12V which is still low but after a few seconds the check gauges light pops up, and the battery jumps to 9V. After turning it on and off a few times same thing everytime. i cleaned my terminals today and nothing. What do yall think? should i head down to advanced and have them read it or has anyone experienced this before? no noticeable difference in electronics but still not sure if its an alternator or what?

oderdene
05-10-2012, 08:29 PM
check alternator output first. feeder wire and nut holding this wire to alternator. it is 10mm and you have to use deep socket. also fuse on PDC

4.3LXJ
05-10-2012, 09:08 PM
Od is right. Check the voltage off the alternator. It might not be in the best of shape

Mudderoy
05-11-2012, 03:25 AM
I noticed yesterday on my 99 daily driver that the check gauges light came on and my battery was only reading 9V. Now when i first start it up it will 12V which is still low but after a few seconds the check gauges light pops up, and the battery jumps to 9V. After turning it on and off a few times same thing everytime. i cleaned my terminals today and nothing. What do yall think? should i head down to advanced and have them read it or has anyone experienced this before? no noticeable difference in electronics but still not sure if its an alternator or what?

I had a bad alternator. Oreilys checked it NINE times and it passed each time. I replaced it anyway, no further issues for over 6 months now.

jonb8
05-11-2012, 05:45 AM
Sounds to me like one of the brushes in the Alt is sticking. Happens to us mud guy's all the time, My 98 will read low volts for a few minutes then the computer must shut it off cause it will go to 0 and the check gauges light will come on. I just take mine off and clean the brushes and reinstall. Been in any deep mud lately?

showe3207
05-11-2012, 08:34 AM
I also have a 99 cherokee sport and I had the same issue last summer. It ended up being a bad alternator. I replaced it and havent had any problems since.

GreggyXj
05-13-2012, 06:54 PM
replaced the alternator, but in the process of tightening the belt i snapped the tensioner bolt...just my luck, so im stuck til tuesday when the bolt and tensioner come in from chyrsler. ill let yall know

nickxj94
05-13-2012, 07:38 PM

My 2000 done the same thing but my lights would surge and I found the wire with the 10mm nut was loose I could move it by hand so I tightened it up and haven't had a issue.

Sent from my LG-LW690 using Tapatalk 2