PDA

View Full Version : Gggrrrrr, still no spark! HELP!

grizzlyxj
05-09-2012, 07:35 PM
ok, heres the story....ugh

Bought a 98 xj for $700 being told I just had to install the fuel pump that they had for it, easy enough right? Then it turned into, we dont know where the pump is....meanwhile I am scrubbing green slime out of the tank that sat outside for "just a year"(my butt!):mad: Bought a new pump and had to order new tank straps from Oconee off road up to $900+ now. Pumps in, straps on....no fuel or spark!:bang: CPS no good, replaced it, now I have fuel but sparkless:eek: OHM the coil....guess what, yep it's a POS:rolleye0018:. Any ideas on where to look next? Computer maybe???? I missed taking it to the Blessing of the Jeeps in Mesick,Michigan. I was there as photographer though, pics can be seen at cadillacjeepers facebook page.But wow, I am going nutz with this dang thing!!!:drinking: Thanks for your help!

4.3LXJ
05-09-2012, 08:18 PM
Any codes pulled from this yet?

Mudderoy
05-09-2012, 09:21 PM
What does the CKS do in the distributor, could that be bad as well, causing the lack of spark.

This thing is starting to sound like it was hit by lightening! :sign0181:

4.3LXJ
05-10-2012, 10:02 AM
Yes, the cam position sensor in the dizzy could be bad. It would help if you could read codes on this.

grizzlyxj
05-10-2012, 11:37 AM
We live WAY out in the boonies and have no access to a code reader......lol. Is there a way to test CKS with a meter???

Thanks!

Bill

4.3LXJ
05-10-2012, 11:49 AM
We live WAY out in the boonies and have no access to a code reader......lol. Is there a way to test CKS with a meter???

Thanks!

Bill

Yes. Check for power to it. Should be five volts. Jumper from the disconnected plug to the proper terminal on the other side. Crank the engine. You should get alternating voltage, that is the meter voltage will go up and down.

cantab27
05-11-2012, 05:26 AM
check all fuse....we had this the other day out in the bush.....was a 10 cent fuse

jonb8
05-11-2012, 05:41 AM
Check the ASD relay...(auto shut down) it has a small fuse in the engine compartment box that runs it too.. So check all of those.

grizzlyxj
05-17-2012, 06:35 PM
It was the computer so far! It has run for 4-5 seconds at a time, but then it did sit in a field for a couple years with no gas tank....lol. Now the ASD relay just keeps clicking no matter which relay we switch it with????? BUT IT RAN!!!!! Woo Hoo!

grizzlyxj
05-22-2012, 04:43 PM
It was the computer so far! It has run for 4-5 seconds at a time, but then it did sit in a field for a couple years with no gas tank....lol. Now the ASD relay just keeps clicking no matter which relay we switch it with????? BUT IT RAN!!!!! Woo Hoo!

:confused:What can trigger the ASD? It starts and runs for a couple seconds then dies.......how long should I hear the fuel pump when I turn the key on??? Any ideas will be helpfulllllll ! All fuses and relays checked and working......Thanks!

Carves
05-22-2012, 06:44 PM
Maybe it thinks its a RHD export model .... with an engine immobiliser .. :D

First thing to do imho ... is grab an online copy of the factory service manual and spend many annoying hours, going through the wiring section ... chasing circuits, connector pin outs and colours ... :)

FWIW ...

It sounds like a dodgy relay :confused:

However, since the problem persists with new relays .... I'd be checking the PCM wiring & PCM connector - of the relay ... and the relay connector in the PDC ... in case a mouse or something has beeen nibbling on wiring ... or corrosion formed, whilst its been sitting in that paddock.

On my 97 its the DB/YL wire / pin 3 in the C3 Grey Connector .... but ... Grab an FSM for your model and make sure ;)

The relay output - when activated - also feeds 12v back to the PCM in addition to feeding the injectors/coil/ and a bunch of other stuff

grizzlyxj
05-31-2012, 08:33 PM
IT'S ALIVE!!!!!!! The computer we borrowed was from a 2001 which has a chipped key......98s did not. Bought a used one from a 98 and she runs like a champ!!!! Now all that's left is to change the oil, antifreeze, and replace a few busted wheel studs and she is on the road!:driving::cop:

Brasscatz
05-31-2012, 09:03 PM
That's awesome! How much did that run you? Sounds like you got into a pretty sweet xj for a great price!

grizzlyxj
06-01-2012, 08:33 AM
That's awesome! How much did that run you? Sounds like you got into a pretty sweet xj for a great price!

We bought it for $700 from a neighbor of Dawn's. We have replaced most of the ign. system and the fuel pump. changed CPS, pickup coil(or cam sensor), col, battery, cleaned all grounds and connections, added 2nd engine to body ground, and one battery cable. All in all we probably have about $1100 in it so far. Now I have to get new tires and do the brakes soonish.

Brasscatz
06-01-2012, 11:33 AM
Very nice!

xj4life2
06-01-2012, 12:20 PM
:worthlesspics:

oderdene
06-02-2012, 04:48 AM
woohoo, congrats bro, go ahead to mud, rock, mountain ....