PDA

View Full Version : Necessary Accessories for 4.5 RC Lift

Kimber6331
05-08-2012, 11:29 AM
Hey yall got a quick question, and I apologize if it's already been asked. Got down to business last few months and now I can order my lift kit. I'm going with a 4.5 inch lift from Rough Country (X-series- the one that includes new rear leaf springs, upper/lower x-flew control arms, adj. track bar, and sway bar disconnects). MY QUESTION IS: what are some accessories I should add to this kit? I know I'm going to need to buy a SYE and a steering stabilizer. Any other GOOD ideas to get now and save trouble later? Also, for the next 7 months she will be my daily driver. Are there any mods that can help make her a good ON road driver as well as OFF? Like always, any help is greatly appreciated because I have no idea what the hell I'm doing! Thanks again!

bigjim350
05-08-2012, 12:48 PM
Would be a good time to upgrade the tie rod

Sent from my nerdy smartphone

Mudderoy
05-08-2012, 01:13 PM
Hey yall got a quick question, and I apologize if it's already been asked. Got down to business last few months and now I can order my lift kit. I'm going with a 4.5 inch lift from Rough Country (X-series- the one that includes new rear leaf springs, upper/lower x-flew control arms, adj. track bar, and sway bar disconnects). MY QUESTION IS: what are some accessories I should add to this kit? I know I'm going to need to buy a SYE and a steering stabilizer. Any other GOOD ideas to get now and save trouble later? Also, for the next 7 months she will be my daily driver. Are there any mods that can help make her a good ON road driver as well as OFF? Like always, any help is greatly appreciated because I have no idea what the hell I'm doing! Thanks again!

As long as you're on the road you should be fine. If you're going to take it off road I'd replace the tie rod, track bar, TRE's and you might need a drop pitman arm depending on the track bar. Oh and you might want some quick disconnects if that kit doesn't come with them. You won't need that until off road of course.

The SYE is a good idea, but quite expensive. Personally I would do the SYE first then install the kit. That way you don't have to put the transfer case in, then take it out later.

JeepinOutfitters
05-08-2012, 05:32 PM
I agree with bigjim350. If you're going to be working on the rig installing a lift (which will require a front end alignment afterwards) go ahead and replace the factory tierod with a heavy-duty one. Rough Country makes a nice one, so you could order it along with your lift.

An SYE and driveshaft are always a good idea with a lift, particularly for late model XJs.

Other than that, frankly the RC 4.5" X-Series kit is pretty complete.

Just make sure to get the front end aligned ASAP after you get the lift done and (I'm assuming) your new tires mounted.

Kimber6331
05-11-2012, 11:38 AM
Thanks for the responses. That was my original idea to not spend money on off road equipment until I can afford to. As far as installation goes, can an amateur mechanic like myself complete it? I feel as if someone with the experience and most the right tools should be the first to try. Anyone on this site know of any reputable garages I can take her to? Im in central Maryland. Im sure cost is going to be too expensive anywhere I go so I'm not focused on price. .

bluedragon436
05-11-2012, 11:43 AM
I would say you should be able to install it yourself so long as you take your time, use the instructions and as always if you get stuck somewhere you can almost always hit up the chatbox or even start a thread on here and get some help pretty quickly... not to mention I know RC is usually pretty good with answering questions when you give them a call while you are installing.. As far as shops... there aren't too many in the Tri-state area.. Where exactly are you located in MD, that will help me locate a place you could talk too about doing the install if you don't want to tackle it yourself..

Mudderoy
05-11-2012, 12:55 PM
Allow yourself at least one day of down time for the Jeep. You may run into a situation that you can't resolve and you'll have to wait until the next day to get a tool, a part, etc...

Kimber6331
05-11-2012, 04:10 PM
Im located in the Baltimore County, town called Arbutus. And Im pretty confident I can tackle it I just always love having a bac up plan. And I suppose that is a good idea I could start a thread with pics and if I need help you guys will know what Im talking bout. I appreciate the help

Kimber6331
05-18-2012, 12:25 PM
I didn't realize how expensive a set of tires can be! How long do you think I can last with my stock size tires (goodyear wrangler sr-a's , 29's i think) with my 4.5 lift? I'd probably have to save up for a couple months. While I'm at it, 31's vs 32's? What brand for all terrain would yall recommend?

Mudderoy
05-18-2012, 12:28 PM
I didn't realize how expensive a set of tires can be! How long do you think I can last with my stock size tires (goodyear wrangler sr-a's , 29's i think) with my 4.5 lift? I'd probably have to save up for a couple months. While I'm at it, 31's vs 32's? What brand for all terrain would yall recommend?

It's a slippery slope. 32's on a 4.5" but then you'll have issues with the 3.55 gears in your diffs. You really need 4.10. You'll lose mpg city with the 3.55 gears.

I really like the BFG KM2 tires.

JeepinOutfitters
05-18-2012, 12:53 PM

You can last as long as you want with stock tires and 4.5" of lift. It'll look kinda goofy though.

IMHO if you're going that tall, you need to run at least 32s. If you go with 31s there's no sense, IMHO, in going with the expense of a 4.5" lift. But like Mudderoy said though, with 32s you'll probably want to regear, and if you do that then you might as well go with 33s and some 4.56 gears instead. Bigger tires require more fender/flare clearancing though. Really, once you decide to go over 3.5" and 31s, it gets to be a bit of a slippery slope as far as modifying (and expense) goes.

The BFG KM2s are good tires, but they're a 'mud' terrain. If you're looking for a good all-terrain then check out the new'ish Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac. They're getting to be pretty popular now and I've read a lot of good stuff about them. If I was after an AT tire, they'd be my first choice.

4.3LXJ
05-18-2012, 01:59 PM
You can go with 31s o stock rims for the time being if you want, and still look OK. Just don't trim the fenders or get rid of the stock flares.

that might save you a little money right now. But the moment you trim your fenders, start thinking 32s or preferably 33s and new wheels

Kimber6331
05-18-2012, 03:20 PM
Im sure it'll look goofy but I'm gonna have to for a little while, long enough to save for sye, tires and rims ifthey're needed. I was mostly wondering if I could fit 31, 32's on stock rims. I not so much worried about mud terrains as i am A/T's because this will be my DD as well. Honestly, between the SYE, cv driveshaft, gear changes, new rims, track bar, tie rods, Im reconsidering just gettting a 3'' lift and calling it even lol. Slippery slope indeed! Just when I think I have an idea on where to start or what else to get for a 4.5'' lift I am introduced to another piece of equipment. Guess that's what I get for owning such a sophisticated and unique piece of machinery.