PDA

View Full Version : Why use spotters on simple stuff??

toytroy
05-07-2012, 06:09 PM
I see tons of pictures all over this forum with guys using spotters. It makes me laugh cause I've went over bigger, rougher stuff with my down hill bike. I see the point in spotters on gnar stuff but, come on guys, man up and let the other guys ride too not "spot" you over a damn pebble or over a 3 inch deep stream. If you can't make it up non comp style runs without a spotter, please do us a favor and stop wheelin.

Also, why bring people with you in your rig that is not caged and do gnarley runs? Do you like putting other peoples life in serious danger? And if you tell them to get out cause its too dangerous, why did you bring them, to hike while you have fun?
I just see a lot of this where I wheel, guys with there kids doin stuff in a non caged rig and I'm standing back sayin,"damn man, that's a f***ed up run right there." I just don't like putting other peoples life in that style of danger especialy kids man. I have 2 of my own and that's why I'm building a trail jeep so the whole family can enjoy it.

On a funny note, I didn't get a pic but, I seen a funny thing. A cherokee with a homebrew basket in the back, pvc roof rack with a 1 gallon gas can and a tent on it, a blocked rear and spacer front lift, almost bold highway tires, a thing metal plate welded to the front bumper and a 1500lb rated atv winch. Hahaha that right there my friends is a serious recovery rig... For a yamaha big bear 350 haha. I've heard of bein on a budget but, come on...seriously.

Carves
05-07-2012, 07:46 PM
... and whats wrong with using a spotter at 3" deep streams ???? ........ :mad:

http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n629/carves-oz/Trip%20Pics/11032012/11032012_28a.jpg

:smiley-laughing021::smiley-laughing021:

Spotters are handy for lots of reasons ... Taking photos mostly, I think ... :smiley-scared003: ... :D

Some people just need em more than others .... Heck, I know people that cant reverse down their driveway without a "spotter" ... and then theres other drivers who always seem to get through the "gnarly" stuff with a minimum of fuss ... and no spotters.

Each to their own I reckon .. whether it be weekend wheelin or competition events .. ;)

30 year ago - I had one of those ATV winches ... as they are now called ... was a handy bit of kit on my small 4x4s for nearly 15yrs .... but understanding its limits was part of - successfully using it .. ;)

XJ4IV
05-07-2012, 07:52 PM
heres MY spotter
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s231/mirfjc/P2212258.jpg
well not just yet but yes I WILL do this but id LIKE to get a camera that I can rotate and tilt so I can attain ANY problem and overcome without getting out of the jeep... I guess Im pretty damn lazy!

xjmarc
05-07-2012, 09:16 PM
I get spotter duty quite a bit but lots of times it's with guys who are new to wheeling and don't know how to pick a line. A few weeks back we had a ride and had at least 3 rigs that had never seen a dirt road. Instead of letting them beat and bang around till they broke something, which I prolly would have had to fix, I spotted them or told them to take the bypass so they could see what their rigs are capable of. Had one guy who wanted to pull cable at every little ledge and after me convincing him to try things my way he didn't get to try out his brand new winch but left with a grin from ear to ear. As for a cage, I still don't have one and I ride most times with rock buggys and I have had it on it's side several times and on the roof once. Not saying it's smart but I haven't come up with the cash to build one yet.

cantab27
05-07-2012, 09:18 PM
wow troy,,feel better now........................

bigjim350
05-07-2012, 09:20 PM
So i guess by reading how you talk about the guy with the spacer and block lift that your one of those fellas that thinks you need to build high end rigs to have fun. I see nothing wrong with somebody wheeling whatever they have. And if the driver wants a spotter to do easy stuff why do you let it bother you? So they aren't as experianced as you, oh well. Never knew there were so many rules to wheeling.

XJ4IV
05-07-2012, 09:35 PM
I got ONE rule while wheeling... all the rest are guidelines
Rule#1 no drinking while wheeling... IM NOT SUPERWHEELER!
other guidelines are try not to break shit
if another jeep goes though a spot and goes too deep... best not follow unless I wanna drown the jeep
one rule I stick with because I used to DD my jeep was on a wheeling trip once somebody breaks something that require more than 200$ in parts then I cut back to the 2-3 trails... murphys law
TEST the waters means go slow cause ledges arrive FAST!
I got a few others but its been a while since I been wheelin!

Firemanray
05-07-2012, 09:40 PM
Not to many rules when I wheel either, oh, except don't follow big jim through water holes! I guess my only serious rule is "trailer it", then I don't have to worry about how much carnage I create.

4.3LXJ
05-07-2012, 09:50 PM
Spotting can be relative. For instance I would spot my wife on lots of stuff I would never need one just because she is so inexperienced. It never hurts to have one.

Now a true story. When I was all of 19 years old, I was working out in the woods for the Forest Service. We were camped up at the 9,000 foot level at a nice lake. One of those places where spring arrives in August. I had gone to town to see the girl friend, one of those 19 year old things. I had a lifted 69 Bronco that I had done some work on and could take the bumps really well. I was coming back to camp early headed down a rough road with rocks sticking up about 4" doing about 35 mph. I came around the corner and there was a brand new CJ5 in the road, stopped. I came to a sideways halt and couldn't believe it. It was an old couple in the Jeep. He had his wife out looking under the Jeep to make sure the transfer case did not hit those 4" rocks. He looked at her and she looked at him for a moment, then she crawled back in and off they went. I made it to camp in time to go to work.

toytroy
05-08-2012, 12:18 AM
To everyone that gets offended by what I said, there is no need for you to post. I guess I should have worded some stuff alittle different. Spotting some people cause they are inexperianced is fine in my book but, some people do take it too far and aren't will to try anything.

I've never said I'm this great wheeler and had all this money to build these trucks but, I've seen bad stuff happen to people that just throw random blocks and spacers on there truck to wheel it and then the fail half way through a hill.

And yes I do feel better. Its nice to vent about stuff that bugs ya alittle every once in awhile.

What I meant about the roll cage is, putting others (mainly childrens) lives in danger. I've put my one neck out there a few times but, I'm still here.

bigjim350
05-08-2012, 12:28 AM
I have no problem with anybody using a spotter. Makes me feel better when i make it through it without one. I also wheel with no roll cage and as far as i know, I havent killed anybody....yet.

bigjim350
05-08-2012, 12:32 AM
I did use to street race with a guy that would have his little kid laying in the back seat while he raced. He did have a cage but was still a dumba$$ :)

cantab27
05-08-2012, 12:34 AM
tis cool troy ...you bring up some good points...the kids thing is a worry sometimes....i biggest pev when wheeling is the ones who gotta stop every 5 mins and have a chat,...does my head in......we don't spot much here, but do check out the water depth ......sometimes

http://i469.photobucket.com/albums/rr52/cantab27/jeepin%20and%20bits/waterrat002.jpg

toytroy
05-08-2012, 01:31 AM
I know there is always the situations where a spotter is nice, I've used spotters when I had my yota. I guess I've just seen a lot of pictures and what not lately of people using spotters and I just say to my self, why?? I'm not against spotters so I hope I'm not giving that vibe off. I don't really do much water stuff. Streams and mud depending on the trails, I just hate packing bearing and having the wet dog smell in the rig haha. So I don't have to worry about swimming as much lol.

cantab27
05-08-2012, 01:36 AM
big rocks i understand spotters....this is what i mainly wheel in....shame im in a tj now...dont hate...:rolleye0012:

http://www.xjtalk.com/showthread.php?t=10511

Mudderoy
05-08-2012, 01:33 PM
Okay here's the buzz kill. I think it's great anytime someone posts something that makes us think and may even get us riled up a bit. This is a great example of a good conversation starter.

I for one just accepted the spotter situation, and I didn't fully understand why they were there. I've been off road in my XJ three times though. :rotfl2:

OrangeXJ
05-08-2012, 02:32 PM
I don't request a spotter every time but if someone wants to I'm cool with it. With 8" of lift on 37's I can't see every thing

DETOURS
05-08-2012, 03:09 PM
Spotters are'nt always needed, if it's a club event, it's good that everyone gets involved, I've been asked to spot from 4 Jeeps back, no big deal....lend a hand.

True Story: XJ attempting a rock climb a few years back, spotter on the rocks, XJ could'nt make it......decided to back up a bit, take a better run at it..........BAM......Backed right into a rather large tree, put his rear tire carrier and tire thru his glass and rear hatch..........

That guy had 8-10 years seat time........Bet he wished he had a spotter.

:spongebob:

Mudderoy
05-08-2012, 03:17 PM
Spotters are'nt always needed, if it's a club event, it's good that everyone gets involved, I've been asked to spot from 4 Jeeps back, no big deal....lend a hand.

True Story: XJ attempting a rock climb a few years back, spotter on the rocks, XJ could'nt make it......decided to back up a bit, take a better run at it..........BAM......Backed right into a rather large tree, put his rear tire carrier and tire thru his glass and rear hatch..........

Trees are crafty!

4.3LXJ
05-08-2012, 03:29 PM

Must not have been one of yours eh Mark :timeout:

toytroy
05-08-2012, 04:42 PM

Well, sorry he didn't look back when backing up. I tend to look in the directions that I'm going.

I understand being up high, my 79 yota with a 22re swap high enought that I didn't have to cut fenders to clear my 37's. Yes aproaching a hill and you can see down it cause your too tall, its nice to have someone that's got your back. I guess I'm the guy that if he is doubting something or not sure what's on the other side, I look for myself and "map" myself a run through it. Everyone has there own way of doing stuff but, I feel, in my opinion, so people try to take the easy way out so to say.

Haha I'm still laughing about the guy backing into a tree that damn hard :rotfl2:. I've slid down muddy wet hills and hit trees but, that was out of my control.

bigjim350
05-08-2012, 05:09 PM
I was down in a creek backing up to get a good line and didn't see a small cut down tree sticking out of the bank. Shattered my back glass. Can understand why nobody wanted to spot me in that waist deep water.

Sent from my nerdy smartphone

Mudderoy
05-08-2012, 07:10 PM
I was down in a creek backing up to get a good line and didn't see a small cut down tree sticking out of the bank. Shattered my back glass. Can understand why nobody wanted to spot me in that waist deep water.

The really sad part of that was the loss of a xjtalk sticker. :rotfl2:

toytroy
05-08-2012, 09:53 PM

See, that's different though. This guy backed into a huge tree, not a cut down stump.