PDA

View Full Version : Brake upgrade options and trouble shooting

XJ4IV
05-06-2012, 09:04 PM
ok I followed a thread on another forum to figure out the best way to help me STOP my jeep now that its on 1 ton axles and 37's. the option I followed was to use a 1995 XJ booster as it has a dual diaphragm and was VERY sought after in the jeep community.
then upon reading further i decided to use a brake booster from a 1985 Ford E350 which was supposed to be a viable option as well based on the bore diameter. I just dropped almost $200 bucks on getting this all plumbed together and the guy doing it stated everything is done but I needed to make a new push rod which is to be 1.25 inches LONGER than the OE 95 xj one, so yesterday I made just that and installed it but upon driving it I found that I have pretty much no brakes, they re VERY firm and I have to stand on them before they will actually grab.
Ive made adjustments but to no avail
what are my other options to make this work?
Ive read that a 98 dodge 2500 master cylinder and a 2000 dodge durango master cylinder would work with this booster but master cylinders arent exactly cheap or free is there possibly something wrong with my calipers?

bigjim350
05-06-2012, 10:12 PM
I know I would have just used the factory booster and master cylinder. Youve already said it wouldnt be street driven so those would do just fine offroad.

XJ4IV
05-06-2012, 10:15 PM
Andy said that the OE setup wouldn't do crap for the 37s on road OR offroad so he set me up with a couple of his FB buddies and one linked me to a pirate thread which led me this direction

xjrev10
05-07-2012, 04:22 AM
What year is the XJ in question?

4.3LXJ
05-07-2012, 10:12 AM
Scott my first question is if the booster is working. What you describe is what happens when they don't

XJ4IV
05-07-2012, 08:34 PM
ok I think the issue is that the booster and mastercylinder mating surface is not sealed... Im getting it towed back to MY house tomorrow to see about fixing that!
its a 92 XJ with a 95 XJ dual diaphragm booster direct bolt on and the master cylinder is a 1985 E350 which is said to work phenomenally but lots of folks have told me to check the seal between the two soooooo on to that tomorrow

OrangeXJ
05-08-2012, 03:28 AM
Andy said that the OE setup wouldn't do crap for the 37s on road OR offroad so he set me up with a couple of his FB buddies and one linked me to a pirate thread which led me this direction

I don't have a problem stoping 37's on or off road with a stock break system

XJ4IV
05-08-2012, 07:54 PM
well I found out the problem WAS the booster... or was it the Master cylinder??? well it was the mating surface between the two so I made a rubber gasket and put it in between that was DEFINITELY the win! that thing is like a miracle! best stopping power Ive EVER had in a jeep!
I was able to finish the jeep up today and take it out for a test run... I talked to the guy who had this same setup and he warned me that the stopping power was so strong that the first time he was out he had to emergency stop to avoid a deer and ... well he slammed the brakes and broke a control arm mountLOL
so anyhow heeding his warning I decided to take really easy and I actually have to press it like a brand new car hard to explain but its very sensitive... now I just gotta figure out the emergency brake cables... they are JACKED up!

4.3LXJ
05-08-2012, 09:29 PM
Congrats Scott. Gonna be time to wheel soon