PDA

View Full Version : Repainting the Jeep soon!

apeXJudge824
05-06-2012, 05:35 PM
Title says it.. Planning on repainting my 87 2door Matte Army Green with an extremely patriotic flag (AMREICA!!) on the roof. Figure id give it something to stand out! :patriot::patriot:
My question is.. how much paint will i need? kinda unsure about this and had no idea where to post this on the forum so thats why its here haha

For starters. I DO NOT plan on doing primer and blocking and all that fancy stuff.. its my first DIY paint job and it doesnt have to be show quality.

So i was thinking 3.. possibly 4 coats would be enough to get a good solid color im looking for. You guys think 2 gallons will cover that? is that to much?
BTW Im using a professional HVLP gun, no rattle can here.

Thanks for any info, will also be posting before and after pics as soon as possible :D:D

Brasscatz
05-06-2012, 07:27 PM
Honestly couldn't tell you for sure, but I wanted to chime in and say that I can't wait to see the pics of the finished product!

bigjim350
05-06-2012, 10:18 PM
1 gallon will be more than enough. I'd do 2 very light coats then 1 solid coat and call it done. What is your factory color? That will help decide on how many coats.

XJ4IV
05-06-2012, 10:36 PM
your paint job will ONLY come out as strong as your sanding job... understood your not looking for quality however durability is a key factor, I have repainted my jeep two different times and the first I wet sanded the whole damn jeep and it held great for about two years then started flaking, THIS time used a palm sander dry and it worked way faster and gave great results... no shipping here yet and ive been through hell and back!
as for how MUCH paint, I used 12 cans of rattle can paint from lowes at like 24 oz each or so to get two coats so Im not sure how that comes out but Im pretty sure its less than a gallon CLOSE TO but not quite a gallon and remember if your doing a mural up top in different color then you dont need to account for that area

bigjim350
05-06-2012, 10:46 PM
I know a gallon will be plenty. Cant compare it with a rattle can. There is alot more paint waste with a rattle can than there is with a HVLP gun. Also what gun are you using? You can get alot more coverage with say a sata gun than with a low quality home depot gun.

apeXJudge824
05-07-2012, 08:31 AM
Thanks for the info guys, appreciate it.
As far as sanding and blocking, would i have to use a for that? or my factor coat would do just fine? Speaking of m factor coat.. Its a 2 tone Grey on top and Maroon bottom. I know the maroon is going to be a bitch and a half compared to the Grey. The grey pretty much looks like a priming surface. Clear coat is pretty much absent maybe except for the maroon on the sides.

I did plan on doing some scuffing because i know that really helps the paint adhere to the surface but i wasnt planning on full forced mission.

As for the gun, not sure of the brand but i know its high quality. My bosses uses the spraying equipment hes letting me borrow to restore all his old caddys and collectors cars (years 1950 and older. awesome collection:D) so i expect its going to be high quality.

As for a pic of my 2door, i would post one but idk how to yet on forums haha but its nothing special. Except for the rusted out passenger side floor plan (exhaust annihilated it) doing a write up on that soon. Leaking valve and oil gaskets and of course the noticeable 2 late 80s 2 tone haha

apeXJudge824
05-07-2012, 08:32 AM
Thanks for the info guys, appreciate it.
As far as sanding and blocking, would i have to use a for that? or my factor coat would do just fine? Speaking of m factor coat.. Its a 2 tone Grey on top and Maroon bottom. I know the maroon is going to be a bitch and a half compared to the Grey. The grey pretty much looks like a priming surface. Clear coat is pretty much absent maybe except for the maroon on the sides.

I did plan on doing some scuffing because i know that really helps the paint adhere to the surface but i wasnt planning on full forced mission.

As for the gun, not sure of the brand but i know its high quality. My bosses uses the spraying equipment hes letting me borrow to restore all his old caddys and collectors cars (years 1950 and older. awesome collection:D) so i expect its going to be high quality.

As for a pic of my 2door, i would post one but idk how to yet on forums haha but its nothing special. Except for the rusted out passenger side floor plan (exhaust annihilated it) doing a write up on that soon. Leaking valve and oil gaskets and of course the noticeable 2 late 80s 2 tone haha

Sorry ment to say, Would i need to use a primer for blocking and sanding. up at the top there