PDA

View Full Version : 2/wd 98 XJ SPORT 2 DOOR

madmoly340
04-30-2012, 06:14 AM
I have a 2 wd 2 door sport is this not a good xj there is not much info on them in any of the jeep forums out there including this one or is it the fact that its /wd?

Mudderoy
04-30-2012, 08:52 AM
I have a 2 wd 2 door sport is this not a good xj there is not much info on them in any of the jeep forums out there including this one or is it the fact that its /wd?

When most people think of Jeeps they think of off road, mud, rocks, etc... That's the "sexy" view of Jeeps. The real world view is much more mundane. Driving back and forth to work. Getting groceries, you know just a vehicle that gets you from point A to point B.

So no there's nothing wrong with a 2WD 2 Door Sport XJ. It's a great vehicle, it's just not so much an off road vehicle, and maybe a little less interesting to talk (or post) about.

Your 2WD is at least 95% the same as any 4WD XJ, so unless we're talking about transfer case, to to some degree the transmission, the rest applies to you.

That includes (even though you may not be interested in doing it) lifting and running larger tires on your 2WD. The same lift we use to lift our 4WD XJ's can be used on the 2WD. In fact the other admin bought a 2WD XJ and put in a DANA 30 axle, 4WD transmission and transfer case. Basically converted his 2WD to a 4WD. He has everything ours do with the exception of the 4x4 sticker. ;o)

I'm not suggesting that you convert yours only to illustrate that 2WD XJ and 4WD XJ are very much alike.

olds-cool
04-30-2012, 10:20 AM
Not that there is anything wrong with the 2wd. Just depends on what driving style you prefer and your local terrain. If I lived near the desert, I'd set a 2wd up as a Prerunner. Probably a 4.5" long arm, some 31's, and some really good shocks. Build it to go fast over rough terrain. Unfortunatly most of us live nowhere near the desert so we build 4wd XJs to go slowly through woods and rocks. These are situations where low end torque and 4 wheels clawing will make all the diference. That's likely why you don't see much on the 2wd versions. As Tony said though, they can be converted and since you have to buy new parts anyways, it's a good time to look at upgrades like a stronger front axle.

4.3LXJ
04-30-2012, 11:09 AM
Just so you know, the Jeep Speed guys convert theirs to 2WD to race. So you see, it just depends.

DETOURS
04-30-2012, 11:14 AM
I'd spank it........I'd set it up for the street, build a sleeper......:popcorn:

XJ Wheeler
04-30-2012, 12:39 PM
I'd spank it........I'd set it up for the street, build a sleeper......:popcorn:

Now we're talkin'!