PDA

View Full Version : Auto transmission question

Joliet Johnny
04-26-2012, 11:51 AM
My trans works fine for now but my XJ just hit 140,000. I plan to keep my XJ till gasoline isnt sold anymore. I have thought it would be a good idea to find a trans for it before I need one. I feel I have 3 options; 1. find a low mileage trans from a 4wd, 2. find a 5 speed setup, 3. find a 2wd trans with low miles.

The question is can I make a 2wd trans work in a 4wd by removing the tailshaft and if thats not possible will the internals swap? Also Im abit confused, the trans in the XJ is similar to the one put in a Supra right? If so can that work in some way?

4.3LXJ
04-26-2012, 12:38 PM
If you treat it right, your current trans is only at its half life. But to answer your question, if you pick up one to rebuild or swap out, then you need to match the spline count to what you have now, or change the tcase out with it. Of course by then, your tcase will need a little TLC also. You can swap in a 5 speed, but you need the clutch linkage and a non auto computer to go with it I think. A 2 wheel drive tranny will work if you change out the tail housing and main shaft.

cpttuna
04-26-2012, 09:10 PM
when was the last time you had the trans serviced?

89Laredo
04-26-2012, 09:55 PM
You can swap in a 5 speed, but you need the clutch linkage and a non auto computer to go with it I think.

Depending on year, you can just jump the NSS so It thinks its in Neutral all the time, and run a switch for back up lights.

Cheromaniac
04-27-2012, 07:01 AM
My trans works fine for now but my XJ just hit 140,000. I plan to keep my XJ till gasoline isnt sold anymore. I have thought it would be a good idea to find a trans for it before I need one.

Unless you're having problems with the existing tranny all you need to do is change the fluid/filter, add an aftermarket stacked-plate type external tranny oil cooler, and install a tranny oil temp. gauge to monitor the temps. With these measures your tranny should last for a very long time.

DETOURS
04-27-2012, 08:15 AM
You should get 225-250k out of your automatic, as long as you keep it cool.
If you're concerned, I'd find a direct replacement and keep it on hand.

Joliet Johnny
04-27-2012, 07:54 PM
I have installed a trans cooler(put the writeup on this site), plan to add the temp gauge. Serviced the trans about 10k ago. Im the guy who likes to have a spare vehicles worth of parts. I find if you collect parts before they break you have time to hit all the pick a part junkyards hunting for low mileage vehicles. So far I have a lot of the engine sensors and common wear parts. This should prevent me from getting in trouble financially when something breaks and I dont have the spare cash to fix it the right way.

cpttuna
04-27-2012, 10:27 PM
I like your idea about getting parts in advance. I have gotten some simply because they were available and the "PRICE" was right. I already have a list for my next trip. [I] was made at myself last fall when I went to get acomplete window mechanism (driver's side) and the whole door was gone.