PDA

View Full Version : Project Rumble - Move your a$$ out of the way!

Mudderoy
04-24-2012, 01:29 PM
Are you sick and tired of people sitting at a green light head down starring at their smart phone?

Are you sick and tired of people poking along in the fast lane not paying attention to anything but their conversation on the cell phone?

Well chances are good that when you saw the news stories about a year ago about the "Rumbler" (http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/27/nyregion/27critic.html) you thought, "wow that would be a nice way to wake these people up!"

In case you don't know what the rumbler is, it's a device that was created to help emergency vehicles get the attention of drivers. With all the sound proofing and very loud stereo systems in vehicles these days, all to often emergency vehicles are delayed because driver's don't notice them until they are directly behind them.

The rumbler uses the same technology that is in modern day stereo systems, an amp and a subwoofer! If you price the various rumbler systems they cost about $500. I figured I could make one for just a fraction of that cost.

Example of a commercial unit:
http://www.fleetsafety.com/catalog/howler-full.jpg

Here's what I've ordered so far...

Amp:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51E6ExR7n8L._SL500_AA300_.jpg
Boss Riot Series R1100M Monoblock 1100 Watt

Subwoofer:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51IgXGrRAEL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
Kicker 6.5Inch Shallow Mount Subwoofer 4 Ohm
:rolleye0012:

4.3LXJ
04-24-2012, 01:36 PM
Hey Tony, rumbler is what I used to call Rambler cars :D

I take it this will be outside? Is it waterproof? They make them for boats now that are water proof.

Mudderoy
04-24-2012, 01:59 PM
Hey Tony, rumbler is what I used to call Rambler cars :D

I take it this will be outside? Is it waterproof? They make them for boats now that are water proof.

I am sure the speaker is not water proof, but a nice section of 8"x12"(?) PVC will be a start. I'll have to glue in a mounting ring and then figure something that I can put over the ends. Perhaps something thin over the front.

olds-cool
04-24-2012, 03:02 PM
Don't think you'll get much out of a 6.5" sub. Maybe look at transducers like the old Aura Bass Shakers. I always wanted to add a set of those to a vehicle. With the XJ being a unibody, the lend themselves pretty well to this type of design. Mount it over one of the "frame rails" and it should shake the snot out of the body.
http://www.parts-express.com/wizards/searchResults.cfm?FTR=transducer&search_type=main&WebPage_ID=3&searchFilter=transducer

Mudderoy
04-24-2012, 03:21 PM
Don't think you'll get much out of a 6.5" sub. Maybe look at transducers like the old Aura Bass Shakers. I always wanted to add a set of those to a vehicle. With the XJ being a unibody, the lend themselves pretty well to this type of design. Mount it over one of the "frame rails" and it should shake the snot out of the body.
http://www.parts-express.com/wizards/searchResults.cfm?FTR=transducer&search_type=main&WebPage_ID=3&searchFilter=transducer

I wouldn't think a 6.5" would do much either but the commercial one's are 7.25" in diameter, and that's the case measurement.

It's an experiment. We'll see.

olds-cool
04-24-2012, 03:48 PM
Could also be that I'm getting the wrong impression of what exactly this thing does. Should be a neat project worth following though.

Mudderoy
04-24-2012, 04:30 PM
Could also be that I'm getting the wrong impression of what exactly this thing does. Should be a neat project worth following though.

Well my understand is it's supposed to annoy the person in front of your. :D Like the kids with their big bass installations do... :thumbsup:

denverd1
04-24-2012, 04:55 PM
hmmm.... so how are you going to get the right frequency to the sub?? weird project.

In other news, the shallow mount subs are getting to be pretty good in terms of sound quality. And no, I'm not a "kid with their big bass installations" that apparently annoy the shit out of you. But I do enjoy a good sound system and have them in the boat and truck.

I guess I'm thinking why not add a head unit and enjoy some improved sound quality?

Oh yea, the kids with the big systems won't be able to hear you...

4.3LXJ
04-24-2012, 06:32 PM
Well my understand is it's supposed to annoy the person in front of your. :D Like the kids with their big bass installations do... :thumbsup:

Might make your Jeep rattle :mock:

Mudderoy
04-24-2012, 06:49 PM
hmmm.... so how are you going to get the right frequency to the sub?? weird project.

In other news, the shallow mount subs are getting to be pretty good in terms of sound quality. And no, I'm not a "kid with their big bass installations" that apparently annoy the shit out of you. But I do enjoy a good sound system and have them in the boat and truck.

I guess I'm thinking why not add a head unit and enjoy some improved sound quality?

Oh yea, the kids with the big systems won't be able to hear you...

I will feed the amp with a mp3 player, so trial and error (with some Google research mixed in) will allow me to find the right most irritating sounds.

This will be outside the Jeep so there isn't much reason to attach a stereo system to it.

Right but my target audience is the idiots on cell phones.

Mudderoy
04-24-2012, 06:50 PM
Might make your Jeep rattle :mock:

As long as they move out of the way, don't care. :thumbsup:

DeftwillP
04-30-2012, 02:08 PM
Are you going to make the bass "directional" toward said cell phone talkers?

Mudderoy
04-30-2012, 02:14 PM
Are you going to make the bass "directional" toward said cell phone talkers?

Well I'm still learning about this. My understanding is the deep bass isn't really direction, however I do plan on putting the speaker in a tube and pointing it forward so anyone in front of me would be getting the loudest bass.

In the commercial unit they have two that both point forward of the vehicle, and are of course mounted externally. I may add a second "pod" after I see how the first one goes together.

OrangeXJ
04-30-2012, 04:22 PM
personally I think your wasting your time and money. Spend it on your jeep because nothing will change.

XJ Wheeler
04-30-2012, 04:39 PM
personally I think your wasting your time and money. Spend it on your jeep because nothing will change.

Technically, i think this is for the jeep.

XJ Wheeler
04-30-2012, 04:43 PM
Wouldn't this be considered a siren and looked at by the "man" as such? I know i'm not suppose to abuse my siren, if it works be careful who ya blast. :D

OrangeXJ
04-30-2012, 05:41 PM
Technically, i think this is for the jeep.

Worth less for off road but would work nice at the mall :poke:

Mudderoy
05-01-2012, 01:16 AM
Wouldn't this be considered a siren and looked at by the "man" as such? I know i'm not suppose to abuse my siren, if it works be careful who ya blast. :D

Dunno, but I'll let you know. Part of the beauty of this is a siren is heard over a long distance, this isn't. It's felt.

denverd1
05-01-2012, 10:06 AM
This is hilarious. Bass that is "felt" from a 6.5" speaker.... and low frequencies travel 10x farther than high ones. Yea, those tickets aren't cheap so be careful.

You'd prolly have better luck using a horn and some recorded sounds. like a train or a firetruck siren. Again, watch the man!

Why not just get big rig horns and run them off your OBA??

Mudderoy
05-01-2012, 10:51 AM
This is hilarious. Bass that is "felt" from a 6.5" speaker.... and low frequencies travel 10x farther than high ones. Yea, those tickets aren't cheap so be careful.

You'd prolly have better luck using a horn and some recorded sounds. like a train or a firetruck siren. Again, watch the man!

Why not just get big rig horns and run them off your OBA??

lol I'm doing that too. I have the 2.5 gal air tank. I have to mount it and once that's in I'll look at an air horn.

I don't think that playing bass outside your vehicle is illegal. I don't think it's considered to be a siren.

denverd1
05-01-2012, 12:09 PM
lol I'm doing that too. I have the 2.5 gal air tank. I have to mount it and once that's in I'll look at an air horn.

I don't think that playing bass outside your vehicle is illegal. I don't think it's considered to be a siren.

Bass isn't illegal but there are decibel limits within 100 ft of your vehicle. But I doubt you'd run into issues with a 6.5" speak.... Might as well join your local VFD, get a lightbar, siren and the whole setup! :out: at least you'd be legal :D

prerunner1982
05-01-2012, 12:21 PM
Tony... I like that you are trying to do something different. Looking forward to seeing how this turns out.

Mudderoy
05-01-2012, 01:31 PM
Tony... I like that you are trying to do something different. Looking forward to seeing how this turns out.

You're getting it. It's easy to do what is simple, it's harder to do the things that are hard. :rotfl2:

Mudderoy
05-01-2012, 01:38 PM
To all of you that are posting "do something else..." first off thanks for the post! lol

Second they told Albert Eisenstein that the speed of light was a constant, just accept it. They told Thomas Edison that light from electricity was crazy, fire has been around for centuries.

They told Pamela Anderson she'd never be more than a pretty girl next door with smallish boobies.

NAY! NAY! I say, ummmm to the naysayers! I'm doing it my way, or at least as much as I can copy from the commercial units. :rotfl2:

Brasscatz
05-01-2012, 01:46 PM
Personally, I was wishing I had something of the sort today to fix the annoying lady in the Acura in front of me that was going 10 under the speed limit whilst on the blankety blank, filth flarn foulin' mobile cellular appendage!!!!! Was stuck and couldn't go around her either.

Mudderoy
05-01-2012, 01:48 PM
Personally, I was wishing I had something of the sort today to fix the annoying lady in the Acura in front of me that was going 10 under the speed limit whilst on the blankety blank, filth flarn foulin' mobile cellular appendage!!!!! Was stuck and couldn't go around her either.

Don't think I haven't thought of a wide band cellular phone frequency jammer. Cause I have! Only problem is I could lose my HAM license. :rotfl2:

Brasscatz
05-01-2012, 01:54 PM
Don't think I haven't thought of a wide band cellular phone frequency jammer. Cause I have! Only problem is I could lose my HAM license. :rotfl2:

Oh, I have had dreams of jammers!!! Even dreams of manufacturers installing a robotic hand in the headrests of cars so that when people do stupid crap, the person behind could push a button that would make the hand smack the idiot in the back of the head!!!

Why would you lose your license?

Mudderoy
05-01-2012, 02:10 PM
Oh, I have had dreams of jammers!!! Even dreams of manufacturers installing a robotic hand in the headrests of cars so that when people do stupid crap, the person behind could push a button that would make the hand smack the idiot in the back of the head!!!

Why would you lose your license?

Jammers are illegal, period. No one can use them in the U.S. If they do they are in violation of FCC rules. Big trouble, big fines.

Dirt Dogg Rydas
05-01-2012, 02:58 PM
Hey tony this setup should work just fine for what you're looking to accomplish.
I used to have 2 10" subs with a 400watt amp and it could set off alarms 1 residential block away.

XJ Wheeler
05-01-2012, 03:28 PM
Bass can have powerful results. When you stand next to a van loaded with subs you realize just how powerful something like this can be. I'm enjoying the ingenuity and uniqueness of this project. You can bet i'm gonna want one.

4.3LXJ
05-01-2012, 04:23 PM
Some places to have ordinances against playing music too loud though

Mudderoy
05-01-2012, 04:32 PM
Some places to have ordinances against playing music too loud though

Correct. However I think the max duration necessary would be well under a minute. Plus bass is somewhat non-directional so it may be harder to identify where it's coming from.

denverd1
05-02-2012, 08:40 AM
It will be funny when folks realize it IS actually coming from the clean cut white guy in the red Jeep... :rolleyes:

BTW if it were me, and I had your goals in mind I'd put a 12-15" Kicker L7 in the back of the jeep in a 2.5' box vented down through floor. Those bad boys will move some air! Find one off CL for cheap... have fun

olds-cool
05-02-2012, 09:22 AM
While I still don't think a 6.5" is gonna be enough, I'm watching this thread so see how it turns out. It's a neat project whether it works or not. Besides, it's keeping your hands busy and keeping you out of trouble.... for now.

prerunner1982
05-02-2012, 09:42 AM
The one time I was at a small car show where they had a stereo competition the radio shop that was hosting it did not play any music in their car. It was more of a hum vibration noise, and it won the competition. You could always try recording different types of sounds and see which one creates the best vibrations.

Mudderoy
05-02-2012, 09:47 AM
The one time I was at a small car show where they had a stereo competition the radio shop that was hosting it did not play any music in their car. It was more of a hum vibration noise, and it won the competition. You could always try recording different types of sounds and see which one creates the best vibrations.

That is the plan. I will be generating different frequencies, and different pulse rates to see what works best. They will be MP3 files and I'll try them out first at my house then that will weed out the one's that suck. Then it will be street trials.

If they slam on the breaks that'll be a winner.

oderdene
05-02-2012, 10:13 AM
Bass Test 25 - 65 Hz - YouTube

THX Insane subwoofer test - YouTube

denverd1
05-02-2012, 10:31 AM
breaks?!?! I thought you wanted them to MOVE!! :D

Mudderoy
05-02-2012, 10:33 AM
breaks?!?! I thought you wanted them to MOVE!! :D

I've learned the hard way, no matter how well thought out the plan the unexpected usually happens. I guess I'm trying to defuse "Murphy's law" a bit. :rotfl2:

4.3LXJ
05-02-2012, 11:07 AM
OK, that rattled the desk good. Next.

default83
05-02-2012, 11:43 AM
6.5" with a boss amp isnt going to do much at all... at most you will get a slight rumble, but the people in front of you arent going to feel/hear much at all.

Mudderoy
06-12-2012, 11:17 PM
Plan "A" came in today.

Construction: Chrome plated spun copper
Max Input (psi): 175
Output (db) @ 100 psi: 146
Output (db) @ 150 psi: 153.5
Solenoid: Vortex 4 12-volt DC
Dimensions: 17"L x 8"W x 4"H

oderdene
06-12-2012, 11:31 PM
haha, congrats bro.

When you install them? Waiting a VIDEO of testing and real life use

PS: why not choose air horn?

Mudderoy
06-13-2012, 09:42 AM
haha, congrats bro.

When you install them? Waiting a VIDEO of testing and real life use

PS: why not choose air horn?

I have to install the air tank and all the hoses, and find a place to mount the air horn under the hood.

P.S. It IS an air horn! :D

Still working on the rumbler though.

denverd1
06-13-2012, 10:41 AM
Cool!! That oughta get their attention!

K-SKI
06-15-2012, 09:52 PM
here is what u need check this out

:link:

LizardRunner
06-18-2012, 03:27 PM
I've always liked the idea of a microwave transmission device, just fry their electronics and be done with it. muahaha

Mudderoy
05-30-2013, 12:32 PM
Off and on I have been trying different sources for 8" diameter PVC. I found one place that will sell me a 10 foot section for $70+ I only need a couple of feet though.

I have the sub and the amp, I just need an enclosure.

I'd like to use a tube and it needs to be able to stand up to the weather since it would be mounted outside. I guess I could make it weather proof.

Anyway, if anyone has some ideas....

4.3LXJ
05-30-2013, 12:55 PM
Tony, check with a well driller. They might have scraps and such. My local driller does

denverd1
05-30-2013, 01:19 PM
8" sub enclosure
http://www.ebay.com/itm/8-Inch-Truck-SUV-Car-Woofer-Black-Bass-Speaker-Box-New-8F-/400496025727?pt=US_Speaker_Sub_Enclosures&hash=item5d3f6c607f
$20 free shipping. cut it down some, then rhino line it
or hit up a pawn shop for some worn out home theater speakers you could cut down

EekGirl96
05-30-2013, 01:23 PM
here is what u need check this out

:link: (http://youtu.be/icnRMW6P9nc)

HAHA!!! oh man, I'm dying over here....that was funny

Ive always wanted train horns

Anyway, interesting concept you got going here Tony, will definately follow this thread :)

Mudderoy
05-30-2013, 02:07 PM
8" sub enclosure
http://www.ebay.com/itm/8-Inch-Truck-SUV-Car-Woofer-Black-Bass-Speaker-Box-New-8F-/400496025727?pt=US_Speaker_Sub_Enclosures&hash=item5d3f6c607f
$20 free shipping. cut it down some, then rhino line it
or hit up a pawn shop for some worn out home theater speakers you could cut down

Unfortunately this is a traditional use for the sub. What I am building is a device that is mounted on the outside of the rig. People in front of you get hit with the bass when you want them to move out of the way. I believe the commercial versions are call "Rumblers" and they have started putting them on police cars and ambulances due to the loud volume of the sound systems in the vehicles. I'm looking for an 8" tube about 2' long. PVC would be great since it wouldn't be affected by water.

denverd1
05-30-2013, 02:28 PM
wouldn't you need to use the conventional optimal air space for said speaker to get the best perfomance out of it?

Mudderoy
05-30-2013, 02:45 PM
wouldn't you need to use the conventional optimal air space for said speaker to get the best perfomance out of it?

Here is the commercial version.

http://www.fedsig.com/images/product_headers/6784833354f295af58ad74.jpg

:link: (http://www.fedsig.com/products/253/rumbler)

denverd1
05-30-2013, 02:52 PM
Ahah!!! now it all makes sense!!

XJ Wheeler
05-30-2013, 04:13 PM
You could probably make it out of fiberglass i guess. A lot of sub enclosers are made out of it, so you know it will handle the vibes. And it will handle the weather.

NW99XJ
05-30-2013, 05:15 PM
Ok figured its due time I chime in here on this one.....
I like the concept in general, however it has built in flaws that would be hard to overcome.
Having spent nearly a decade in an industry where this sort of topic came into play quite frequently, I have some hands on expertise in the subject.
First...let me say that the commercial "rumbler" devices on emergency vehicles, is producing more of a low frequency harmonic than an actual sonic distortion. Think of it like several people all whistling at the same time (try this and you'll see what I'm talking about) ...that "tone" that harmonic frequency your hearing almost seems louder than the whistles themselves. By essentially adding a frequency range to the existing sirens of around 182 to 400 Hz the "Rumbler" sirens add a level of sound wave that is able to be felt.... this is more of a really loud vibration than anything else. Now if you really want to break it down, thats all sound is ....is a vibration of the air molecules creating waves...the varying pitch and amplitude of said waves create different frequencies and volume levels. The rumblers you see/hear in emergency vehicles utilize the same kind of technology as a loud speaker combined with an air horn.... a speaker is basically just a fast moving diaphragm.... when you isolate the sound wave of the front from the rear, you have a more directional, and in the case of a sealed enclosure and amplified sound wave. An air horn uses the rapid vibration of a diaphragm in combination with the tuned frequency and directional amplification of the "horn" part of it to create a loud directional blast of sound. Take the diaphragm of an air horn, make it the size of a mid sized sub woofer, and seal it in a bucket/enclosure of sorts, TUNE that bucket or enclosure to a specific frequency range by changing its volume and port size/structure, and you have the basics of a rumbler. The cone structure and materials of a standard, or even competition subwoofer are just not capable of producing the kind of intense cycles that would be required to make something like this work in a D.I.Y. scenario.... what WOULD fit the bill is a servo driven diaphragm...these are capable of producing far more intense and longer throwing cycles than your typical "off the shelf" variety of speaker.
Take into consideration that in order to produce the decibel range of low frequency loud enough to actually shake thru a vehicle, overcoming its natural resonant frequencies, you're in the neighborhood of 130db or more..... this is easy when your trying to reproduce high frequencies at high volumes, lower frequencies are much harder and require far more energy to produce at high volumes.
For example.... i'll use an SPL (Sound Pressure Level) competition vehicle I helped design and whose system I built and installed.... a late 90's Toyota extended Cab pick up, had the compartment behind the front seats completely gutted and sealed off.... (and I DO mean air tight) ....in that air space an enclosure was fabricated using a myriad of fiberglass, and MDF. SIX 15" subwoofers were mounted into this enclosure, as a three pair configuration. EACH of these subs were fed 1500 watts of power by a dedicated amplifier, (yes thats six amps) to produce a very narrow range of frequencies (40Hrz to 60 Hrz).... EACH of the amps had its own regulated power supply, a dry cell battery with 2x 1 farad of capacitors as regulators. This array pretty much filled the entire bed of the truck. This vehicle had one purpose and one purpose only....to be loud. IIRC...we were measuring in the neighborhood of 140db....
For reference:
http://www.gabion1.co.uk/highway%20traffic%20noise%20control.png

I think currently the IASCA (International Auto Sound Challenge Association) world record for the loudest vehicle is right about 180db.... As you can see by the chart above, there arent many things in the world capable of producing that level of volume.

NOW...with that said....you dont need 170db to get somebody's attention.
The right range of frequencies, matched with the right harmonics, at a reasonable level, will be extremely effective.
Now I've mentioned the word harmonics a few times here, without getting too technically descriptive about fundamental frequencies vs. multiple integer frequencies, etc..... basically what that means is multiples of the same note. Harmonics play an important role when it comes to getting the attention of personnel in both open air AND and an enclosed structure like that of an insulated and relatively sealed vehicle. This is why you will always see multiple horns on a train horn assembly, and often times on a semi truck too.... yes there are exceptions to the later, but the rule still applies, the ability to create harmonics at the same SPL/DB level are crucial when warning someone(s) in multiple environments.
With that, trying to use one or even two standard 8" subs and a section of PVC piping, would not net enough frequency response to overcome things like ambient noise, open air, resonant frequencies of vehicles, well insulated vehicles, and weather. It's a great idea, and I would love the opportunity to fully reverse engineer one of the police rumblers, but I think in this case, for your needs, a good air horn (like the one you have) a supply/tank, and a really good, fast release, large bore solenoid to trigger it would (and I guarantee) net the kind of results your looking for.
The key to air horns is tube diameter, PSI, and how fast you can deliver that air to the back of the horn. A really quick, large bore solenoid will give you that "CRACK" the moment those air horns fire up, that pierces the air and everything around it commanding attention.

I know this is just so much nerdy rambling, but I hope this helps somewhat, or at least has provided a different perspective on the whole matter.
(thanks for reading)

Mountain Goat
05-30-2013, 06:54 PM
NEW99XJ-----Nice write up....thanks for sharing the information!

Mudderoy
05-31-2013, 04:09 PM
Ok figured its due time I chime in here on this one.....
I like the concept in general, however it has built in flaws that would be hard to overcome.
Having spent nearly a decade in an industry where this sort of topic came into play quite frequently, I have some hands on expertise in the subject.
First...let me say that the commercial "rumbler" devices on emergency vehicles, is producing more of a low frequency harmonic than an actual sonic distortion. Think of it like several people all whistling at the same time (try this and you'll see what I'm talking about) ...that "tone" that harmonic frequency your hearing almost seems louder than the whistles themselves. By essentially adding a frequency range to the existing sirens of around 182 to 400 Hz the "Rumbler" sirens add a level of sound wave that is able to be felt.... this is more of a really loud vibration than anything else. Now if you really want to break it down, thats all sound is ....is a vibration of the air molecules creating waves...the varying pitch and amplitude of said waves create different frequencies and volume levels. The rumblers you see/hear in emergency vehicles utilize the same kind of technology as a loud speaker combined with an air horn.... a speaker is basically just a fast moving diaphragm.... when you isolate the sound wave of the front from the rear, you have a more directional, and in the case of a sealed enclosure and amplified sound wave. An air horn uses the rapid vibration of a diaphragm in combination with the tuned frequency and directional amplification of the "horn" part of it to create a loud directional blast of sound. Take the diaphragm of an air horn, make it the size of a mid sized sub woofer, and seal it in a bucket/enclosure of sorts, TUNE that bucket or enclosure to a specific frequency range by changing its volume and port size/structure, and you have the basics of a rumbler. The cone structure and materials of a standard, or even competition subwoofer are just not capable of producing the kind of intense cycles that would be required to make something like this work in a D.I.Y. scenario.... what WOULD fit the bill is a servo driven diaphragm...these are capable of producing far more intense and longer throwing cycles than your typical "off the shelf" variety of speaker.
Take into consideration that in order to produce the decibel range of low frequency loud enough to actually shake thru a vehicle, overcoming its natural resonant frequencies, you're in the neighborhood of 130db or more..... this is easy when your trying to reproduce high frequencies at high volumes, lower frequencies are much harder and require far more energy to produce at high volumes.
For example.... i'll use an SPL (Sound Pressure Level) competition vehicle I helped design and whose system I built and installed.... a late 90's Toyota extended Cab pick up, had the compartment behind the front seats completely gutted and sealed off.... (and I DO mean air tight) ....in that air space an enclosure was fabricated using a myriad of fiberglass, and MDF. SIX 15" subwoofers were mounted into this enclosure, as a three pair configuration. EACH of these subs were fed 1500 watts of power by a dedicated amplifier, (yes thats six amps) to produce a very narrow range of frequencies (40Hrz to 60 Hrz).... EACH of the amps had its own regulated power supply, a dry cell battery with 2x 1 farad of capacitors as regulators. This array pretty much filled the entire bed of the truck. This vehicle had one purpose and one purpose only....to be loud. IIRC...we were measuring in the neighborhood of 140db....
For reference:
http://www.gabion1.co.uk/highway%20traffic%20noise%20control.png

I think currently the IASCA (International Auto Sound Challenge Association) world record for the loudest vehicle is right about 180db.... As you can see by the chart above, there arent many things in the world capable of producing that level of volume.

NOW...with that said....you dont need 170db to get somebody's attention.
The right range of frequencies, matched with the right harmonics, at a reasonable level, will be extremely effective.
Now I've mentioned the word harmonics a few times here, without getting too technically descriptive about fundamental frequencies vs. multiple integer frequencies, etc..... basically what that means is multiples of the same note. Harmonics play an important role when it comes to getting the attention of personnel in both open air AND and an enclosed structure like that of an insulated and relatively sealed vehicle. This is why you will always see multiple horns on a train horn assembly, and often times on a semi truck too.... yes there are exceptions to the later, but the rule still applies, the ability to create harmonics at the same SPL/DB level are crucial when warning someone(s) in multiple environments.
With that, trying to use one or even two standard 8" subs and a section of PVC piping, would not net enough frequency response to overcome things like ambient noise, open air, resonant frequencies of vehicles, well insulated vehicles, and weather. It's a great idea, and I would love the opportunity to fully reverse engineer one of the police rumblers, but I think in this case, for your needs, a good air horn (like the one you have) a supply/tank, and a really good, fast release, large bore solenoid to trigger it would (and I guarantee) net the kind of results your looking for.
The key to air horns is tube diameter, PSI, and how fast you can deliver that air to the back of the horn. A really quick, large bore solenoid will give you that "CRACK" the moment those air horns fire up, that pierces the air and everything around it commanding attention.

I know this is just so much nerdy rambling, but I hope this helps somewhat, or at least has provided a different perspective on the whole matter.
(thanks for reading)

So you are saying the commercial version doesn't work?

Also I already have the speaker and the amp, so I'm building it. :P

Mudderoy
09-11-2013, 01:24 PM
I'm trying to get my projects done, I have more in mind but I'm trying to stop collecting parts until I get caught up. Gosh I like having this problem.

I have everything I need for this project but the 8 inch diameter tube. Now 7inch would be better, but 8 inch seems to be a more popular size, like for PVC etc...

I would like something that won't be damaged by water, but at this point I'm considering just doing something to it to make it water proof.

So if anyone has any ideas for a 7 or 8 inch tube that is either 1 foot or 2 feet long, please post here.

Brasscatz
09-11-2013, 04:52 PM
Well, they used to sell those cheap $20 Bazooka subs at Walmart. Don't know if they still do, but you could use that and water proof it somehow.

Mudderoy
09-12-2013, 01:45 AM
Well, they used to sell those cheap $20 Bazooka subs at Walmart. Don't know if they still do, but you could use that and water proof it somehow.

I have the speaker, I just need a tube, and the tube needs to be round, without any opening.

Everything I see online looks like this...

http://www2.crutchfield.com.edgesuite.net/pix.crutchfield.com/ImageHandler/trim/150/135/products/2004/204/h204BT8014-fp.jpg

Dredwolf
09-12-2013, 01:59 AM
What about a tube concrete form, and seal it with marine resin?

Made stuff all the time out of cardboard, fiberglass and resin in a former life...

Mudderoy
09-12-2013, 01:59 AM
I remember seeing these at the hardware store, but I think I skipped it because it was 8" in diameter. I wanted to find a 7". I bet it was later when I changed my mind since everything is 6" then 8". I'll have another look at this one now.

Especially at this price!

XJ Wheeler
09-12-2013, 03:52 AM
I remember seeing these at the hardware store, but I think I skipped it because it was 8" in diameter. I wanted to find a 7". I bet it was later when I changed my mind since everything is 6" then 8". I'll have another look at this one now.

Especially at this price!

You could probably cut it done to 7" and re-secure it too, if you really wanted to.

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

Mudderoy
09-15-2013, 03:35 PM

redneck999
09-19-2013, 07:56 AM
It's this type of innovation and never say die perseverance that led to Mad Max spiked bumpers! Don't let the man keep you down!

Mudderoy
09-19-2013, 09:05 AM
It's this type of innovation and never say die perseverance that led to Mad Max spiked bumpers! Don't let the man keep you down!

:keegirl: