PDA

View Full Version : Welcome Scott in WY!!!

msmoorenburg
04-21-2012, 05:54 PM
Hi Scott in WY, welcome to the xjtalk forum!

We would love to know more about you and your Jeep. How you found us, etc...

Check out "Announcements" "How to post an image" for help posting images.

Got a Wrangler? Maybe a friend with one? http://www.WranglerTalk.com/

Scott in WY
04-23-2012, 11:23 AM
Hey All

picked up a clean 85 laredo 2 dr.

Working on getting it running, has been sitting in the Wyoming sun for 6ish yrs and the fuel in the tank is brown. Pulling all the smog crap of the engine.

1ATony
04-23-2012, 02:37 PM
Welcome to the site

4.3LXJ
04-24-2012, 10:45 AM
Hey All

picked up a clean 85 laredo 2 dr.

Working on getting it running, has been sitting in the Wyoming sun for 6ish yrs and the fuel in the tank is brown. Pulling all the smog crap of the engine.

Hey Scott, what engine is that? If it is a 2.8 it won't run right unless you replace that carb if you pull all that stuff off. Mine started out as a 86 2.8L Laredo

Scott in WY
04-24-2012, 12:18 PM
Yeah, looking at a weber redline conversion.
OK my plan is to change carb and go to a vac advance dist.
strip it down to bare engine.

but, would I be farther ahead to just do an engine swap?

4.3LXJ, looks like you put a 4.3 in yours.
What engine/trany will fit? it has an auto now.

My other option is to get it running and sell it for something newer.

undecided in WY...

Update, this jeep has been sitting for 14-15 years

4.3LXJ
04-24-2012, 01:33 PM
Scott, the Jeep 2.8L is the first of a batch of 60° V6s GM produced. It had some rear seal problems and was underpowered for the Jeep. Later versions were more successful however. They went to a one piece rear seal and upped the displacement and horsepower until this year the 3.6L has 335 hp. But I think instead of spending the money on a Weber you would be better off with the 3.4L Camaro engine. They came in three versions. Throttle body, multi point injection and supper charged. 140,160 and 210 hp respectively. They would all be a direct bolt in. The 4.3 takes a lot of work.